PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18

Habs
05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
A friend of a friend had a baby last week and named her Tacori.

my little pony
05-11-2011, 04:18 PM
A friend of a friend had a baby last week and named her Tacori.

:yikes:

I have a friend who was named after what her mother thought was another student at her high school. She used to hear the very made up sounding name on the morning announcements. When she used it for her baby, she added a couple of superfluous letters, a hyphen and a capital letter in the middle. Years later she found out it was an acronym for a service organization and not another student.

Stormy
05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I know someone who named her three kids Indigo, Cypress, and Zephyr. The first two are girls, the third is a boy.

I had a girl Zephyr in one of my skating classes this past fall. I actually don't mind that name. :shuffle:

sk8er1964
05-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I know this has been linked here before over the years, but that board's main reading page, called Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing: A Primer on Parent Cruelty (http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/) is a 15-Part read of absolute hilarity. I have it bookmarked as it gets updated from time to time with new and ever-more creative ways of torturing kids.

From Cyn's link:

Kerrigan
Middle name: Comma. Last name: Nancy.

:cheer2: Figure skating reference :cheer2:

UGG
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I was born in 1977 and I knew 100000000 Jennifers. Not sure why this name was so popular. Was it in a movie or something? I know like 20 people who have named their daughter Bella from Twilight. And on another note, I just had a son and his middle name is Edward and people have asked me if it is from Twilight. OMG. NO. The name is to remember a relative. I cannot even believe people even ask me that.

skatingfan5
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I was born in 1977 and I knew 100000000 Jennifers. Not sure why this name was so popular. Was it in a movie or something? Yes -- Ali McGraw's character in Love Story (1970) is the likely start of the Jennifer bandwagon. It was the top name for girls in the 1970's and 1980's but didn't even make the top 25 in the 1960's. By 2000 it was down to 26 and now it's not even in the top 100. Sic transit gloria mundi.

vesperholly
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Kerrigan's middle name is Ann. :lol:

KikiSashaFan
05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I logged into Facebook today and the first thing I saw was a girl I went to school with had her baby. She named him Hurley. Poor kid.

minx
05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
About a year ago the columnist "Jake" in Glamour magazine kept writing about his girlfriend, Strawberry. That name made me cringe every time I saw it!

Off topic but I can remember reading about Jake and his girlfriend problems back in about 1978. I guess he doesn't ever grow up????

snoopysnake
05-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Off topic but I can remember reading about Jake and his girlfriend problems back in about 1978. I guess he doesn't ever grow up????

They get a new "Jake" every few years. The one whose girlfriend was named Strawberry pulled up stakes to follow her to some other place where she'd gotten a job, and was replaced by the guy writing it now. Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if that column hasn't been ghost-written by a female at some point.

I can just imagine that first meeting: "Hi, what's your name?"
"Strawwwwwwwwwwwww-berry."

:scream::eek::yikes:

flyingsit
05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes -- Ali McGraw's character in Love Story (1970) is the likely start of the Jennifer bandwagon. It was the top name for girls in the 1970's and 1980's but didn't even make the top 25 in the 1960's. By 2000 it was down to 26 and now it's not even in the top 100. Sic transit gloria mundi.

I was born in 1967 and there were more Jennifers than any other name all my years in school, so Love Story can't be entirely to blame.

skatingfan5
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I was born in 1967 and there were more Jennifers than any other name all my years in school, so Love Story can't be entirely to blame.Maybe not entirely ... but I think that it likely played a large role in the dramatic upsurge in popularity during the 1970's. It was the top-grossing film of 1970 and won the Golden Globe for film and actress in a drama.

Twizzler
05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I have a nephew named Calyx. Somehow, I don't think of that as a boys name.

skatingfan5
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I have a nephew named Calyx. Somehow, I don't think of that as a boys name.In botany, the calyx of a flower is made up of the sepals (usually green, they lie under the petals). However, in the animal kingdom, there are several different meanings (per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calyx_%28zoology%29)) including:
In male insects, a funnel-shaped expansion of the basal part of the vas deferens (part of the seminal duct). Also in entomology, a flattened cap of neuropile in an insect brain (a component of the corpus pedunculatum) and by certain female insects, an expansion of the oviduct into which the ovarioles open.I guess in the insect world, it could be a unisex name. :shuffle: Not sure if I'd care to have that as my name if I were a boy or a girl. :slinkaway

PDilemma
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Maybe not entirely ... but I think that it likely played a large role in the dramatic upsurge in popularity during the 1970's. It was the top-grossing film of 1970 and won the Golden Globe for film and actress in a drama.

The most popular girls names in my class of 1989 were Amy, Jennifer, and Stacy in that order.

Don't know what made the other two so trendy in the very early 70s, but had always understood that Love Story was responsible for all the Jens and Jennys.