PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Baby Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Parsley Sage
05-02-2011, 08:45 PM
One of my high school history classes had 16 students in it. 4 of them were named Jason.

I think the teacher called them Jason, Jay, Jay Poole and Mr McGreal.

PDilemma
05-02-2011, 08:46 PM
One of my high school history classes had 16 students in it. 4 of them were named Jason.

I think the teacher called them Jason, Jay, Jay Poole and Mr McGreal.

I had four Dustins in a senior English class once. I called them 1, 2, 3, and 4. :lol:

Couldn't do that with the Michaelas. They were sophomore girls and much too sensitive.

oleada
05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
We have 5 Kiaras at the small school I intern at. It gets really confusing! Most of the Kiaras are Hispanic, but one is black. I didn't know it was such a popular name, especially in this age group (16-20).

Amy L
05-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I also knew girls named Kortni, Rybekkah and Emmaleigh. What is wrong with parents?!

I have 2 distant-ish cousins whom I only just met last January at a funeral whose names are Britni and Tifni. They are exactly how you would imagine their personalities to be.

I also have more than a few female relatives named Regan. All about 6-10 years old. I just think it's funny that the name of one of King Lear's evil daughters is so trendy. Now I know that Goneril won't become trendy any time soon in the English language. :lol: I doubt any of the Regans' parents are Shakespeare experts (not among my family anyways) I'm just not sure how Regan got to the point of being popular? In the case of my family, it being close to the "worshipped" President Reagan among Southern Evangelicals would make sense I guess, but you'd think they'd go with that spelling instead if that's what the inspiration for the name was. I never asked their parents, I don't really care enough to actually talk to my relatives unless I have to...

Zemgirl
05-02-2011, 09:18 PM
IIRC, there were four Heathers in my French class. I just dated myself, didn't I? :D

genevieve
05-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Many years ago, in the same class, I taught a Meagan, Maeghan, Meghan, and a Megan. In that same class I had a Caitlyn, Katelyn, and a Kaitlin. Such a bizarre situation for one class period
My high school had Loura, Lora, Lara, Liara, Lorae and many Lauras. I don't mind any of those variations, and to mea they're all pronounced differently (especially Liara and Lorae).

I really just have a hard time with the Kristin/Kirstin/Kerstin/Kirsten...the subtle vowel differences are too hard to remember :yikes:

BaileyCatts
05-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I just had a brush with one today ..... Prunella. :wideeyes:

rjblue
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM
I just had a brush with one today ..... Prunella. :wideeyes:
Awww. Her mother was an Arthur fan! I liked Prunella. (http://arthur.wikia.com/wiki/Prunella_Deegan)

emason
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Did you ever see that old tv comedy "Angie" starring Donna Pescow and Robert Hays? Her friends were called the "three Mary's" because they were each named Mary - that always struck me as funny because my grade school class had a ton of Mary's. However I don't think my niece is finishing high school and hasn't had one girl named Mary in her classes.

There's also the old episode of the Dick Van Dyke show where Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore try to avoid telling their son Richie what his middle name is. After a lot of waffling around it comes out that the poor kid's middle name is Rosebud. It seems that one grandparent wanted it to be Oscar, another wanted it to be Sam, and so on and finally the parents just used all the first initials of all the choices but the unfortunate result was Rosebud.

ryanbfan
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Its "Heaven" spelled backwards. Which is why the people who I know choose it. And they think they were oh so original when they choose it. :rolleyes: I can't stand these made up names either.

My cousin named her kid this. :duh:
For that reason. :duh:

And the little girl is a huge brat. Me and my boyfriend always have said Nevaeh is a prostitute name.

ETA: Isn't Frank Zappa's kid named Moon Unit?

ETA 2: K, Wikipedia confirmed it.

Frank Zappa's four kids:

Moon Unit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Zappa
Dweezil Zappa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dweezil_Zappa
Ahmet Zappa (not weird or anything, but can you imagine saying that entire name) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Zappa
Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen Zappa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diva_Zappa

ETA 3: OH and one more thing. My cousin graduated from high school in a red neck town. Some girl who graduated with him was named Diamond Unique.

suep1963
05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
I can deal with Moon Unit. There is no question that it's an odd name. No cutsie spelling.

My sister and bil chose Amanda for DD#2. They liked the name, they have a one syllable last name, it sounded nice with the last name. Not too many people using Amanda. She had four other Amandas in her preschool--I think there were only 15 kids.

My dad and two of his cousins were all born around the same time. All three were boys, all three were juniors. Not one of them became Junior though, most likely because no one in the family wanted the confusion of three Juniors. They did end up calling the cousins Bud and Buddy.

nyrak
05-03-2011, 03:30 AM
A girl at work was recently telling me about a family she knows with 3 children : Asher Thrasher, Captain Friday & Blueberry Sunshine. I'm pretty sure the first 2 are boys and the last one is a girl....I don't think anyone really likes their own name, but I seriously would consider suing my parents if they stuck me with a name like that.

Holley Calmes
05-03-2011, 04:40 AM
What I find appalling is the grandparents and other family members who won't call the kid by the name the parents gave it, like it or not. My own Darling Mother wanted me to name my tiny daughter "Rosamond" but I didn't. We named her "Paris" which my mother hated. She called her "Sissy" and still does. My daughter is 37, my mother is 83. She still calls her Sissy.

Now, Sissy has two sons. One they named "Alexander" but call him Xander. I think it's cute. But the in-laws will not hear of it. They call him "Alex." Thoughts anyone? I say, let the parents have their time! Call the kid what the parents want, whether you like it or not. I remember it was like a slap in the face for my mother to have distain for what I named my daughter. A huge lack of respect. It was Not Good. Therapy helps.

PDilemma
05-03-2011, 04:45 AM
What I find appalling is the grandparents and other family members who won't call the kid by the name the parents gave it, like it or not. My own Darling Mother wanted me to name my tiny daughter "Rosamond" but I didn't. We named her "Paris" which my mother hated. She called her "Sissy" and still does. My daughter is 37, my mother is 83. She still calls her Sissy.

Now, Sissy has two sons. One they named "Alexander" but call him Xander. I think it's cute. But the in-laws will not hear of it. They call him "Alex." Thoughts anyone? I say, let the parents have their time! Call the kid what the parents want, whether you like it or not. I remember it was like a slap in the face for my mother to have distain for what I named my daughter. A huge lack of respect. It was Not Good. Therapy helps.

My cousin had a baby when she was 17. Her parents hated the name she chose and called the kid a diminutive version of his middle name for four years until her second child started talking and would stare in confusion and say "who?" whenever they called his brother by the wrong name. They had to give up and use his proper name. I thought it was awful. I don't like the kid's name either, but it's not my kid.

my little pony
05-03-2011, 04:48 AM
i see your point. but if my daughter named her kids firecracker and corduroy, i'd probably just say "hey buddy." also, in my family no one over the age of 30 knows anyone's name and they improvise. it isnt that they are making a statement about it. they just cant remember. growing up i knew to answer to the cat's name and also for some reason, linda. we didnt even know one of those.