PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Mozart
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
I teach in an elementary school and a daycare and I have seen Nevaeh. Now parents are using Evaeh as well. There are both Addisons and Madisons in the 3 year old class. Actually have students with most of those names. There are also some other weird names like Merica.

Mozart
04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
oh I also dislike the name Justice as all of the Justices I know have been quite, um, difficult behaviour wise ;)

Cloudy_Gumdrops
04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Me, neither. How do we even pronounce it? :confused:

Nuh-vay-uh

At least that's how it's pronounced around here.

JerseySlore
04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
I can't believe Helga didn't make the list.

cygnus
04-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't know a single person with this name.

Well you probably wouldn't. It didn't exist before the 1990s, but came in with a vengeance to number 150 in the top 1000 girls' names is 2003, climbing up to 31 in 2007. It's still a top 30 name (as of 2009). So most Nevaehs would be under 18. And it is most popular in working class evangelical circles, which is not the demographic of most of us on this board.

cygnus
04-29-2011, 09:38 PM
I teach in an elementary school and a daycare and I have seen Nevaeh. Now parents are using Evaeh as well. There are both Addisons and Madisons in the 3 year old class. Actually have students with most of those names. There are also some other weird names like Merica.

"Heave" spelled backwards? :rofl: Are they generally hefty girls?

gkelly
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I teach in an elementary school and a daycare and I have seen Nevaeh. Now parents are using Evaeh as well.

Heave spelled backward?:yikes:

oh I also dislike the name Justice as all of the Justices I know have been quite, um, difficult behaviour wise ;)

Well, if you have bad associations with people you've known, even the prettiest-sounding, best-meaning name could lead to dislike.

I kind of like virtue names if they're not religious and sound nice, so I'm cool with Justice as a name.

BigB08822
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
My bf teaches 2 girls named Unique. Isn't that so...unique?

oleada
04-29-2011, 09:44 PM
When I worked for an agency that did Head Start, I swear, half the kids were named Destiny (or Destinee, Deztanee, etc), Mikayla and Neveah.

One of my good friends is actually named Destiny. She claims that she must have been named after her father's favorite stripper. She goes by her middle name, Nicole.

MikiAndoFan#1
04-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Nuh-vay-uh

Gosh, that sounds awful. :shuffle:

My bf teaches 2 girls named Unique. Isn't that so...unique?

:lol:

vesperholly
04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm also someone who hears words based on how they're spelled. Even though homonyms allegedly sounds the same, I hear them differently in my head [/freak]

Same. I would hear "Geneveev" differently than "Genevieve", for example. And I would dislike "Geneveev". :lol:

I dislike almost every name on both lists, except for "Madison" because I know someone named that, but she was born in the mid-80s and it was a pretty rare girl's name at the time. Her grandparents were horrified at the parents' choice....

Sure her name wasn't from "Splash" (1984)? Because that name was about to get HUGE.

Cheylana
04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I really hate the trend of naming your son someone's surname. Jackson. Landon. Watson. Kingston. The other day I overheard a woman say to her toddler, "Come over here, Lincoln" and I had to fight the urge to punch something.

VALuvsMKwan
04-29-2011, 10:00 PM
I can't help it if I think that virtually all the names in that article scream either trailer trash and/or Ebonics at me. :yikes: :scream:

ETA: The last name trend is very old school Southern, but they give me the "pretentious social climber wannabe" creeps when I hear them too often.

*Jen*
04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
it is - unnecessary letters bug me

They bug me too, but I wouldn't pronounced Jaden and Jayden in the same way. The addition of the y changes the sound of the a, for me.

cygnus
04-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Sure her name wasn't from "Splash" (1984)? Because that name was about to get HUGE.

The name "Madison" was first heard in "Splash", but oddly the name didn't really take off until about 20 years after the movie, hitting its peak in 2004 (number 3). For the 80s, it hovered on the 500s. It's on its way down now, although still top 10.

So its popularity may not be due to the movie, but part of the general trend in naming girls with masculine sounding names and surnames which took off in the 90s.

I hate the name "Madison", but like "Madeleine".