PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

orbitz
05-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Why does she [Mirai] need a visa? She can't just show a regular passport?

It depends on the country. Some countries require a visa in addition to a passport; Some doesn't. Some countries, ie Egypt, allows you to buy a visa at when you arrive at the airport; Some, ie China, requires you to apply a visa several month in advance. I'm not sure what Russia rule is regarding foreigners visiting her country.

victoriaheidi
05-02-2011, 02:37 AM
It depends on the country. Some countries require a visa in addition to a passport; Some doesn't. Some countries, ie Egypt, allows you to buy a visa at when you arrive at the airport; Some, ie China, requires you to apply a visa several month in advance. I'm not sure what Russia rule is regarding foreigners visiting her country.

I KNOW that whatever process they have was expedited in advance of Worlds. I'm not sure about the whole "alternates traveling" thing, but I don't see why alternates shouldn't get visas.

IceAlisa
05-02-2011, 02:39 AM
ETA-Here is "One Day I'll Fly Away" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3VVSCBdIQ (ignore the stumble)

I know it's old, but the point is to show that she has the artistry somewhere in there, but needs help expressing it.

Yes, no doubt the younger Rachael had beauty in her skating. I remember being shocked after seeing her skate as a novice--she was lovely and unrecognizable from the senior Rachael.

This was a nice program for her although the music and the costume were atrocious. She was graceful, had a great spread eagle and a decent Ina! But as time went on, this graceful quality disappeared. Where had it gone?

RD
05-02-2011, 02:41 AM
I saw flashes of "it" in her gala performance at Nats. "It" IS there. But perhaps it's more to do with tightening up for competition and judges, which frankly virtually all skaters do.

ETA: I think Rachel could use a different atmosphere, different input. Encouragement to be who she is on the ice and not try TOO hard. But I think she's done after this week. Sad to see her go out like this, but if she's going to college full-time, no way she's going to stay at the elite level.

Casey2
05-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Flatt was injured so much of this season, I wondered if it was due to her skating 'full time' and pushing her body too far too fast. Comments?

Kwantumleap
05-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Not suggesting the result is her fault, but this may come back to get her next year.

RD
05-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Not suggesting the result is her fault, but this may come back to get her next year.

Aha, just like what happened to Nagasu this year...what goes around tends to come back around...

SkateFan66
05-02-2011, 02:48 AM
(1) Why does she need a visa? She can't just show a regular passport? (2) The difference is that Evan was in position to vie for a medal. Rachael wasn't and hasn't been all season! She was propped up at nationals like always.

(1) For a U.S. citizen to enter Russia for any purpose, they must possess a valid U.S. passport and a visa issued by a Russian embassy or consulate. The visa must be obtained before arrival to Russia.

(2) In 2009, Lysacek was not considered by many to be a medal contender at the WC. He failed to qualify for the GP Final and finished third at the US Championships. There were many people that felt that Weir should have been placed on the world team that year instead of Lysacek because he had done better than Evan in the GP events.

FSWer
05-02-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm not catching on to how and were Rachael was pushed. But to answer Alissa. I would say it's because she's a trooper!!! So Rachael IS an only child? I was always wondering if she had siblings or not.

jlai
05-02-2011, 02:59 AM
Flatt was injured so much of this season, I wondered if it was due to her skating 'full time' and pushing her body too far too fast. Comments?

I wondered the same thing. Like Debbie Thomas she's been so good juggling school and skating for so long the year when she skates full time she actually has to mentally and physically adjust. JMHO

aftershocks
05-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the link to another of Rachael's exhibtions, victoriaheidi. I too remember enjoying Rachael's programs more when she was much younger. The Skate for Hope exhibition number is quite lovely and nice for her. It seems as others have said that she is looser and more genuinely expressive -- too bad she was unable to fully develop more along these lines of pulling out more of herself and tapping into genuine expressiveness with music that is a better fit. I also liked the different look she had with her hair styled in a decorative updo (this was obviously before she cut it).

I also like Rachael's leg position in her layback spin (better than Yu Na has ever been able to achieve -- the aesthetically beautiful leg position in a layback spin must be extremely hard to do since not many ladies do it well). Even MK only achieved a good leg position during one season after working with a spin coach. Both Hughes sisters had excellent leg position in their laybacks, as did Angela Nikodinov, and some others.

victoriaheidi
05-02-2011, 05:07 AM
I also like Rachael's leg position in her layback spin (better than Yu Na has ever been able to achieve -- the aesthetically beautiful leg position in a layback spin must be extremely hard to do since not many ladies do it well). Even MK only achieved a good leg position during one season after working with a spin coach. Both Hughes sisters had excellent leg position in their laybacks, as did Angela Nikodinov, and some others.

I love this photo of her from the WTT-I found it on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rachael_Flatt_Spin_2009_World_Team_Trophy.jpg

Triple Butz
05-02-2011, 05:16 AM

Her team just went about everything wrong this year. Instead of working on her posture and skating skills, they retooled her jumps (which were the only part of her skating that DIDN'T need work) and pushed her too hard on demanding triple/triples like the 3lutz/3loop which she had been promising all season long and never put out. I remember when Beatrisa Liang was after that combo in the mid-2000s which lead to hip surgery and she was never the same again after that. Another brilliant strategy by Tom Zakrajsek. (Get the H3LL out of there, Agnes and co.).

all_empty
05-02-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm not fan of Rachael's skating, but lets give her credit where credit is due.

Whether it was the right move or not, she fought through a prolonged season with an injury.

Not many skaters can skate through a championship while hurt. Perhaps one of the reasons why she looked tentative in her freeskate is that she totally rearranged the jumping passes -- taking out both 3Lz and adding a 2A and 3Lo. If she did that after her disastrous short, you gotta give her some credit for thinking on the fly.

I've said all season long that the free skate was a snoozer, but had she hit two 2A and five triples (two 3T, one 3S and two 3Lo) she probably would've been 8th or so in the free.

No one will be harder on herself than Rachael. Whatever she decides, I wish her the best.

Mayra
05-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Here's wishing Rachael a full, speedy recovery and a :kickass: summer before heading on to Stanford. :)