PDA

View Full Version : Kawaguti/Smirnov Cheer thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

judgejudy27
04-28-2011, 07:58 PM
It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes over the next 3 years. It looks like Pang and Tong, Savchenko and Szolkowy, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and the Zhangs are all question marks. Volosozhar & Trankov you know will be there and will probably be the gold medal favorites by 2014, but there could be a wide open race for the other medals if all the top veteran teams retire.

Vash01
04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes over the next 3 years. It looks like Pang and Tong, Savchenko and Szolkowy, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and the Zhangs are all question marks. Volosozhar & Trankov you know will be there and will probably be the gold medal favorites by 2014, but there could be a wide open race for the other medals if all the top veteran teams retire.

Don't forget the Chinese. The judges seem to like Hui-San a lot.

I hope they all stay till Sochi. It will make for a great pairs event.

judgejudy27
04-28-2011, 09:01 PM

I think the Chinese federation will want Sui & Han as their #1 if Pang & Tong retire. However I dont know what will happen when she grows. I have a feeling the Zhangs will only be their last resort option as a #1 team at this point.

julieann
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM

I really think the Zhangs are out, can it really take a year for a finger to heal? There must be something else happening with them. No one can say who will be around in 3 years anyone can get sick or injured esp if it's career ending.

I like them, she just can't grow, although I like Takahashi and Tran as well.

I was just watching press event after LP and Tong stated that he is not sure if they will continue but they would like that. He did not sound positive.
Also, Savchenko could not confirm if they stay. She stated they will be looking at it year by year.

I think they just say that to play it safe.

We we talking about how bad K/S must feel about being in 4th but honestly Smirnov was 6th at Jr. Worlds just 5 years ago and Yuko never got above 13th with her former partner so I think they are still pretty happy.

On to a new season (but i hope they keep the long, just make it more difficult)

judgejudy27
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
I also hope everyone stays in for 2014. It would be the most amazing competition with all the veterans and all the up and comers going at it. Much better than Vancouver which was a bit boring IMO. I would even like the Zhangs to return, while I havent been their biggest fans in the past, but I too doubt they will now. I figured they would skate at Worlds this year with it rescheduled in May, I think they just arent that motivated now. And with Pang & Tong continuing and Sui & Han emerging the federation will probably let them stop.

easilydistracte
04-29-2011, 03:30 AM
Here's a quote from Golden Skate's Pairs LP report (http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/w_pl.shtml):
"We skated good, beautifully and gently," said Smirnov. "It was hard to concentrate for this performance, but Yuko told me let's skate for us, for our coach, for the audience here, and so we did. I think we made what we wanted. We gave everybody this feeling of warmth. One element didn't come out, but we still have time until Sochi."
I, too, hope everyone stays until Sochi. I love pairs!!

viv
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I think the Russian crowd showed that they want them to stay. Even on tv it was noticeable how much they were cheered after their LP, and Sigi Heinrich on Eurosport said something about the crowd "showed how grateful they are towards K&S for winning medals for Russia in the past year". With Gerbold&Enbert also eager to compete it will not be easy to qualify for the Russian team in the next years but at least I wish they would give it a try. I liked their programs this year a lot, I think they worked into the right direction, and it is sad that just this year it didn't work out for them.

zizi
04-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Let's wait to see. I really think Pang/Tong will retire and never come back.
Hoping K/S and Z/Z have a chance in the future.

Belinda
05-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I like Kavaguti & Smirnov; they have a unique charm. But when I stop to analyse I only see imperfections. The time they must have spent practising quad throws should have been spent improving triple throws and twists. Claire de Lune is a wonderful program. But they never skated it perfectly. Perhaps I like it because of the music and choreography. Can this piece be better performed by another pair? The answer probably is yes, but can you imagine any other pair performing this piece and creating the same impression as does K&S? This pair has certain fragility, ephemerality, unlikeliness about them. This may be because by now we all expect them to fail at some point, a fall here, a step out there etc, and we hold our breath hoping for a miracle of a clean skate. Do you know how many people have shed tears watching thier Claire de Lune and Gala performance this past week? So many people say they like Kavaguti & Smirnov. It is a mistery

easilydistracte
05-04-2011, 03:05 AM
Here's Yuko & Sasha's Worlds exhibition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxP9ETIoZs0). [They mix and match their costumes don't they? Her dress is from their "Love Story" LP from the 2007-08 season and his costume is from their LP early last season before they switched to different costumes.] I love the music from Spirited Away and am happy that they chose Japanese music. A couple of different versions of their music here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bba_r6xJaI&feature=related) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bhp6mJhjFg&feature=related). There's a short posting in their blog (http://blog.livedoor.jp/yukosasha/) explaining the music choice.

I really like their exhibition number. I think they do better with simpler, quieter music than with something that's extremely convoluted (for want of a more appropriate word). Loved the grin on her face during their introduction and kind of "Aww"-ed at the end when they smiled at each other and hugged.

With the season over, I'm thinking positive thoughts that they will both be able to rest and recover and heal completely from their injuries and get stronger. Looking forward to their being 100% next season and able to skate their programs to their full potential. I wouldn't mind at all if they kept both programs. However, I've also been wondering how they'd do if they skated to a cut from this piece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyFeT0Tpkk) from the [I]Departures soundtrack. (The ending credits music is great, too--up-tempo and orchestral. Tried to link it, but couldn't get the link to work.) [Maybe the slow parts are too slow and the fast parts (in the ending credits music) too fast?] Would be interesting to see, anyway.

Kelvster
05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I totally agree with Belinda's comments above. This pair has a v. special quality ...

Yuko's awkwardness and fiery character combined with Smirnov's gentle touch always creates magic for me. In fact, I like nearly all their long programmes in the past - Love story, Paliogacci (can't remember the spelling :lol:) and this year's claire de lune (It's v. touching indeed ... there's so much LOVE in that programme :wuzrobbed). It would be so sad to see them leave after the performances in Moscow. I am hoping they can stay until Sochi and sneak a bronze medal there, but I just don't know whether Yuko's body will allow her to do so ......... :(

Yuko's life should be turned into a movie (all the sacrifices she made to move to Russia, to learn the lingo, dislocated shoulders, etc., etc.,)

And anyway, whatever happens, they will always be the 2010 European Champions and multiple time world medallists!!

Kelvster
05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
And I like the Departures soundtrack too - think they can do a great job with it. I was hoping that Miki Ando would skate to it ...

easilydistracte
05-05-2011, 01:07 AM
And I like the Departures soundtrack too - think they can do a great job with it. I was hoping that Miki Ando would skate to it ...
Here's the theme from the closing credits from Departures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbUO5rgeFOQ). I like the fast second part--it reminds me of flying high and free in the clear blue sky. So uplifting. Would love to see what Yuko & Sasha could do with this music.

Proustable
05-06-2011, 04:04 AM
I think their "Claire de Lune" LP is the best program of last season and one of my all time favourite pairs programs.

Belinda
05-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Apparently, Yuko told an interviewer from the Yomiuri newspaper (13 May) that they would skate Claire de Lune next season too. She wants to skate it to perfection. (I cannot find this article on the Yomiuri online web; I am quoting from Japanese bloggers). She also refers to the difficulties of the 10/11 season, with injuries & time out etc, which forced her to communicate with Sasha more off ice. Previously, she'd thought practising lovers on ice under Tamara's instruction was enough to create the image but she hadn't been happy with the results in the competitions. She also mentions a desire to try quad throws again. I rather worry about this; I want them to carry on safe & sound till Sochi. I hope she won't injure her sholders again.