PDA

View Full Version : Post-Worlds Retirements

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

blue_idealist
05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
With World championships in France next season, Joubert and Pechalat&Bourzat said they will stay for at least another season.
Alban Preaubert did not retire. I guess he wanted Joubert and Amodio to skate well enough to have 3 spots at Worlds next season...too bad !

I think Alban might be happy to skate at Euros even though he might not get to skate at Worlds. And who knows, with Joubert skating as badly as he is lately, he might..:) for Alban but :( for Joubert.

JerseySlore
05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Yuna has so much on her plate right now so I just can't see her doing GP circuit thing. But then again, many of her projects at least partially depend on her continued success as competitive athlete, so I don't see her retiring altogether either.

judgejudy27
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
2007 Worlds
3 Tanith Belbin / Benjamin Agosto 195.43
7 Meryl Davis / Charlie White 179.14

Difference 16.29

2011 Worlds
1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE 185.27
3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI 163.79

Difference 21.48

Are those extra 5 points really that insurmountable?

You need to remember Davis & White did not pass Belbin & Agosto until the very Olympic season. B&A stayed clearly in front almost the entire quad. So yes an additional 5 points gap indicate S&S are unlikely to catch D&W by Sochi. B&A also struggled to find the right vehicle and improve for awhile, had some bad luck, and with their failure to win their much anticapted major title gradually fell out of favor.

Anyway I was responding to people who said D&W should just move on since obviously they must know they cant hold off S&S which is a ridiculous logic at this point.

judgejudy27
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Pairs: I think Kavaguti and Pang & Tong might retire before Sochi, not sure about right now. Evora & Ladwig might retire now, and the Zhangs probably will retire or have already.

Men: Van Der Perren, Bradley, Contesti all seem likely. Joubert after next years Worlds.

Ladies: Miki Ando and Rachel Flatt for sure, Wagner and Zhang maybe.

blue_idealist
05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't think Miki's retiring. She might take a year off.

julieann
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
In pairs, I see Kavaguti retiring before the Olympics. I actually see Smirnov joining Bazarova. Smirnov (27) is 2 years older than Larionov (25), but I see that switch happening. Bazarova/ Smirnov would be a great team, I think.

What makes you think Bazarova and Larionov are breaking up?

BTW Larionov is 24 and Smirnov is 26

Loves_Shizuka
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
^Miki has said many times she aims to be in Sochi.

dinakt
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM

And in her latest post- Wolds interview she said she is not even sure now about taking a year off.
It seems that Miki is still deciding what to do next year, but she hopes to continue until Sochi.
It'll be tricky for her, though- she relies so much on Morozov and clearly trusts him completely. In fact, in interview she says she is not sure she'd be able to skate without him. If Morozov is indeed obligated to drop foreign students, might be a tough situation for her.

mia joy
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Seriously, have people saying D/W will/should retire been drinking or smoking something? That's totally NOT happening! They're on top of their game and one look at them is enough to say how competition hungry they still are. They still want to improve and besides I can imagine them wanting to prove themselves by winning against full-trained V/M. If I were them, I'd like to give this Olympic gold one more shot as well, even if it was about to end with a sliver or bronze. if there is someone who's already won everything, it's V/M, but as someone already said, they'd probably wonna retire as World champions, not silver medalists, besides they also look excited about finally being able to train normally. So I am 100% positive both teams are staying, with D/W staying until Sochi almost for sure.

And please, do not compare D/W surpassing B/A with the possibility of the Shibs surpassing D/W. As someone already stated, B/A were never a team of the quality of Meryl and Charlie. They were also never World champions. What they had was a benefit of competing during a totally dead period in ice dance, with no real stars. If they were in the same generation of dancers as D/W and V/M, they'd probably never win their medals.

And plus, there still are Samuelson/Bates. I'm really curious to see who's gonna be USA's no 2 next season.

Besides, 24 and 23 is still such a young age for a dance team! with all those teenagers appearing everywhere, people seem to forget the best ice dance performances are usually delivered by mature, 30-ish skaters. I believe both D/W and V/M can still become so much better in terms of expression and artistry as they grow older. I wouldn't want to miss possible masterpieces because of somebody's premature retirement.

judgejudy27
05-01-2011, 09:54 PM

I predict all the skaters who "take a year off" wont be back. That goes for Pang & Tong and all the others who talk about it too. The field isnt going to get weaker in any of the disciplines, all except the pairs will get alot stronger in fact, so aging skaters arent going to come back and think they will do really well after some time off. Only Shen & Zhou type legends with that kind of respect can hope to do that in the twilight of their careers. The rest will look like Sasha Cohen should they dare, but most arent as unwise as she was.

pinky166
05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
What about Brian Joubert? Tomas Verner? They have strong contenders within their own countries, will they retire now? Has Alban Preaubert retired after not making the French team again this year?

For ladies, Perhaps Carolina Kostner wants to end her career with a medal? And Vanessa Marchei? Did she retire? Is that why she was not Italy's #2 this year? I thought she competed earlier this season.

In pairs, I see Kavaguti retiring before the Olympics. I actually see Smirnov joining Bazarova. Smirnov (27) is 2 years older than Larionov (25), but I see that switch happening. Bazarova/ Smirnov would be a great team, I think.

I would have said Pechalat/ Bourzat would be the next ice dance team to retire, but they will probably stay and try for a medal next year. I hope so anyway.

Joubert and Verner have competition only from Amodio and Brezina, so really there is no fear of them making World and Euro teams unless France and Czech Republic were to go down to one spot, which is highly unlikely. If there was more competition, then it would be understandable, but it's not even like Amodio is clearly better than Joubert (and at this point Joubert is clearly better than Preaubert and Bessigher) or Brezina is clearly better than Verner at this point. If they want to continue, they should, and having some competition within their own country could help them stay on top of their games. Considering Tomas changed coaches this season and had good results and showed better consistency, I'd be surprised if he retired. My guess is he wants another shot at the Olympics so he can end his career with a finish higher than 18th and 19th. Joubert could stick around til Sochi, but I think he will at least definitely stay in for next season where worlds are in Nice.

orbitz
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
If Morozov is indeed obligated to drop foreign students, might be a tough situation for her.

Maybe now would be a good time for Morozov to have a sit down talk with Miki about the importance of retiring when you're at the top :P

Spiralgraph
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I think with that surprise bronze medal, Maia and Alex are firmly the USA's number 2 team now.
Samuelson/Bates will not be granted second position by default.

olympic
05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Re Miki Ando- maybe the Fed is playing a role in persuading her to compete in light of the gold medal at '11 Worlds, and in light of Mao rebuilding, Suzuki aging and possibly on the verge of retirement, Nakano retired, Suguri basically a side show, and Murakami still rough and developing???

And how many good Junior ladies are there in JPN these days?? A lot of the focus has been on the baby Russians. At Jr. Worlds, didn't it end up being a duel between Russia and the US? Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Hicks, Gao, Shelepen, and Zawadzki, with the JPN ladies not really in the mix? Maybe the JSF fears a gap in coming years as Miki and Mao age, and slim pickings among the Jrs., so they want to keep the current gold medalist going...

oleada
05-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Risa Shoji was the highest placed Japanese lady. She was 5th. She has a 3S+3T, but also has a tendency to under-rotate. She was also 4th at the JGPF.

At the moment it seems like the Russian and American junior ladies are more technically advanced than the Japanese.