PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18

numbers123
05-16-2011, 11:17 PM
My sister in law was commenting that kids today have really cool names - not like Debbie or James or Michael, but cool names like Brooklyn or Linsely or Ashley or Mackenize

I was :duh: and thinking that was one of the more :rolleyes: comment of the weekend

BaileyCatts
05-16-2011, 11:33 PM
^^ Ashley ... that's okay. That's a normal name. Mackenize is pushing it (and I know one ... and dislike her :P). But Brooklyn and Linsely? She thinks those are cool? Me thinks they are stoopid. I will never understand why parents would want to saddle their kids with stupid names. They are going to be adults one day and possibly working in the professional world. I would laugh every time I had to go to my boss and go "excuse me Brooklyn". That sounds like an exotic dancer (i.e., stripper) to me. Never had kids, but I would never give them a names like most of the "creative" ones in this thread.

KCC
05-16-2011, 11:54 PM
My neice's little girl (1 yr now) is named "Coco Rose". At first I thought :eek: but actually it suits her, and goes nicely with her last name. At least when she's older, people will remember her name and associate it with something good to eat :lol:

My sister has an alpaca named Coco. Everyone calls her Cocoa Puffs, because as alpacas go, she really is puffy.

millyskate
05-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I watched a documentary the other day. The woman was called possibly the worst name I've *ever* heard/seen: Latrina :scream:
I was spelt on the screen when she was interviewed, so I know that was the name...

Nomad
05-17-2011, 03:07 AM
I watched a documentary the other day. The woman was called possibly the worst name I've *ever* heard/seen: Latrina :scream:
I was spelt on the screen when she was interviewed, so I know that was the name...

I used to work with a woman named LaTrina. What were those parents thinking? Scary to think there are two sets of parents with the same bad idea.

Ania
05-17-2011, 03:16 AM

I don't get it, could you explain why you think it's a horrible name?
It does not seem too bad from this:

http://www.babynamer.com/latrina
Meaning: Its source is Aikaterine, a Greek name meaning "Pure."

Mozart
05-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Latrine is another name for an outhouse

Ania
05-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Ok, thanks! Pretty bad indeed.

oleada
05-17-2011, 03:38 AM
whoops got beaten to it

Rhianna
05-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Maybe I'm odd but I like the name Brooklyn well enough. Today I was working and a family came in with a child named Hill.

cygnus
05-17-2011, 04:09 AM
I don't get it, could you explain why you think it's a horrible name?
It does not seem too bad from this:

http://www.babynamer.com/latrina
Meaning: Its source is Aikaterine, a Greek name meaning "Pure."

Well, that's possible, but I think that the "source" just made up an origin that sounds vaguely like the name. The Greek source "Aikaterine" is the root for the name "Katherine" and its variants ("Katrina and such).

Any connection between "Katherine" and "Latrina" is entirely coincidental.

oleada
05-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Maybe I'm odd but I like the name Brooklyn well enough. Today I was working and a family came in with a child named Hill.

I read in the AM the other day that Brooklyn is very highly ranked nation wide but in New York, it doesn't even crack top 100. For me, it's very associated with the borough...it would be odd to me to give my child the name of the place I live in.

I'm pretty traditional on the naming front though. I like names like Sofia, Amelia, Charlotte, Madeline, Lucas, Henry, etc.

vesperholly
05-17-2011, 07:24 AM

:rofl:

All I can think of is Tracey Ullman's character Latrine in Robin Hood: Men In Tights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-F3kqGVLw) (start at 8:05).

BaileyCatts
05-17-2011, 07:36 AM

When I was in 1st grade, the teacher read us a book that had a character named Latrina. I thought it was such a pretty name .... until I became a Girl Scout and learned what a latrine was! :rofl:

Bunny Hop
05-17-2011, 09:44 AM
:rofl:

All I can think of is Tracey Ullman's character Latrine in Robin Hood: Men In Tights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-F3kqGVLw) (start at 8:05).You beat me to it - that was my immediate thought as well!

All these kids are going to spend their entire lives spelling their names for people. My own name isn't that unusual (and if I was in the US it would be reasonably common), is only four letters long, and not an odd spelling, but nowadays when people ask me my name I tend to automatically say the name and then spell it, because that saves time. I can't imagine what it would be like to have one of these 'creative' names.