PDA

View Full Version : New pair team: Jessica Dubé and Sébastien Wolfe

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

dramagrrl
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
This has a very "Anabelle and Cody" vibe to it....with them both splitting with their respective partners, training together, skating together to keep up the pairs skills and then deciding to skate with each other. Hopefully they'll have the same success that Anabelle and Cody did!!!
It also has an Anabelle and Cody vibe to it in the less-than-honourable way the female partner went about dumping the (supportive, more consistent) male. I was never able to fully cheer for Anabelle and Cody after what she did to Patrice and I will never be able to fully cheer for Jessica and Sebastien (as much as I have always liked Jess's skating) after the way she handled this situation with Bryce. :(

blue_idealist
04-17-2011, 10:31 PM
It also has an Anabelle and Cody vibe to it in the less-than-honourable way the female partner went about dumping the (supportive, more consistent) male. I was never able to fully cheer for Anabelle and Cody after what she did to Patrice and I will never be able to fully cheer for Jessica and Sebastien (as much as I have always liked Jess's skating) after the way she handled this situation with Bryce. :(

Hmm, I never kknew the full story on that

Pratfall
04-18-2011, 12:49 AM
:lol: Bravo, Jessica and good luck !

I find the level of vitriol levelled at these young women completely bizarre . I suppose some people would be happier if they had continued to stay and stay in a partnership that had stagnated ( or the other older partner was wanting to retire , or whatever ) and cut their careers short.
Are we talking about athletes, or characters in a soap opera ...

shutterbug
04-18-2011, 01:00 AM

I could never bring myself to cheer for Anabelle and Cody either for the same reason. Unfortunately it will be the same with Jessica and Sebastien, even though I quite like Seb. It’s a shame when the origins of a partnership influence how you feel about a team. Slightly OT, didn’t Anabelle also try out with Craig Buntin when he was searching for a partner in 2007?

my little pony
04-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Jess' dress in the photo with that article is better than most of the competition costumes she's had for the last 5 years.

ita! where was this frock hiding?

ksneds
04-18-2011, 02:04 AM
:lol: Bravo, Jessica and good luck !

I find the level of vitriol levelled at these young women completely bizarre . I suppose some people would be happier if they had continued to stay and stay in a partnership that had stagnated ( or the other older partner was wanting to retire , or whatever ) and cut their careers short.
Are we talking about athletes, or characters in a soap opera ...

I don't think the "vitriol" is aimed at the ending of the partnerships - such partnerships evolve over time, and it's entirely natural for some to come to end earlier rather than later - but at the way in which they were ended.

The level of transparency in terms of making public the reasons behind the break-ups is very tricky issue with a lot of gray area. On one hand, skaters are certainly entitled to privacy in terms of their personal life, and decisions related to pairs teams can be intensely personal. After all, more than a few teams have become romantically involved, and that blurs the line between personal life and professional life.
Yet, on the other hand, elite pairs teams like Dube & Davison and Langlois & Hay, are making a career out of their skating. Not to mention receiving considerable funding from Skate Canada and other sponsors, and press coverage in national/international publications. So, I think that there's a reasonable expectation of publicity/transparency regarding their career and career decisions. Just as there would be - within the bounds of legal and privacy regulations - for any person working in a professional career. Especially when you are receiving funding from organizations - if the partnership ends, you better be able to clearly articulate why to the people who have given you money for a season that didn't happen.

As to Langlois & Hay - I don't know anything about the back story to their partnership, but they did end up making an Olympic team together so in retrospect, pairing up hardly seems a bad decision. Also, if you believe their Facebook pages, they are engaged, which might explain why Hay is not seeking out another competitive partner - not to mention that they seem quite busy with coaching and working on the reality TV ice shows.

flowerpower
04-18-2011, 02:26 AM
I don't think the "vitriol" is aimed at the ending of the partnerships - such partnerships evolve over time, and it's entirely natural for some to come to end earlier rather than later - but at the way in which they were ended.

The level of transparency in terms of making public the reasons behind the break-ups is very tricky issue with a lot of gray area. On one hand, skaters are certainly entitled to privacy in terms of their personal life, and decisions related to pairs teams can be intensely personal. After all, more than a few teams have become romantically involved, and that blurs the line between personal life and professional life.
Yet, on the other hand, elite pairs teams like Dube & Davison and Langlois & Hay, are making a career out of their skating. Not to mention receiving considerable funding from Skate Canada and other sponsors, and press coverage in national/international publications. So, I think that there's a reasonable expectation of publicity/transparency regarding their career and career decisions. Just as there would be - within the bounds of legal and privacy regulations - for any person working in a professional career. Especially when you are receiving funding from organizations - if the partnership ends, you better be able to clearly articulate why to the people who have given you money for a season that didn't happen.

I am puzzled by this comment. Due to Davison's injury, it was evident that they could not skate together this year - so Skate Canada and all other sponsors who may have given them money this season are well aware of why they did not compete.

I believe that the message posted at Skatebuzz announcing the end of their partnership, graciously thanking supporters/sponsors/etc. was highly appropriate. I do not believe that any more details are necessary.

I do not think that the "vitriol" relates to any business-related need for transparency.

ksneds
04-18-2011, 02:51 AM
I was referring to partnerships in general, not D&D in particular.

D&D's press release was an elegant end to the partnership. But there seems to be a lot of questions regarding Dube's new partnership and the real reasons for the end of D&D's partnership.
However, I was just trying to point out the difficulties/gray areas in what should be made public about partnerships beginning and ending.

flowerpower
04-18-2011, 04:13 AM
I was referring to partnerships in general, not D&D in particular.

D&D's press release was an elegant end to the partnership. But there seems to be a lot of questions regarding Dube's new partnership and the real reasons for the end of D&D's partnership.
However, I was just trying to point out the difficulties/gray areas in what should be made public about partnerships beginning and ending.

I hear what you're saying, fair enough.

IMO, when long-term relationships (either personal or professional) come to an end, there are often multiple reasons, and rarely a neat narrative. I personally don't feel that people outside the relationship need to know all of the details. D&D's press release was plenty for me.

There are always questions that can be asked about a break-up, but unless we know both people intimately, we never get the full story. And frankly I don't want to see D&D's dirty laundry (everyone has some). YMMV.

clarie
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Well, I, for one and glad Jess decided to stay with pairs and go with a new partner. She's still very young, and it's her prerogative whether she wants to change partners, skate singles, or quit. Davison, from what I gleaned from reports of his injuries, will be unable to skate competitively again, or at least it is doubtful. The dynamics of their past and present relationship are unknown and perhaps they want to keep it that way. I think Davison was trying to foster sympathy.......and I'm thinking "get on with it, man". Perhaps he will share his knowledge and experience in a coaching capacity. I wish him success in whatever he decides to do. Who knows, but I also wish every success to this new team. I hope they do well and I'm looking forward to seeing them at Can Nats next year.

skatingfan04
04-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Wow.:eek: I didn't see that coming. Good for her. I hope they do well together:)

leafygreens
04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
This is weird news, considering Jessica was so excited about pursuing her future as a single skater. I guess she changed her mind. There was talk about her breaking up with Bryce because she refused to leave Quebec. Maybe Sebastien meets this requirement.

Sylvia
04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Here's Wolfe's Senior Men's SP video from the Quebec Summer Championships in early August 2010:

Sebastien Wolfe (skating to 7 Nation Army!) pt. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyKZkjjat1k)
Sebastien Wolfe pt. 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrtahnAyQro)

ETA this relevant post from the D/D split thread:

I would certainly never describe Wolfe as a mediocre skater either. He's good in both pairs and singles. It will be interesting to see how the new pair meshes. IMO it's not quite a Duhamel/Radford situation, however; he just doesn't yet have the pairs experience that Eric Radford had going into that partnership. I think they will need one season to get their legs under them, and for him to get used to competing with a top-level pairs skater.

Getting back to my stuck record about mid-level pairs teams, I'll point out that Moore-Towers/Moscovitch were a mid-level pairs team last season (5th at 2009 Canadians) and this season are Canadian champions and made the Grand Prix Final. A lot can happen in one season with teams that are either a) relatively new to pairs or b) just moving out of juniors.

I'll make a prediction on which teams will have a breakout season next year. I think it will be Arseneault/Cote (who have really improved this season and IMO were seriously undermarked at Canadians) and Purich/Schultz (since as I've said before Natasha reminds me of a young Jamie Sale, with the jumps and without the attitude). I think those are the two teams with whom Dubé/Wolfe will be fighting for a spot on the national team.

I just don't think that Dubé/Wolfe will be fighting yet for the podium next season, given that Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch and Lawrence/Swiegers already are very good and seem to be continuing to improve quite quickly.

quebecoise
04-19-2011, 06:08 PM
This is weird news, considering Jessica was so excited about pursuing her future as a single skater. I guess she changed her mind. There was talk about her breaking up with Bryce because she refused to leave Quebec. Maybe Sebastien meets this requirement.

With all the talking and the articles, I think the real reason why she broke up with Bryce(on ice) was exactly what you said. She didn't want to make necessary sacrifices to improve their skating. She didn't want to leave Quebec and leave her coaches team(Annie Barabe, Sophie Richard).

It makes sense that now with Sebastien Wolfe, she can stay in Quebec and has Annie and Sophie as coaches.

briancoogaert
04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Here's Wolfe's Senior Men's SP video from the Quebec Summer Championships in early August 2010:
He looks really good. He is not as artistic as Bryce, but he can give to the team some energy !