PDA

View Full Version : Kawaguti/Smirnov Cheer thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

millipied
04-27-2011, 08:45 PM
I know this is one of those "most ridiculed and hated" teams, or more like Yuko is the one, in the web world. But I am really sorry to see them end their career on that note. I know the LP is still ahead and everything can happen and I hope they can fight to the end.
While not the biggest fan, I have always admired Yuko's bravery, sacrifice, and dedication to sport along with that special caring relationship Alexander, Yuko and Tamara have.
Please relax, skate from your heart tomorrow and be happy in your professionla and personal lives!
Good Luck!

Cherub721
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Have they announced that they are ending their career?

I agree with you, I'm so disappointed they're in that position because of a silly mistake. Poor Sasha must feel like crap. I'd like to be the one to comfort him. :P

Yuko is the biggest rockstar in pairs, just fearless :respec: And he's flawless. They're an unlikely pairing, but they've always worked well together. The Swan SP :swoon:

MikiAndoFan#1
04-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I felt terrible for them. They looked so sad. :( They have one of the best long programs this season and I hope they perform it perfectly tomorrow. Good luck! :cheer2:

millipied
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Have they announced that they are ending their career?

Officially not, but the rumormill has it that they done their job of gap fillers and now with the V/T and others, no longer needed. I am 99.9% certain this is their last year.:(
Still for a skater to be so unfortunately not built for pair skating, they have done well and can be proud.

Taso
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
They're retiring after this??? NOOOO, I wanted them to stay another season to develop this long program even more......................

Well...one last shot tomorrow. A medal is so unlikely, but at least a beautiful performance of a truly gorgeous program is possible...

julieann
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Are you serious!?! Why would you start something like that :slinkaway

If every team ended their career after 5 season (and only 3 were full seasons) there wouldn't be any pairs left.

I have watched them both since they were with their former partners and this was only the second time he has ever fallen in comeptetition (2008 euros on a 3T) and you want them to retire?

They have beat every team in the world (even injured) except S/Z, just give them a season to get their mojo back.

They have one of the best long programs of the seasons and it's the second highest scoring program, give them a chance to prove it.

They look so much more mature from even last year I hope to see them around for a while because I think they haven't peaked.

I'd like to be the one to comfort him.

ditto :swoon:

Vash01
04-28-2011, 12:29 AM
K&S have a lovely LP this year. I hope they will skate it to perfection and stand on the podium. I have always admired Yuko for her fighting spirit, tiny body with a strong heart.

Yazmeen
04-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Having heard from my buds at SCOSNJ what lovely people both of them really are and how great they were to the young pairs and other skaters coming up, I hope they kick major ice and end up on the podium!!!

LilJen
04-28-2011, 01:14 AM
"no longer needed"? Ouch. I'm not their biggest fan but I think they should say "stuff it" to TPTB and keep skating!

judgejudy27
04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I would be dissapointed if both Kavaguti & Smirnov and Pang & Tong retire as seems to be the case. This would create a real lack of depth in the pairs field at the top. Savchenko & Szolkowy and Volosozhar & Trankov would probably be not beaten by any other pair except each other for the entire Olympic cycle in this case, and which pairs would emerge to fight for the podium after that.

millipied
04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I would not go as far as to say that there is lack of depth in second echelon of World Pairs skating. I believe three Russian teams- B/L, G/E, I/M and junior Chinese can already challenge for international podiums. But I agree that I wish K/S and P/T stay. I suspect that P/T will be forced to stick around though.

julieann
04-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I would be dissapointed if both Kavaguti & Smirnov and Pang & Tong retire as seems to be the case. This would create a real lack of depth in the pairs field at the top. Savchenko & Szolkowy and Volosozhar & Trankov would probably be not beaten by any other pair except each other for the entire Olympic cycle in this case, and which pairs would emerge to fight for the podium after that.

Pang and Tong have already said they are staying until Sochi and K/S have proven that S/S can be beaten, at Euros and at last years Worlds they were less than one point behind them. I wouldn't be so quick to count either team out.

G/E are no where near ready for 2014 - 2018, maybe. I/M will have to change coaches and choreographers to get better scores, what they do now isn't cutting it.

judgejudy27
04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Pang and Tong have already said they are staying until Sochi

Actually they have said this is their final season and they are retiring to get married. If I am wrong on that I would be happy but that is what I have read and heard many times over. Heck they even said it themselves at 4CCs.

and K/S have proven that S/S can be beaten, at Euros and at last years Worlds they were less than one point behind them.

That wont matter if they retire. And wins over S/S in the Olympic season need to put into a seperate category of sorts as that was their biggest slump season ever. Even Dube & Davison had a victory over S/S that year, LOL!

I do think if both teams retire you will see B/L and S/H as the main threats for the bronze medal next year. Maybe I/M if they improve further. I wonder if the Zhangs will be coming back.

julieann
04-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Actually they have said this is their final season and they are retiring to get married.

They just said they are staying about 5 minutes ago in an interview, so I'll take them at their word. Besides skatetrs can get married at any time, Smirnov did it last year.

That wont matter if they retire. And wins over S/S in the Olympic season need to put into a seperate category of sorts as that was their biggest slump season ever. Even Dube & Davison had a victory over S/S that year, LOL!

Those programs were not slumps they were just beaten. Just as K/S didn't have the best season this year after all the surgeries, injuries and late starts.

Although, one gold, two silver and a 4th at Worlds is something most teams would kill for.

millipied
04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
They just said they are staying about 5 minutes ago in an interview, so I'll take them at their word. Besides skatetrs can get married at any time, Smirnov did it last year.

I was just watching press event after LP and Tong stated that he is not sure if they will continue but they would like that. He did not sound positive.
Also, Savchenko could not confirm if they stay. She stated they will be looking at it year by year.