PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

victoriaheidi
05-02-2011, 12:56 AM
While beauty is subjective, I have found that Rachael's exhibition programs can be quite lovely, perhaps because they have more of her and less of Tom Z. in them?

In particular, her "One Day I'll Fly Away" program stands out as a really beautiful exhibition. I missed "Your Song" (no longer on youtube, *sigh*), but I'm sure that was equally beautiful.

I would like to see her try slower music like those two. I've been wondering how Rachael would do with a program choreographed to waltzes from A Little Night Music.

newbatgirl
05-02-2011, 12:58 AM
I completely agree. I saw Rachael skate at this year's Improv-Ice and couldn't believe my eyes. She was connecting to the music and not only looked like she was having fun, but was fun to watch. So she's capable of lovely, connected, joyful skating, I just don't think it's been encouraged properly in her.

YES! I was thinking specifically of her Improv on Ice performance. THAT Rachael is not ready for retirement. Overcoached, tense, emotionless Rachael on other hand...

edonice
05-02-2011, 12:59 AM
I sound crazy saying this, but Alissa has such a pretty smile, and I love seeing her use it!

Not crazy at all. After her disappointments last year, it's been so nice to see Alissa genuinely smiling, and doing a lot of it!

a56
05-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I felt so bad for Rachael. She just looked lost during the free skate. :(

AliasJohnDoe
05-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I think Rachael would do a good job with "Pink Floyd". Rock IT ...for a change.

FSWer
05-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Sorry to hear it. What happened to Miss Rachael?

RD
05-02-2011, 01:19 AM
It's kind of like these kids at my high school. Some sound like pre-written press releases when they get up in front of the school to speak at assemblies or whatever, and they never get the crowd very energized. The ones who get everyone excited are the ones who get up there and lay it all out without sounding scripted or memorized (and, though this isn't true with Mirai and Rachael, I tend to tune out the scripted ones-I wonder if they even mean what they're saying!).

Whew, thought I was the only one with this frame of mind. Nagasu (most of the time, not always) does not give scripted or predictable comments and that's refreshing. Some may see it as "immature", "childish", "needing to grow up" or whatever, but how boring would the world be if everyone gave predictable answers? Oh well, JMO.

IceAlisa
05-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Well, I'd love to be wrong about Rachael but I haven't seen and wasn't able to find any recent exhibitions of hers on youtube. Could someone please link, if it even exists?

aftershocks
05-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks edonice for your comments. I appreciate what you have said in response too, victoriaheidi, newbatgirl, and others. Maybe that is it. Rachael seemed to peak at around 15 or 16 in terms of her skating skills, and she may have needed a new coach and a different direction then that took into account who she is as a person, and it just didn't happen.

Perhaps Rachael would have been happier and been able to improve and feel her programs and project in a more genuine way had she been able to find a coach who understood how to help her develop in that way.

Also, I much prefer Rachael's strawberry blonde -- it seemed to suit her, so if coloring was felt necessary, they could have added highlights in the red shades instead of going so yellowish blonde. It looks like her blonde hair did have some highlights added to tone down the bright yellow prior to Worlds.

ITA, edonice about the lovely surprise of Alissa's programs this season. Her skating has been a revelation, and I swear it seems to me that a number of other ladies competitors are trying to pattern their programs in a similar way, and trying to recreate a similar magic. Easier said than done.

Thanks for mentioning Yuka Sato's words about Alissa. I hadn't read that. Very interesting. It reminds me of manleywoman's podcast interview with Yuka at the 2011 Nationals (www.manleywoman.com -- podcast #46). Yuka described how difficult it was for her when she left Japan and moved to North America to learn from a new coach (I believe she said her parents felt it was necessary in order for her to grow as a skater). Yuka counts the difficulty of that experience and her growth in getting through it as the reason for her later success. Her advice for Alissa then seems to come from her personal experience of becoming independent for the first time.

RD
05-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Well, I'd love to be wrong about Rachael but I haven't seen and wasn't able to find any recent exhibitions of hers on youtube. Could someone please link, if it even exists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxf99tdgMXs&feature=channel_video_title

aftershocks
05-02-2011, 01:40 AM
This is an NHK Trophy exhibition of Rachael's -- only one I could find with a quick search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obR0Kkry6mg&feature=fvsr

ETA:
same program as RD's link above, but different event and different costume -- interesting to compare

Aceon6
05-02-2011, 01:56 AM
The skaters I love most are the ones willing to be spectacular flops in the pursuit of their passion. Rachael's programs with Tom have been SAT prep classes. Nothing passionate about them at all. Just 3 points here, 5 there, and making sure she doesn't skip any questions. Perhaps that's why I'm so disappointed about the whole Worlds fiasco.

leafygreens
05-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Hasn't Rachael been injured at least since the GPF because that was her excuse for performing badly there? She had ample time to know that she had a bad injury and withdraw. In any case, I didn't agree with her placement above Mirai at nationals, but the USFS made their bed and now must lie in it.

Rachael probably knows this is her last shot at worlds. She will never be able to keep up her form after going into college. It's obvious why she pushed herself into going, but I don't know why she expected a miracle to happen when she has been doing steadily worse and worse all season. I'm really angry at those who criticized Alissa's last outing at Worlds, because now Rachael had the same ball in her court and dropped it, while Alissa held up her end of the bargain.

This being said, I completely disagree with her for pushing it just to go to worlds. It's not like this was a one-shot deal for her like the Olympics, and it's not like she was vying for a title or even a medal. Her showing up there was a complete waste in all aspects. She looked an absolute mess.

If USFS didn't get Mirai a "just in case" visa it's unlikely she could have procured one in time.

Why does she need a visa? She can't just show a regular passport?

Evan Lysacek won the 2009 World Championships with a stress fracture to his left foot. The foot began bothering him after 4CC and was diagnosed shortly before the WC.

The difference is that Evan was in position to vie for a medal. Rachael wasn't and hasn't been all season! She was propped up at nationals like always.

Rachael said she only found out last Friday that she had a stress fracture. I don't think that was enough time for them to fly in Mirai.

She found out she had a stress fracture on Friday, but knew that something was wrong for months. There's no excuse to say "I didn't know" because she did know there was a problem, even if not the exact diagnosis.

I have never felt that Rachael was an exceptional skater or that she ever skated well enough to win the U.S. title. Great for Rachael that she does have that one U.S. title, but Mirai had better programs at Nats this year (despite silly botching of a spin in her Nats lp), and I felt Mirai should have been the one to go to Worlds with Alissa.

Second this.

And you know all this how? Big difference from feeling pain and getting a diagnosis.

Tendons at GPF, toe or something at Nationals, fracture at Worlds? Come on! She knew she wasn't in top form to compete for a long time now.

Honestly, I think Rachael (and most skaters, for that matter) believes she's capable of a lot more than she actually is, which may be why she competed when she really shouldn't have. I'm not saying it's arrogance, but more just a strong desire to fulfill a dream, probably combined with a lot of praise and eagerness from her coach, parents, ect.

Because Rachael has never been told "NO." She's an only child of genius parents pushed into AP classes and college (shoved down our throats at every opportunity) and gifted with scores from the USFS. It's easy to get a big head in a situation like this.

IceAlisa
05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you both RD and aftershocks.

The costume in the second link is a lot more flattering. As to the skating: while this is SO much better and is actually watchable than the horrible Slaughter (and pretty much anything would be better)--she does have more freedom of movement but still lacks the flow and fluidity on the ice. And she is soooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooooooow.

No stretch, no nice positions, excepting the spread eagle but overall an improvement. Perhaps if she were allowed to skate like this and not like a ridiculous little Broadway wannabe, she'd have more luck. Perhaps not.

victoriaheidi
05-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Because Rachael has never been told "NO." She's an only child of genius parents pushed into AP classes and college (shoved down our throats at every opportunity) and gifted with scores from the USFS. It's easy to get a big head in a situation like this.

While everything you said makes sense, I think the reason she thinks she's capable of more than she really is has less to do with bigheadedness and more to do with being an overachiever. She's an only child of genius parents pushed into AP classes and college and assumes that she can be amazing at anything because, if she works hard enough, it'll all happen.

ETA-Here is "One Day I'll Fly Away" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3VVSCBdIQ (ignore the stumble)

I know it's old, but the point is to show that she has the artistry somewhere in there, but needs help expressing it.