PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Garden Kitty
04-29-2011, 08:13 PM
According to an unofficial survey (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110428/sc_livescience/themosthatedbabynamesinamerica), the most hated baby names in America are Nevaeh for girls and Jayden for a boy.

See the top 10 (or 11) lists of hated names for girls and boys here. (http://www.livescience.com/13917-hated-baby-names.html)

I liked this quote from the person who conducted the survey:

"Everybody is looking for this impossible dream, which is a name that everybody knows, everybody loves and nobody is using," Wattenberg said. "As you can imagine, it just doesn't work that way."

Skittl1321
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I've never even heard of Nevaeh.

BigB08822
04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I like the name Jayden. Booo!

The name Aiden is on the list which is the name I plan on using if I ever have a boy. Oh well! lol

genevieve
04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Skittl1321 - you are lucky

I like the name Jaden, but not Jayden :shuffle:

milanessa
04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I like the name Jaden, but not Jayden :shuffle:

:lol: It's all in the spelling, huh?

genevieve
04-29-2011, 08:32 PM
it is - unnecessary letters bug me

I'm also someone who hears words based on how they're spelled. Even though homonyms allegedly sounds the same, I hear them differently in my head [/freak]

Cloudy_Gumdrops
04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree with Gertrude and Bertha. Yuck.

I also hate the name Emma. Can't understand why it's gotten so popular, honestly.

I don't mind the boy names though.

If I ever have kids (still not sure I want them, but I must on some level if I've thought of names, :lol) their names will be Sienna, for a girl and Tristan for a boy.

overedge
04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
So "Kaitlyn" is disliked because of its "made-up spelling" but "Mikayla" isn't? :lol: I can only assume that "Mikayla" is disliked because it's just plain annoying.

I dislike almost every name on both lists, except for "Madison" because I know someone named that, but she was born in the mid-80s and it was a pretty rare girl's name at the time. Her grandparents were horrified at the parents' choice....

genevieve
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
So "Kaitlyn" is disliked because of its "made-up spelling" but "Mikayla" isn't? :lol: I can only assume that "Mikayla" is disliked because it's just plain annoying.

Yeah - I've seen the Kaitlyn spelling so much it seems normal now, but Mikayla seems like Michaela for people who've never seen it written down (plus it has that random Y in the middle which I've already expressed disdain for :drama: )

skateycat
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I know a woman in her 20s named Neva, but the Nevaeh phenomenon has escaped my experience to date.

I'm personally not a fan of the Jaden/Jayden/Braden/Kayden/Aiden... rhyming boy's name phenomenon, but apparently many people this day and age feel differently.

I'm intrigued by how people choose their baby's names. My son got his first name because it was the first name mr skateycat and I could agree upon. We had his first name decided a long time previous, a not too difficult to pronounce word in my tribal language meaning 'good hunter and fisherman.'

It wasn't until two days before he was born that my mother in law had a few names to add to our massive list of possible first names, one of which was the name we eventually chose.

BaileyCatts
04-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Its "Heaven" spelled backwards. Which is why the people who I know choose it. And they think they were oh so original when they choose it. :rolleyes: I can't stand these made up names either.

Or men who have the same first and last name .. how stoopid is that? Over the years I have worked for or with men named: John Johnson, Steven Stephens, Robert Robertson, Jack Jackson ... what the hell? Who would intentionally name their kid that way?

danceronice
04-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I think "Mikayla" got its backlash for being part of the rash of "Mc" names for girls (doubly silly as the prefix "Mc" used to indicate 'son of'.)

If I ever have a boy, he'll end up something like John or Alan. (I don't even like extraneous letters like "Allen.") A girl, probably would get something like Michaelina or Helena (family names and suitably Slavic.)

SceneIt
04-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I'd like to add Eugenie and Beatrice to the hated name list, especially after today!:lol:

MikiAndoFan#1
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Me, neither. How do we even pronounce it? :confused:

BigB08822
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Its "Heaven" spelled backwards. Which is why the people who I know choose it. And they think they were oh so original when they choose it. :rolleyes: I can't stand these made up names either.

I don't know a single person with this name.

It also seems a bit ironic to chose a name that is heaven spelled backwards. That's almost like the opposite of heaven so why not just name your child Hell or Devil or Lucifer?