PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

Kasey
05-14-2011, 05:33 AM
They also need to think about the initials that the kid will end up with.

I'm what results from a PP marrying a BM ;)

jamesy
05-14-2011, 05:38 AM
what is the point of james backwards?
It's a poorly thought-out alias if I ever need to go undercover in India.

millyskate
05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
My neice's little girl (1 yr now) is named "Coco Rose". At first I thought :eek: but actually it suits her, and goes nicely with her last name. At least when she's older, people will remember her name and associate it with something good to eat :lol:

That's cute actually!

PDilemma
05-14-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm what results from a PP marrying a BM ;)

I have a relative whose initials are BAD.

His parents didn't notice until his six year old sister figured it out after they brought him home and ran around spelling it for everyone and saying "B-A-D, bad, bad baby!" and laughing.

We thought maybe they'd change the middle name, but they left it.

Aaron MB Fan
05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I have a relative whose initials are BAD.

His parents didn't notice until his six year old sister figured it out after they brought him home and ran around spelling it for everyone and saying "B-A-D, bad, bad baby!" and laughing.

We thought maybe they'd change the middle name, but they left it.

A girl I went to high school with had initials that were "PMS". Her first name was Patricia but she preferred going by Trish.

sk8er1964
05-14-2011, 03:06 PM
I met a woman at my conference yesterday whose name (and I am spelling it as it sounds) is Coffeekia. The conversation went something like this:

Hi. I'm sk8er1964.
Hi. I'm Coffee Cup.
Pardon me?
It's Coffeekia.
Wow. That's an interesting name ::weak smile::

After that I enjoyed talking to her - she's a bond attorney - but I 1) imediately thought about this thread upon meeting her ;) and 2) felt sorry for her being saddled with that name as a legal professional. However, it is memorable! I probably would have immediately forgot her name if she has been Mary or Jane. :lol:

Rhianna
05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
One of my friends in middle school had the initials JRK.

Civic
05-14-2011, 09:19 PM
So "Kaitlyn" is disliked because of its "made-up spelling" but "Mikayla" isn't? :lol: I can only assume that "Mikayla" is disliked because it's just plain annoying...
As a long-time name snob, alternative personal name spelling have always been one of my pet peeves. Take "Latisha" for example. It's an alternative spelling of the ancient Roman name, "Letitia". Spelling makes all the difference with this name. The stereotypical "Letitia" is a well-bred, high society lady. The stereotypical "Latisha" is an African-American teenager from the projects. At least the original Latisha's parents probably weren't trying to be creative when they named their daughter. More likely, they didn't have much formal education and didn't realize the phonetic spelling was incorrect.

As for "Mikayla"...the original spelling, "Michaela", is a perfectly nice girls' name and not common in the English- speaking world. Why mess with a good thing? I suppose one can make the argument that many Americans won't pronounce Michaela properly but then that's the case with many non-English origin given names.

Civic
05-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I know someone who named her three kids Indigo, Cypress, and Zephyr. The first two are girls, the third is a boy.
I knew a female Zephyr when I was a little girl. She was an elderly, African-American woman who attended the same church as my family. This was 40 years ago so she would be well over 100 if she were still living.

Jenya
05-14-2011, 10:19 PM
One of my friends in middle school had the initials JRK.

Those are my initials. :shuffle:

wustfan
05-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Today I came across this:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0516/facebook.html

Zemgirl
05-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I did a Google news search in Hebrew to see if this is true, and sadly it is (http://reshet.ynet.co.il/%D7%97%D7%93%D7%A9%D7%95%D7%AA/News/Domestic/internal/Article,68711.aspx). The older sisters' names are also :scream: (it's Dvash, not Vash, for the eldest; otherwise, the story in English is accurate).

The Israeli naming trend I hate the most is giving kids obviously non-Hebrew names; there are any number of Israeli Liams, Seans and Leeanns, and it just comes across as silly.

grimey
05-16-2011, 07:18 PM

:duh: Now I am totally naming my kid Farmville :P

BaileyCatts
05-16-2011, 08:21 PM

:duh: What an idiot. (the guy in the article, not you :lol:).

my little pony
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
poor baby like

when she is older and people ask her what it means, she can say that it is hebrew for "my parents are selfish douchebags with no ability to plan for the future"