PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

Badams
05-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I graduated with 5 Jennifer, 7 Jamie, and 5 Jason. My class had 94 students.:lol:

cygnus
05-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a nephew named Calyx. Somehow, I don't think of that as a boys name.

I have a step great-niece named Caelyx. She's lovely, but that's not a name. It's an ovarian cancer drug.

Before I knew that I thought it was a Pokemon type name.

RockTheTassel
05-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I have a step great-niece named Caelyx. She's lovely, but that's not a name. It's an ovarian cancer drug.

Before I knew that I thought it was a Pokemon type name.

:lol: I can totally see that as a type of Pokemon. "My level twenty-four Caelyx can beat your Charmander!"

oleada
05-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I was born in 1977 and I knew 100000000 Jennifers. Not sure why this name was so popular. Was it in a movie or something? I know like 20 people who have named their daughter Bella from Twilight. And on another note, I just had a son and his middle name is Edward and people have asked me if it is from Twilight. OMG. NO. The name is to remember a relative. I cannot even believe people even ask me that.

My sister is a 19 year old Isabella and she is beyond annoyed that there are all these new Bellas named after Twilight. :rolleyes:

It's a worldwide thing, btw. Every other baby girl born to my Colombian friends/relatives is named Isabella.

Ozzisk8tr
05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Re Jennifer, Jennifer -Thalia as a name is not so bad, until you shorten the first name to Jenny. :shuffle:

Mozart
05-12-2011, 02:30 AM
I went to school with a million Jennifers as well.

quartz
05-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I am a "Judi" when I was pregnant with my second child, I was sure it would be a boy, and so only had the name "Andrew" selected. Of course I had a girl and my husband suggested that we name her Andrew anyways. I said no, and we compromised with "Andi".

When she was around 10 or so she hated it and said we ruined her life by giving her a boys name. She is 18 now and seems to be more accepting that she isn't one of the dozens of Ashleys, Nicoles, or Beccas around here....

Louise
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
My sister is a Jennifer, and when I asked my mom WHY did you name her that when everyone else on the planet was (1970), it wasn't Love Story, or even Valley of the Dolls. There was apparently something newsworthy about a Jennifer back in the late 60s that caught the attention of anyone. Jennifer Lynn to be exact. You would be surprised how many Jennifer Lynns are out there. I've met five, all born in 1970.
I was always for old Jewish names, like Ariel. Then Footloose and (gulp) Mermaid came along and then EVERYONE named their kid Ariel. Horrifying. What prompted the whole Isabella thing in the last ten years? I love that name but every kid I see is Bella.
If I were to name a child right now it would be William Atlas and Athena Caroline. I would hope those names never go trendy. I'd be horrified.

snoopysnake
05-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I am a "Judi" when I was pregnant with my second child, I was sure it would be a boy, and so only had the name "Andrew" selected. Of course I had a girl and my husband suggested that we name her Andrew anyways. I said no, and we compromised with "Andi".

When she was around 10 or so she hated it and said we ruined her life by giving her a boys name. She is 18 now and seems to be more accepting that she isn't one of the dozens of Ashleys, Nicoles, or Beccas around here....

I HATE seeing people give girls boys' names. I don't mean the commonly used unisex ones like Chris (provided you don't name a girl Christopher) or Alex (which can be short for Alexandra) but names like Michael and Kevin that are sometimes given to girls. It almost never seems to go the other way around (who'd name a boy Mary or Susan?)

Good for you for standing your ground on not naming your daughter Andrew. Andi can be sort for Andrea.

kwanfan1818
05-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Can you not say to them, if you don't call my child by their given name then from now on and until you do I will choose to call you "feces face"/"penis nose"/"fat cow" or something similar? My sister didn't want her children's names to be able to be shortened so she chose Jarred and Cort. Jarred was fine but Cort was called Corty for the longest time. She was so angry that she hadn't thought anyone would lengthen a name.
A former boss's wife was upset that her older son's peers used to call him by various nicknames, and when she had her second son about a decade later, she named him "Reese" because she thought it would be nickname-proof. Within seconds, her older son's friends came up with "Reese's Pieces" and "Reese's Feces" which made her more :mad:

It almost never seems to go the other way around (who'd name a boy Mary or Susan?)

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/aboynamedsue.html

Johnny Cash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BJfDvSITY)

snoopysnake
05-13-2011, 02:22 AM
My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/aboynamedsue.html

Johnny Cash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BJfDvSITY)

That song proves how wrong gender names can lead to "kickin' and a-gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer."

I have fond memories of Frank Gorshin imitating Kirk Douglas singing "A Boy Named Sssuuuuuue." Hilarious!

numbers123
05-13-2011, 03:07 AM
How the heck do you pronounce Maakkie? :huh:

Since the bil and sil were free spirits in a commune community, they had no phone. It was 28 months before we learned it was pronounced "Micah"
Micah a named I associated with boy's name not a girl's name. Maakkie is now 33, I am not sure how she feels about it.

jamesy
05-13-2011, 04:14 AM
It would still be a ridiculous name but I could see the "Micah" pronunciation if they had swapped some letters around and made it "Miekkaa".

my little pony
05-13-2011, 04:17 AM
It would still be a ridiculous name but I could see the "Micah" pronunciation if they had swapped some letters around and made it "Miekkaa".

it looks like the girl in my grade school who legally changed her name to

A'er-iekkah

it's Erica

newbatgirl
05-13-2011, 04:26 AM
In 15 years, a lot of girls are going to be as pissed at their moms for naming them Isabella as all the Jennifers were back in my day. Isabellas are everywhere.

Ben seems to be making a big comeback for boys too. Also, among my Catholic friends, a big wave of John Pauls seems to be starting.