PDA

View Full Version : Post-Worlds Retirements

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

newbatgirl
05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I think with that surprise bronze medal, Maia and Alex are firmly the USA's number 2 team now.
Samuelson/Bates will not be granted second position by default.

It will be very interesting to see the GP assignments when they come out. SamBates will not be seeded but the Shibs will be so they may compete head to head at some point well before Nats.

Civic
05-02-2011, 12:15 AM
NO WAY! I wouldn't mind seeing these five stay until Sochi. Korpi could be a world medalist if she got her flip and lutz straightened out.
Kira Korpi makes a lovely picture on the ice. However, she has been skating at the world level for some time. My gut tells me that if she hasn't worked through her jump problems by now, she probably never will.

a56
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
I don't see Miki retiring. She might even win a 3rd world title and seriously challenge in Sochi, depending on how the Russian junior ladies do at the senior level.

I'd like to see Joubert skate at the Worlds in his home country next year, although it was kind of painful to watch him at the Moscow worlds. :( I don't really see him continuing past that, unfortunately.

I hope Pechalat and Bourzat come back from this disappointment and win worlds next year. Very unfortunate what happened. :( Delschoes also ended up 4th a few times before they won worlds.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Takahashi will continue. I thought he was going to retire for sure after worlds.

How is it that the Shibs didn't win Junior Worlds even once? :confused: They are the solid #2 American ice dance team now, and one day, they'll do to D/W what D/W did to Belgosto & what Belgosto did to L/T (take first place in the eyes of international and home judges).

newbatgirl
05-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Joubert needs to end things. If he skates in France like he skated in Moscow, it will devastate him. I'd hate to see him crushed like that at home and his list of issues just seems to keep growing.

judgejudy27
05-02-2011, 12:42 AM
LOL Pechelat and Bourzat will never win Worlds. This year was by far their best shot to medal ever. They basically had to have a disaester to lose the bronze and that is what happened. They might have a shot at the bronze with Worlds in France next year, but it will be alot harder with the up and coming teams improving. Delobel & Schoenfelder had beaten all the top teams at various points and won a European title before their World title. Nothing like P&B who arent miles behind V&M and D&W.

Miki Ando did so well this year mostly by just how poor the ladies event was this year. It wasnt any drastic improvement in her performances. She wouldnt have won any major title since...well probably the year Jill Trenary won with her performancesto win Worlds this year, and she wouldnt have medalled in Vancouver either with her performances to win Worlds this year . Imagine putting Ando from Moscow vs Kim of Vancouver or even Asada of Turin last year, what a blowout that would be. Credit her for taking advantage of how things were though.

MikiAndoFan#1
05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
LOL Pechelat and Bourzat will never win Worlds.

Never say never. ;)

judgejudy27
05-02-2011, 12:55 AM
What is the closest P&B have ever come to D&W or V&M in the last couple years. And how much older than both teams are they. Seriously I think they blew their golden shot of ever winning a World bronze, forget a gold.

MikiAndoFan#1
05-02-2011, 01:03 AM
What is the closest P&B have ever come to D&W or V&M in the last couple years.

You give too much importance to past results. The fact that Péchalat & Bourzat have never beaten Davis & White and Virtue & Moir in the past doesn't mean they won't beat them in the future. Péchalat & Bourzat improved so much this season and I can only expect more improvement from them.

And how much older than both teams are they.

Age doesn't matter.

orbitz
05-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Joubert needs to end things. If he skates in France like he skated in Moscow, it will devastate him. I'd hate to see him crushed like that at home and his list of issues just seems to keep growing.

I thought Joubert's LP in Moscow was one of the better LP he has delivered within the past 2 years or so. I didn't care for the program itself, but jump-wise he landed the 4t, both 3a and only stumpled out of one jump. He seemed satisfied with himself after the performance. It's still possible for him to skate well next year but the consistency just isn't there anymore.

judgejudy27
05-02-2011, 01:37 AM
You give too much importance to past results. The fact that Péchalat & Bourzat have never beaten Davis & White and Virtue & Moir in the past doesn't mean they won't beat them in the future. Péchalat & Bourzat improved so much this season and I can only expect more improvement from them.

Age doesn't matter.

There isnt even a remote chance P&B have more improvement ahead than D&W or V&M, let alone much more. Age doesnt matter? It does when you are talking about someone much better than you for years who is also much younger than you.

MikiAndoFan#1
05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
There isnt even a remote chance P&B have more improvement ahead than D&W or V&M, let alone much more. Age doesnt matter? It does when you are talking about someone much better than you for years who is also much younger than you.

Well, I feel differently.

PashaFan
05-02-2011, 10:32 AM
What is the closest P&B have ever come to D&W or V&M in the last couple years. And how much older than both teams are they. Seriously I think they blew their golden shot of ever winning a World bronze, forget a gold.

You REALLY don't like Natalie & Fabian do you ?!!!!.
Yes D/W & V/M are ahead of them now but I think that's been with A LOT OF HELP from the judges. I thought Natalie & Fabian were better than Meryl & Charlie in the short dance but the judges are making it clear that they now favour the North American couples now.
I love V/M & think they should have won the Gold medal. But for me D/W are turning ice dance into mini pairs skating.
But don't give up on Pechalat & Borzat yet, remember Del/Sch were the nearly couple for years then won the Euro's in 2007 & the World's in 2008 & dominated the Grand Prix series in 2008 & had it not been for Isabelle's shoulder injury & pregnancy would have gone on to challenge for an Olympic medal in Vancouver.

wonderlen
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
NO WAY! I wouldn't mind seeing these five stay until Sochi. Korpi could be a world medalist if she got her flip and lutz straightened out.

Korpi has been competing for so long and if she doesn't straightened her F/Lz by now, she never will. Imo time for her is running out. In one or two years, European senior ladies will be dominated by the Russian skaters..

wonderlen
05-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Mao, Yuna, Miki, Caroline, Alissa, Rachael. It's time please retire!!

If all of them retire, we are left with.....let see.... competition full of inconsistent skaters and LOL :lol::lol::lol:
It will be a battle of who fall the least!!

JerseySlore
05-02-2011, 04:28 PM
If all of them retire, we are left with.....let see.... competition full of inconsistent skaters and LOL :lol::lol::lol:
It will be a battle of who fall the least!!

And Mirai will still manage to not win the whole thing.:slinkaway