PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Frau Muller
05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
This is news to me. Could you please link to an embassy/consulate website stating that foreigners do not need a visa to Russia for stays up to 4 days?
As far as I'm aware, entry visa is required even if one is only changing planes in Russia and does not intend to leave the airport (transit visa): http://www.ruscon.org/visa_dep_ENG.html

I don't have it handy but I did see it on the Russian Consulte/Washington, DC website at the time that I was debating whether or not I should go to Moscow for a shorter time, without a visa. I could have done it for four days, then decided that the $2,500 airfare (direct DC to Moscow, bought 2 weeks before event) + cost of tickets wasn't worth it for only 4 days.

judiz
05-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Where were Rachael's parents and doctor in all this?

Ania
05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't have it handy but I did see it on the Russian Consulte/Washington, DC website at the time that I was debating whether or not I should go to Moscow for a shorter time, without a visa. I could have done it for four days, then decided that the $2,500 airfare (direct DC to Moscow, bought 2 weeks before event) + cost of tickets wasn't worth it for only 4 days.

It would seem strange if DC and New York consulates would have different visa rules, but I just checked the DC one (http://www.russianembassy.org/Embassy_eng/Consulate/tourist_visa.html) and don't see anything about not needing a visa for short stays there either. To be honest, this sounds utterly bizarre, especially in light of visas required even if one just changes planes. Could you have misinterpreted something?

skatemommy
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
From the Professional Skaters Association Tenets of Professionalism

4. When competitions or testing situations arise, we agree to keep our students and the parents of those students well informed and involve them in the decision making that affects their interest while at the same time avoiding emotional attachment to our students and their activities both in skating and out of skating which might impair our ability to render professional service.

PDilemma
05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
It is worth noting that after the short, she said that it was bothering her a week before they left. The implication of that quote is that her practices started not going well at that point.

I would assume that USFSA gets visas for alternates arranged in advance. They surely aren't going to let an issue like that impede them from getting alternates to competition when necessary. I highly doubt that a visa for Mirai would have been a problem. And it sounds as if Rachael should have been examined and considered a withdrawal a week before she left for Moscow.

Tom Z has a lot to answer for with this situation and the young man at Nats all in the same season. I hope someone official is questioning his judgment!

SmallFairy
05-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Travelling from Norway to Russia, you can get a Visa in two hours, as long as you pay for it. The fee at the Russian consulat is really expensive if you want your Visa quickly, but if you wait for two weeks or something, it's quite cheap. So, it's your choice. The faster, the more expensive, but it's no problem.

reese
05-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Frank isn't pleased: http://bit.ly/kvxxgX

Loves_Shizuka
05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
^This is getting quite :watch:

Tom Z has a lot to answer for with this situation and the young man at Nats all in the same season. I hope someone official is questioning his judgment!

What's this?

Frau Muller
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
One of the top sr men's competitors at US Natls had to limp off the ice...Joshua Farris, perhaps? Farris was 13th after the SP but down to 20th or less after a painful LP.

AliasJohnDoe
05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Frank isn't pleased: http://bit.ly/kvxxgX

I guess that should stop all the ridiculous speculation/excuses as to whether Mirai was ready to compete or not....she was ready!!

And Frank's annoyed, which he should be.

modern_muslimah
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
^This is getting quite :watch:

Ditto! :watch:

skatemommy
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I hope Frank files a grievance with the PSA and USFS and ISU!

olympic
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
From Hersh re his conversation with FC about Mirai:

...``She has moved on from that,'' he said. ``She was doing triple axels and triple lutz - triple loop in practice. She was ready to go.''

:eek:

:rollin:

Roxanne
05-02-2011, 07:39 PM
What's this?

"In a practice just before his short, Josh landed a quad. He was encouraged to do another one and took a hard fall. That fall resulted in a deeply bruised hip and a torn adductor muscle. Strike one.

The medical team gave him pain meds to help him get through the short program.

Josh is severely allergic to anything dairy. He went to dinner last night and accidentally ingested something that contained dairy. A few hours later, he was in the hospital hooked up to an IV and being observed for complications of anaphylaxis. He got back to the hotel at 4am and got a few hours of sleep before having to go to warmup ice.
Strike two.

Still with puffy eyes and swollen lips, he went to get another shot of pain meds before he skated and found out that he couldn't have any because of the anti-allergy meds he'd had at the hospital. There was a drug interaction problem. So, he decided to go ahead and give it his best and skate his long with no pain meds at all.

He took the ice to skate his long. Because of the tenderness of his leg, he couldn't pull in as tight and fell on his first two triple axels. The second one, he came down weird and consequently broke his fibula.
Strike three."

Loves_Shizuka
05-02-2011, 07:40 PM
^Good god, poor guy, what a total nightmare at one of the biggest competitions of your life. This Tom Z character sounds like a bit of a ... handful.

Re: Mirai doing 3a's and 3z3r's in practice lately... I think Frank is just trying to make a point.