PDA

View Full Version : Decisions of the ISU Council announced in their latest communications 1671

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Susan M
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
We're going to get Alyssa and Sasha and Ryan and the Kerrs some international ISU 'World Champion" titles by hook or crook, doggone it!
I don't see anything here that suggests the winners of the ICE events will be called world champions.

if nothing else, this will give some of the recent "retired but not official" skaters a chance to compete again without committing to a full season.

I think you've got it. My guess is also it will be mostly for pro and post-eligible competition skaters. If it had been held this year, for example, we probably would have seen Lysacek and Weir at this event. I am kind of disappointed about the 10 year cut-off for medalists, though. I'd like to see some competitions come along that might motivate Kulik to train his jumps back up. Prettiest triple axel ever and I miss it.

From the announcement, it sounds like ISU free skate rules will be used for one portion of it, but the details about the rest are still TBD.

I dunno. Just hate the general cheapening of the sport...a Team Event in the Olympics and now this.

I agree with you about the team event part. At least this has been reduced from the singles-heavy format of recent team events. I wonder though, how many countries had Olympic entries in all 4 disciplines?

I still think it would be best if this event was held last, like the swimming & track relays. I think the ISU has made way too many bad decisions already looking only to gymnastics for ideas.

Cherub721
04-21-2011, 01:09 AM
The pool should be pretty small if it's just World/Oly medalists from the past 10 years. That's too limiting, I think. It would exclude skaters like Ilia Kulik and Surya Bonaly who seem to be in pretty good shape. Even someone like Yagudin would only have one season where he'd still be eligible.

JerseySlore
04-21-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm digging the pro-am competition idea.

casken
04-21-2011, 03:17 AM
If it gets skaters like Lambiel, Arakawa, Buttle, Weir, Cohen, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Annissina & Peizerat, Delobel & Schoenfelder, etc, back in competition, I'm all for it.

I do HATE the fact that it's associated in any way with Scott Hamilton, which means high quality international skaters will probably get passed over for lower quality NA skaters. :blah:

misskarne
04-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Is this a Plushenko consolation prize?

He is getting reinstated. They already said it would likely be in June. Why is it so hard for people to get through their thick skulls that he was not banned for life? :wall:

The pool should be pretty small if it's just World/Oly medalists from the past 10 years. That's too limiting, I think. It would exclude skaters like Ilia Kulik and Surya Bonaly who seem to be in pretty good shape. Even someone like Yagudin would only have one season where he'd still be eligible.

Exactly...10 years is crazy. I mean, Kulik still has a 3A ffs. Are they seriously going to stop him from competing in this thing? His skating is probably better than half the current men! (lol, maybe this IS the problem!).

Basically if it's Olympic medallists within 10 years, after next year we're talking Torino and Vancouver only. World medallists...you're not getting much variety. Variety IS needed in something like that.

JerseySlore
04-21-2011, 03:40 AM
Yes, 10 years clause is too limiting. Fortunately, even if enforced, it doesn't exclude Suguri so that's something. :lol:

casken
04-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Yes, 10 years clause is too limiting. Fortunately, even if enforced, it doesn't exclude Suguri so that's something. :lol:

OMG, I just realized, this is really the "Fumie Suguri Retirement Initiative". :lol:

She can finally retire from amateur competition but still be able compete for ten more years!

Louis
04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
I agree that, off the cuff, it seems too limiting to restrict it to medalists in the past 10 years.

Maybe this pro competition could have divisions, based on retirement year from eligible skating? Heck, look at all of the excitement Midori Ito's apparent return to adult skating has caused. Why not cash in on that publicity and help share the thrill with more fans by having a division for skaters who retired pre-2000? I'd watch a Kristi-Midori rematch. I'm sure Nicole Bobek would jump at the chance to skate (and be great for ratings), and someone like Caryn Kadavy (24 years after her world medal!) is still unbelievably good shape and a great story. This is a skating competition I'd watch.

4rkidz
04-21-2011, 04:17 AM
I'd love to see a real pro am event again, and I hope Scott is able to arrange it. There are a lot of retired competitive skaters I'd love to see in "competition" again.

me too :D

Visaliakid
04-21-2011, 06:26 AM

A list of women eligible based on those rules listed in the ISU Communications:

Joannie Rochette CAN
Laura Lepisto FIN
Carolina Kostner ITA
Fumie Suguri JPN
Shizuka Arakawa JPN
Mao Asada JPN
Miki Ando JPN
Yu-Na Kim KOR
Irina Slutskaya RUS
Elena Sokolova RUS
Sarah Hughes USA
Michelle Kwan USA
Sasha Cohen USA
Kimmie Meissner USA

A list of eligible men:

Jeffrey Buttle CAN
Patrick Chan CAN
Brian Joubert FRA
Stefan Lindemann GER
Takeshi Honda JPN
Daisuke Takahashi JPN
Alexei Yagudin RUS
Evgeni Plushenko RUS
Stephane Lambiel SUI
Timothy Goebel USA
Evan Lysacek USA
Johnny Weir USA

Eligible Pairs:

Jamie Sale / David Pelletier CAN
Jessica Dube / Bryce Davison CAN
Xue Shen / Hongbo Zhao CHN
Qing Pang / Jian Tong CHN
Dan Zhang / Hao Zhang CHN
Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy GER
Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze RUS
Tatiana Totmianina / Maxim Marinin RUS
Maria Petrova / Alexei Tikhonov RUS
Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov RUS
Kyoko Ina / John Zimmerman USA

Eligible Ice Dancers:

Albena Denkova / Maxim Staviski BUL
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir CAN
Marie-France Dubreuil / Patrice Lauzon CAN
Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz CAN
Isabelle Delobel / Olivier Schoenfelder FRA
Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat FRA
Kati Winkler / René Lohse GER
Galit Chait / Sergei Sakhnovski ISR
Federica Faiella / Massimo Scali ITA
Barbara Fusar-Poli / Maurizio Margaglio ITA
Oksana Domnina / Maxim Shabalin RUS
Jana Khokhlova / Sergei Novitski RUS
Tatiana Navka / Roman Kostomarov RUS
Irina Lobacheva / Ilia Averbukh RUS
Elena Grushina / Ruslan Goncharov UKR
Meryl Davis / Charlie White USA
Tanith Belbin / Benjamin Agosto USA

So bottom line, according to the rules, but not including next weeks worlds;

11 Pairs, 12 Men, 14 Ladies, and 17 Ice Dance Teams have won a world or olympic medal within 10 seasons.

Eislauffan
04-21-2011, 06:39 AM
As for the ten years limit, it says they "should be" medalists of the past ten years. This doesn't sound like there can't be any exceptions. We'll see. I don't think they'd turn down someone like Ilia Kulik should he choose to apply for participation.

casken
04-21-2011, 07:31 AM
If it's a pro-am mix, what's the scoring system going to be like?

Is it just going to be the current scoring system(CoP)? That would difficult for any pre 2005 or so skater to adjust to. Although CoP requirements aren't as harsh as say, 2006, since there are less elements, I suspect it would be easier to attract skaters like Lambiel and Weir if they don't have to weigh down their programs worrying about levels and stuff.

It'll be interesting if some separate, simplified system gets introduced for this event that eventually expands to all skating. Something that falls somewhere in between 6.0 and current the CoP.

Or am I just being naive and it'll just be like the "Ten!!!!!!!" fests that were the World Pro's in the 90's. :shuffle:

ciocio
04-21-2011, 07:42 AM
What????? No Ilia and Yagudin eligible only one year???? What´s this????? :eek:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angryfire

misskarne
04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
What????? No Ilia and Yagudin eligible only one year???? What´s this????? :eek:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angryfire

What great publicity it would be for the show - Plushenko and Yagudin going head to head again for the first time in years! (And I'm sure neither of them would object to renewing some of their rivalry :lol:)

But IMAGINE what a competition it would be with Yagudin, Plushenko AND Kulik...maybe that's what they're afraid of? That those three would show everyone up? :lol::lol::lol:

ciocio
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
What great publicity it would be for the show - Plushenko and Yagudin going head to head again for the first time in years! (And I'm sure neither of them would object to renewing some of their rivalry :lol:)

But IMAGINE what a competition it would be with Yagudin, Plushenko AND Kulik...maybe that's what they're afraid of? That those three would show everyone up? :lol::lol::lol:

Nobody would watch real Worlds anymore. :lol::rofl: