PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

nubka
05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison%27s_disease) is why I couldn't name a kid "Addison."

When I was a little girl way back in the early 60's, I had a great-uncle named Addison, who was a major wino. He usually stayed away from family, but would sometimes turn up every couple of years. He was kind of creepy, and my sister and were afraid of him. He eventually ended up dying on skid row in San Francisco. Anyway - I can never hear the name Addison with seeing his face (he looked liked a beat-up version of Lon Chaney.) I have a hard time associating his name with a little child (especially a girl.) :scream:

Grannyfan
05-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Strange that Michael should be on the hated list. Today's Parade magazine had it listed as one of the most popular boy names.

Ares
05-02-2011, 02:23 AM
When I was younger one of the classes a few grades behind me (they would have been born in the late 80s, early 90s) had 3 girls named Ariel. Even at a young age I thought it was unfortunate that they were named after a cartoon.

taf2002
05-02-2011, 02:26 AM
I forgot about the names with dash in them. Horrific.

This reminds me about La dash ee a, spelled La-ia.

KikiSashaFan
05-02-2011, 02:38 AM
When I was younger one of the classes a few grades behind me (they would have been born in the late 80s, early 90s) had 3 girls named Ariel. Even at a young age I thought it was unfortunate that they were named after a cartoon.

I know two people named Ursula (born way before the Disney version came out) and I still associate it with the Little Mermaid.

PRlady
05-02-2011, 02:53 AM

My daughter was born in '87 and has the same name as a popular '80s actress. Twenty years later she still explains patiently that she was named for her great grandmother, not the Brat Pack girl.

I'm another one with a name that used to be uncommon and I've spent my whole life seeing it misspelled and hearing it mispronounced. A biblical name, too. That's one reason why my daughter's name is impossible to mispronounce but people still misspell it.

Now I work for an organization with three other people with my name! Which makes me realize it's a pain to be a Susan or Jennifer, or, in my daughter's generation, an Ashley. She must have had four Ashley's in her fifth grade class, I'm not sure where that trend came from.

mmscfdcsu
05-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Now I work for an organization with three other people with my name! Which makes me realize it's a pain to be a Susan or Jennifer, or, in my daughter's generation, an Ashley. She must have had four Ashley's in her fifth grade class, I'm not sure where that trend came from.

I thought it was a character on a soap opera. What a way to pick out a name. :rolleyes:

PRlady
05-02-2011, 02:59 AM

Ariel's parents may have been Shakespeare fans, the name goes way back. Same thing with Ms. Nausicaa -- right out of the Odyssey but that's a :yikes: name for a girl.

Garden Kitty
05-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Did you ever see that old tv comedy "Angie" starring Donna Pescow and Robert Hays? Her friends were called the "three Mary's" because they were each named Mary - that always struck me as funny because my grade school class had a ton of Mary's. However I don't think my niece is finishing high school and hasn't had one girl named Mary in her classes.

oleada
05-02-2011, 03:04 AM
In my graduating class at my school (Catholic school in Colombia), there were 13 Marias...and there were 50 girls in my class. You could never yell Maria or Mari down the hallway because half the people would turn around.

There were also at least 4 Lauras. When I was little, I wanted to be a Laura because all the popular girls were named Laura. I much prefer my name to Laura now, though.

PrincessLeppard
05-02-2011, 03:07 AM
:drama:

:P

Cloudy_Gumdrops
05-02-2011, 03:09 AM
I thought it was a character on a soap opera. What a way to pick out a name. :rolleyes:

That's where my name came from. Ashley Abbott from Y&R.

My older brothers insisted that it be my name and my parents went along with it. It amuses that one or both of them watched a soap at one point or another. :lol:

There were at least 3 other girls in my grade named Ashley, plus numerous others in the grades above and below me.

Jessica and Jenna were the other two popular names in my grade.

numbers123
05-02-2011, 03:24 AM
As a clinical nurse preceptor, I once had an orientee whose first name was Mary. As was the first name of her four sisters. Mary Catherine, Mary Jane, Mary Louise, Mary Margaret, Mary Irene. They all went to nursing school at the same catholic university. All their grades came to their parents house and addressed to Mary Jones. So there was no hiding any failing grades.
By the way their brother is named Dennis Jones. I am surprised he was not a Mark. Keeping with the M theme.

One family of my cousins have K as their firs initial. All Christmas cards came signed Aunt and Uncle's name and the 4Ks

Bev Johnston
05-02-2011, 03:43 AM
This thread is really :lol:, but this quote is my favorite. Made me :rofl:

I don't know a single person with this name.

It also seems a bit ironic to chose a name that is heaven spelled backwards. That's almost like the opposite of heaven so why not just name your child Hell or Devil or Lucifer?

I worked with a girl named Brytine (Brittany). Before I heard her name spoken out loud, I thought it was pronounced Bri-tine.

Ozzisk8tr
05-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Not sure if people have seen this. I was laughing so hard when I saw this the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdmiZyyGjQ

Kooladria :rofl: