PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Ozzisk8tr
05-03-2011, 04:49 AM
What I find appalling is the grandparents and other family members who won't call the kid by the name the parents gave it, like it or not. My own Darling Mother wanted me to name my tiny daughter "Rosamond" but I didn't. We named her "Paris" which my mother hated. She called her "Sissy" and still does. My daughter is 37, my mother is 83. She still calls her Sissy.

Now, Sissy has two sons. One they named "Alexander" but call him Xander. I think it's cute. But the in-laws will not hear of it. They call him "Alex." Thoughts anyone? I say, let the parents have their time! Call the kid what the parents want, whether you like it or not. I remember it was like a slap in the face for my mother to have distain for what I named my daughter. A huge lack of respect. It was Not Good. Therapy helps.

Can you not say to them, if you don't call my child by their given name then from now on and until you do I will choose to call you "feces face"/"penis nose"/"fat cow" or something similar? My sister didn't want her children's names to be able to be shortened so she chose Jarred and Cort. Jarred was fine but Cort was called Corty for the longest time. She was so angry that she hadn't thought anyone would lengthen a name. Then there's a friend who named her child Phoenix, (which I love) but she was called everything from Nic, Phoebe to Fi-fi :shuffle:.

numbers123
05-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I hate to post this because you never know if a skater is reading, but isn't there a skater whose name was Thanksgiving?

Stormy
05-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I hate to post this because you never know if a skater is reading, but isn't there a skater whose name was Thanksgiving?

I know there was a skater named Thankful. Thankful Cromartie. Is that who you're thinking of?

euterpe
05-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Dare one say that their parents failed to spell their names right? :shuffle:

The parents might have had a more rational spelling. But teenage girls can sometimes change the spelling of their names to make themselves more "interesting".

jadingirl
05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
One family of my cousins have K as their firs initial. All Christmas cards came signed Aunt and Uncle's name and the 4Ks

You know the Kardashians? (I'm embarrassed I even know who the Kardashians are)

I had a friend named Birdie when I was younger. As soon as she was 18 she changed her name legally to Jennifer.

PDilemma
05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
The parents might have had a more rational spelling. But teenage girls can sometimes change the spelling of their names to make themselves more "interesting".

Not the case in the example I gave. And teachers get the legal name on class lists, ridiculous spelling and all.

In fact, kids spelling their name strangely on their own is rarely the case anymore because the parents are doing it for them. Sometimes, I saw the opposite phenomenon with students changing the spelling themselves to something more conventional. Lukus started spelling his name "Lucas" when he was a senior and planned to legally fix it when he was an adult and could pay for the paperwork. A boy named Kodi started spelling his "Cody". And I had a Caytie who own her own took to spelling her name "Katie".

ArtisticFan
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
When I was younger one of the classes a few grades behind me (they would have been born in the late 80s, early 90s) had 3 girls named Ariel. Even at a young age I thought it was unfortunate that they were named after a cartoon.

My cousin named one of her daughter's Ariel. But she always said it was after the character in Footloose and not the Little Mermaid.

To this day I refer to little Ariel as "Ariel - no, not the mermaid."

jadingirl
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
There was a girl in my daughter's preschool who's name was Shelby. Her father (a mechanic) told me once it was after the car but that his wife is convinced it was after Julia Robert's character from Steel Magnolias.

Holley Calmes
05-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Can you not say to them, if you don't call my child by their given name then from now on and until you do I will choose to call you "feces face"/"penis nose"/"fat cow" or something similar?

No. Not that easy. Wish it had been/is. I take it you are making a joke...;) Families are complicated things. I am hoping my daughter will amicably resolve this with her MIL about little X Man, but my Mother is a piece of work, believe me, and I probably suffered less listening to her call my daughter the wrong name than if I'd confronted her. It didn't affect my daughter at all. She was "Sissy" until her first day of High School. I picked her up, and the first words she said to me getting into the car were: "Don't call me Sissy any more. From now on, I am Paris." End of story.

Actually, my daughter and her husband love us to call the kids X Man and Z Man. They have a Xander and a Zachary. I asked when they were going to have the Y-Girl, but I was met with firm denial that would ever happen....

CaraMora
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
In Iowa in the 70's there was a female basketball player named Fonda Dix. :slinkaway

nyrak
05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
In Iowa in the 70's there was a female basketball player named Fonda Dix. :slinkaway

LOL :) Isn't there a race car driver called Dick Trickle too?

numbers123
05-04-2011, 03:41 AM
I know there was a skater named Thankful. Thankful Cromartie. Is that who you're thinking of?

That's it.

ss1
05-04-2011, 04:43 AM
This is such a fun and hilarious thread!

I knew two brothers named Majestic and Diamond. And I have taught a boy named Dynamic, whose sister was named Rhythm.

Badams
05-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I went to school with a Little Angel. And my niece goes to school with a Baby Bear.

Bunny Hop
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
When I hear "Ashley", I always think of Leslie Howard and "Gone with the Wind".A teacher at my high school called her daughter Ashleigh. Her surname was Wilks. Apparently she'd never seen Gone With the Wind.

This thread is hilarious. It reminds me of this comedy sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXTngYxm8Bs).