PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

Ozzisk8tr
05-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I had a character in a horror musical show called Wilma Fingerdoo. She was marrying her sweetheart Uncle Festered. She had a line where she was talking to her friend Wolverine and said excitedly "Oh Wolfie, can you believe I'm soon to be known as Mrs Wilma Festered-Fingerdoo". True.

Moto Guzzi
05-07-2011, 05:03 AM
:lol: Reminds me of a girl a year behind me in elementary school. Her name was Janelle. But of course that wasn't how it was spelled.... Jahn Nell. Yes, two words. :rolleyes: I'll carry the trend of punching mothers. ;) We used to have a Robbie in our skating club whose name was spelled RobBee. :rolleyes:

PDilemma
05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
My mom knew a woman who named her sons Brad Lee, Dud Lee and Stan Lee.

Ozzisk8tr
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I wonder if anyone has called their daughter Bebe Littled? What about Sheila Blige? Weren't there some famousd Hogg sisters from that wealthy U.S. family? Ima and Ura Hogg?

Amy L
05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
It's Ima Hogg. There was no Ura Hogg, that's a legend - - she only had brothers (with normal names). I grew up near one of the family's plantations.

shan
05-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Neveah, Angel, Precious (yes as a name), Princess (yes as a name), UniQue, Paisley, Chevy (yes because she was conceived in the backseat of a chevy :rolleyes:), twins named James and Jimmy,

I have a niece named Justice, a granddaughter named Madison, a niece named Delihah, a niece named Maakkie, one named Kjila, a friend whose granddaughter is name Makensye

How the heck do you pronounce Maakkie? :huh:

A girl I went to school with was named Special. Her twin sister's name was Snow.

Did their last name begin with a "K"?? :lol:

I can deal with Moon Unit. There is no question that it's an odd name. No cutsie spelling.

I know, the cutsie spellings really grate on my nerves.

*Jen*
05-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I just saw this (http://www.mamamia.com.au/weblog/2010/09/when-the-alphabet-vomits-on-a-birth-certificate.html) and thought of this thread :lol:

millyskate
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2009/10/ledasha-legends-and-race-part-one interesting...

I'm totally an oddball here because I like creative spellings :lol: There are plenty here that are not my cup of tea, but I quite like Emmaleigh for instance. Why worry about what other people call their children?
I've had to spell out my name and surname all my life, but I don't mind. I'd rather have that problem than be called Mary Smith.

Do creative types prefer unique names? I certainly wouldn't want my child to be called anything in the top 30 most popular names list, but I don't have that problem to worry about yet :P

gkelly
05-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty open minded about names. I like alternate spellings that show some awareness of phonics, etymology, history, and/or cross-cultural awareness. What I don't like is random combinations of letters that don't seem to have a clear purpose or a clear relationship between spelling and sound, just for the sake of being different.

I'm also cool with repurposing everyday words as names, if the meaning and sound are appealing. After all, that's where a lot of traditional names originally came from in their original languages.

snoopysnake
05-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Dig these - they're real! http://www.oocities.org/magdalena_babblejack/NamesTrivia.html

About a year ago the columnist "Jake" in Glamour magazine kept writing about his girlfriend, Strawberry. That name made me cringe every time I saw it!

millyskate
05-11-2011, 04:36 AM
I quite like fruit names. But then in French, many fruit names are traditional names as well (Clementine, Cerise, Amandine...) I think they're quite pretty, I don't mind Strawberry!

Habs
05-11-2011, 04:40 AM
My cousin just had a baby girl and named her Hadley. She took the first initials of everyone in their immediate families and scrambled them to create the name. :eek:

vesperholly
05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I do like unique names - but more along the lines of rare/uncommon but still familiar. Misspelling a popular name to be unique is like putting lipstick on a pig - no one is fooled! :lol: Throwing in a whole bunch of extra letters annoys me.

My favorite names tend to be ancient Latin origin. Top ones are Claudia, Julia, Lydia, Cecilia, Miranda, Aliya. Apparently, I also like names ending in "ia", and I think sound counts. I like the "essa" sound of Vanessa and Tessa. Conversely, I can't stand the long aaaaay of Kayleigh (and its 5,492 variant spellings), Grayson or Caden.

I like months and days as names (January, Sunday) but only some foods (Plum yes, Apple no). Some regular spellings I like and others I don't - Claire but not Clare, Layla but not Leila. Preference is pretty fickle!

With boys names, I tend to be pretty simple: Harry, Dylan, Jonathan, Charlie, William. My sister has already called Nathan, which I like a lot. I tend to dislike last name type names, like Regan, Parker or Mason. Brand name names like Bentley :scream:

I was browsing the Wikipedia "given names" category and read Arindam as Arinda. I think that sounds pretty, even if it is an internet company in Australia. Now no one else can use it (like Charlotte on Sex and the City with Shayla)! ;)

Cyn
05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
The parents might have had a more rational spelling. But teenage girls can sometimes change the spelling of their names to make themselves more "interesting".

The previously mentioned discussion board Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing (http://www.bigbadbabynames.net/forum/index.php) refers to these idiot parents that give their kids "normal" names with insanely ridiculous spellings as "tryndees" or "yooneeks" (if memory serves).

The members there link to birth announcements (in papers as well as the ones from hospital websites) in addition to their own encounters with people who saddle their kids with horrific names/spellings, and some of the results are both :rofl: and :yikes: .

I know this has been linked here before over the years, but that board's main reading page, called Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing: A Primer on Parent Cruelty (http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/) is a 15-Part read of absolute hilarity. I have it bookmarked as it gets updated from time to time with new and ever-more creative ways of torturing kids.

flyingsit
05-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I know someone who named her three kids Indigo, Cypress, and Zephyr. The first two are girls, the third is a boy.