PDA

View Full Version : RSF forcing Russian coaches to coach only Russians until Sochi

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

cholla
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Pechalat/Bourzat were leaving in any case.

?? If it had been up to them and their coaches, they would still be in Moscow. Their words, not mine.

Asli
05-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Ugh, Zueva & Shpilband would snuff the sexy right out of I/K. :(

I'm not so sure of that. When V/M switched to S&Z, they were different from the other couples in that camp and I think they kept their individuality. They continued skating in a more mature way, are more balletic and tidier and Tessa even hasn't become skinny like Shpilband's other female skaters. So hopefully I/K can keep their individual style too.

Ziggy
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Does Gorshkov have any non-Russian teams besides Hoffman/Zavozin?

Zvorygina/Bernadowski are consulted by him.

Sylwia Nowak is in Moscow with two Polish dance teams at the moment. I don't know with which coach she's consulting though.

Remember that although very few foreign skaters work with Russian coaches full-time, loads consult with them. Will consultations also not be allowed? That surely can't be enforced, especially when it happens outside Russia (in which case, Russian state resources aren't used).

When you take the king's silver, you have to abide by the king's rules. *If* Russian government funds are subsidizing Russian coaches salaries and the rinks they work in, then it's not unreasonable for the Russian government to decree that said coaches work only with Russian skaters going into Sochi. JMHO.

Yep. Correct me with I'm wrong but haven't all the rinks built recently (where conditions are absolutely incredible) built entirely from public funds?

So at least let Zhulin work with Pechalat/Bourzat. I thought they were being ousted to make place for I/K?

Well if P/B are leaving for Krylova & Camerlengo, then this is a positive development, no?

Zhulin is a decent coach but he has made some very bad program decisions IMO (P/B's last season's FD, I/K's this season's FD).

As for I/K leaving to Shpilband and Zoueva, such decision would be very silly.

And it's not just because I consider S&Z to be LUCIFER. As has been pointed out many times already, they have 34325436536 teams training with them.

Two of those teams are World champions. One of those teams contains Marina's son. At least those three teams surely are going to be their priority.

I/K are special talents and they deserve special attention.

I prefer the technique Zhulin teaches to the technique S/Z teach. Shpilband's teams are doing the tricks, but their overall quality is not as good as the Zhulin or Zazoui teams IMO. Virtue/Moir still throw a lot of snow off their blades and don't have that sweet edge quality that DelShoes and now Pechalat/Bourzat have IMO. Many of the other Shpilband teams have this problem and in addition are sloppy with their free legs and lines.

AMEN! :respec:

Ah yes, the good old days when only the best skaters with the most wonderful qualities won medals. Not like these young whippersnappers today galloping across the ice on their toepicks kicking up snowstorms.

Whilst you're obviously ironic, I definitely feel this way.

If you replace "gimme 80s Madonna" with "gimme 80s Usova" and "gimme Banamarama" with "gimme Anissina," then this song shows perfectly how I feel about the current shocking state of Ice Dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_i8S05uUas

DRAMA & mature expression > sickly sweet kids doing twizzles at 100kms per hour

CoP has done wonders for Singles and Pairs IMO but in Ice Dance, whilst it results in huge technical advancement, the programs became what they are in singles: a series of technical elements.

Asli
05-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Remember that although very few foreign skaters work with Russian coaches full-time, loads consult with them. Will consultations also not be allowed?

Consultations will be allowed only if the Russian coach deliberately teaches his foreign student WRONG technique to sabotage said student's chances of beating any Russian rivals in Sochi. ;)

:EVILLE:

Ziggy
05-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Consultations will be allowed only if the Russian coach deliberately teaches his foreign student WRONG technique to sabotage said student's chances of beating any Russian rivals in Sochi. ;)

:EVILLE:

Well I don't think that Zvorygina/Bernadowski are exactly going to be rivals for any of the Russian dance teams :lol: so maybe nobody will mind them spending some time in Odintsovo. :P

Asli
05-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Well I don't think that Zvorygina/Bernadowski are exactly going to be rivals for any of the Russian dance teams :lol: so maybe nobody will mind them spending some time in Odintsovo. :P

In one of the interviews translated, one of the big guns (don't remember whom) was saying that Morozov would be able to keep training Ando and Amodio, who are actually big threats to Russian skaters. So probably lots of other exceptions will be made.

Or maybe the Russian Fed. believes that Morozov would prefer going abroad to dropping Miki.

As for Amodio, they must have imagined he's not a threat because he's so stupid. Probably he'll be 5th after the Olympic SP, decide he doesn't have a chance for a medal and strip in the middle of the ice to show he isn't old-fashioned and is going to transform figure skating. And that time he shall get a deduction.

Ziggy
05-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Or maybe the Russian Fed. believes that Morozov would prefer going abroad to dropping Miki.

I think that's the case.

Morozov is the hottest coach in single skating at the moment (which makes me :rolleyes: but still :P) and if the Russian Fed really wants him, they must realise that they are going to make some concessions for him. I mean he could easily get a job in any other country, if he wanted to.

Although I'd be really glad if they forced Fernandez to get another coach. :P

luCN
05-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Although I'd be really glad if they forced Fernandez to get another coach.

well,I really hope Fernandez change coach as soon as possible...:P

Marco
05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Although I'd be really glad if they forced Fernandez to get another coach. :P

But he got 2 quads while under Morosov and is getting rather consistent with his effortless jumps.

Style wise and politik wise he can definitely do better under a different coach, but Morosov is probably one of the best to guarantee consistency / results.

Thais
05-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, that is their weakness, but why should non-Russian experts (choreographers) help Russian skaters to medal?

Because non-Russian experts have the wisdom to see that, in the end, it's all about those amazing skaters that work really, really hard and not about their federation new politics.

Ajax
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm not so sure of that. When V/M switched to S&Z, they were different from the other couples in that camp and I think they kept their individuality. They continued skating in a more mature way, are more balletic and tidier and Tessa even hasn't become skinny like Shpilband's other female skaters. So hopefully I/K can keep their individual style too.

Yes but Zueva and Shpilband suck at choreographing anything sensual/sexy. Just look at V/M's dorky whitebread "Latin" choreo in their FD (And I say this as a huge V/M fan)

Fashionista
05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
well,I really hope Fernandez change coach as soon as possible...:P

He will.

LadyGray
05-06-2011, 06:41 AM
There were those who thought Isabel (not Oliver) was sorely lacking some elegant qualities of line and edges, as well, so as usual it's chacon a son gout. ;)

I read this and thought immediately of this (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2618733&postcount=49) ;)

marbri
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Isabel was very skilled from the knee down. Another story from the knee up.

alilou
05-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Russia's got the post-Olympic blues before they've even started
http://www.rusbiznews.com/news/n1050.html

A thousand days before the opening of the Sochi Olympics, Russian athletes have reached a nadir. During the 2010-2011 winter season, which ended in the defeat of Vyacheslav Bykov's team at the Ice Hockey World Championship, Russians only managed to win two top awards. In their race for gold, the future Olympic hosts have been outdistanced by even... the Australians. This correspondent for "RusBusinessNews" has been figuring out who is going to rouse the Russian sports world from its coma in the next three years and how this is going to be done.

It's not sounding good, but a lot can change in 3 yrs.

The pressure on I&K, V&T, Gachinski, Leonova, Makarova, et al must be enormous

ETA: Russia signs multi-million dollar deal with Gazprom to prepare team for Sochi 2014
http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2014/13043-russia-signs-multi-million-dollar-deal-with-gazprom-to-prepare-team-for-sochi-2014

They're certainly throwing enough money at it. It worked for Canada.