PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

olympic
05-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Rachael is apparently leaving due to college. So let's get that info to Agnes first!!

Rachael Flatt -> Christy Ness
Agnes Zawadzki and Brandon Mroz -> Rafael Arutunian

reese
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Remember when Michelle skated with a stress fracture at Skate Canada in '97 against Frank's wishes? He was so opposed to the idea that he refused to travel with her to the event.

leafygreens
05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
It's public now and by getting a statement from Frank Carroll, the Coach of All Coaches, Phil Hersh is pushing USFSA into action.

Oh, the irony.

Cheylana
05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh, the irony.
Not following... why is this ironic?

leafygreens
05-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Not following... why is this ironic?

Who ever thought Phil would do something useful other than bloviate?

ProgramerUSFS
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Thank you Vagabond for sharing this video to us, of Joshua Farris 2011 U.S. Nationals Free skate. As I sat watching the video, knowing that he had a broken bone, and could tell the pain that the young boy was going thru, I got tears in my eyes. As the event, that seams to drag on and on, knowing that his pain must have gotten worse, I couldn't wait for it to end. Then as I watched the coaches with him in the kiss and cry, and could hear what they said to him, as I turned up my sound all the way. I realized by Toms own words, to wave at the crowd, to smile, and that he endured allot. And to hear that boy say he couldn't even walk, and Tom and his asst coach just kept smiling and waving! It wasn't until that moment, I realized what type of coach, what type of person he really is.

There is no friend, or supporter who has anything to say after watching that video of Joshua. I am glad he has fired Tom's team, and think USFSA has a much deeper issue, because Flatt what only the tip of the iceburg. Phil needs to dig into Joshua's situation, because that boy was frankly "Abused" in my opinion. Smile for the crowd and wave, I would like to see him do that with a broken body.

Oldsk8ter
05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
If she was injured, she should have been replaced with Mirai Nagasu.

US might earned 3 Ladies spots for next season then.

Or they might not have. Mirai has yet to prove herself under pressure. Does anyone know for a fact Rachel didn't notify the USFSA or is everyone guessing?

ProgramerUSFS
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Or they might not have. Mirai has yet to prove herself under pressure. Does anyone know for a fact Rachel didn't notify the USFSA or is everyone guessing?

The only information we have is that Phil H in his tweets, said that he called USFSA officials and they told him that they didn't know anything about Flatt's condition. That was right after Flatt's FS skate, and then he did the articles. But no other information was released to confirm that further.

Cheylana
05-02-2011, 11:11 PM
It's speculation, based in part on this from one of Phil Hersh's columns (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/04/kim-ando-flatt-czisny-world-figure-skating.html):

U.S. Figure Skating chief executive David Raith, who left Moscow mid-week to attend the federation's annual meeting in suburban Chicago, said by telephone Saturday he was unaware of the Flatt injury until I told him what the skater had said after she skated.

Raith said he was going to send text messages immediately to seek an answer.

newbatgirl
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Who ever thought Phil would do something useful other than bloviate?

LOL! I'm just as shocked as you are. Phil has never been my favorite person but there aren't a lot of people in sports media who know enough and give a crap enough about skating to raise these questions. I'm glad he's asking them.

bek
05-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Mirai's highest placements are higher than Rachael's highest placements. And I believe at the last 3 international events they faced each other in Mirai's finished ahead of Rachael. To be quite frank, it wouldn't have been very difficult for Mirai to skate a better long than Rachael's. Heck Agnes, Christina could have skated better than that too.

ProgramerUSFS
05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
And you know he pushed her? You know it was his decision? You know the extent of the injury?

Yes, you can clearly see what he was doing in the kiss and cry with Joshua. You can see Tom controlling that situation. If that is how he acts with a boy who has a broken leg in public, in front of the cameras, can you imagine the pressure he would place on that young man when no cameras are on him. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what went on with Flatt. A little common sense will do.

After seeing that video, and hearing some of what you are all saying, I don't think he should be in charge of kids, as he clearly doesn't know whats correct and what isn't. And there is no way you can tell me that Joshua wanted to skate, and indure the pain. I bet both these skaters were in lots of pain weeks ahead of time. Someone just needs to get the kids to talk, and tell what happened. I think if the kids talk, Tom is done as a coach. That is just my hunch.

Oldsk8ter
05-02-2011, 11:33 PM
"In a practice just before his short, Josh landed a quad. He was encouraged to do another one and took a hard fall. That fall resulted in a deeply bruised hip and a torn adductor muscle. Strike one.

The medical team gave him pain meds to help him get through the short program.

Josh is severely allergic to anything dairy. He went to dinner last night and accidentally ingested something that contained dairy. A few hours later, he was in the hospital hooked up to an IV and being observed for complications of anaphylaxis. He got back to the hotel at 4am and got a few hours of sleep before having to go to warmup ice.
Strike two.

Still with puffy eyes and swollen lips, he went to get another shot of pain meds before he skated and found out that he couldn't have any because of the anti-allergy meds he'd had at the hospital. There was a drug interaction problem. So, he decided to go ahead and give it his best and skate his long with no pain meds at all.

He took the ice to skate his long. Because of the tenderness of his leg, he couldn't pull in as tight and fell on his first two triple axels. The second one, he came down weird and consequently broke his fibula.
Strike three."

This is horrible. Not sure it could get worse than this.

Oldsk8ter
05-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Mirai's highest placements are higher than Rachael's highest placements. And I believe at the last 3 international events they faced each other in Mirai's finished ahead of Rachael. To be quite frank, it wouldn't have been very difficult for Mirai to skate a better long than Rachael's. Heck Agnes, Christina could have skated better than that too.

All I am saying is no one can guarantee that someone will place high enough to give the US three spots. Not even Frank who I have the highest respect for. Mirai has certainly been known to fold when the pressure is on.

PDilemma
05-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Mirai would have had to have finished 8th or better. The eighth place skater (Murakami) scored 167.10.

Mirai scored 146.23 at Cup of China to start the season, coming off of lost training time due to injury. After that, her scores were 167.79 (TEB), 177.26 (Nats) and 189.46 (4CC). That makes her season average right around 170, which would have been good enough for sixth place.

It is quite probable that a healthy well-trained Mirai could have scored high enough to finish 8th or better. Much more probable than an injured Rachael performing any better than she did.