PDA

View Full Version : What Piece of Music should Mirai skate to next season?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Flying Camel
04-16-2011, 08:42 PM
This season I just hated her music choices. I don't know if she picked them out or if Lori did but I think they were step back compared to her programs from the Olympic season. I actually loved her SP and LP from that season. But the 2011 season programs just looked thrown together and boring.
So, I'm thinking I would like to see her do something a little more challenging. Maybe some Romeo & Juliet, or maybe Cinderella. I think she could portray those characters well.
I just love those pieces of music. I haven't heard a skater skate to them in a while. What do you guys think? Good choice or bad? :cool::biggrinbo

victoriaheidi
04-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I wish Mirai would consider the score to Stavisky. She could skate to the theme and perhaps "Salon at Claridge #2" or another selection.

Cheylana
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Not sure why R&J would be more "challenging," the Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rota versions have been done to death and I don't really see Mirai as Juliet anyway :confused:

Triple Butz
04-16-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctfXIqugXc Dvorak New World Symphony: Fast, Powerful, and Serious (not cute).

Jammers
04-16-2011, 11:26 PM
I think Mirai needs something up tempo. I wasn't crazy at all about her SP this year. Her LP wasn't great either put i think that was because she never skated it the way it should have been skated. At 4CC where she finally put it all together i rather liked it.

orbitz
04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Schez for the LP ... unless Frank's saving it for Sochi :shuffle:

brina
04-17-2011, 12:56 AM
You know what's funny? Call it complete coincidence but last year around this time Mirai asked for music suggestions on her facebook and I posted a link to a performance of Un Sospiro on youtube.

So... whether or not that had anything to do with it (maybe I'm just deluding myself), I for one liked the music choice. I didn't care much for the arrangement though.

In regards to her LP, I found the Geisha idea to be kind of gimmicky. I am hoping she goes more in the direction of her LP choice from the year before, but maybe less overused.

snoopysnake
04-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Enescu's Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1

This (edited down considerably, of course) for the LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiOyOoGVls

The change in mood at 4:38 must be included, however. Also, the section that starts about the 6 minute mark and especially 7:15.

Coco
04-17-2011, 02:05 AM
This girl deserves a fresh choreographer who doesn't view her personality in such a limited way. Not very articulate right now, but I feel like Mirai's natural expressiveness is treated as a "crime" or something to work around or turn into something hammy and comical. She could have such range, and I don't think she's treated very seriously by Lori.

inthemiddle
04-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Enescu's Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1

This (edited down considerably, of course) for the LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiOyOoGVls

The change in mood at 4:38 must be included, however. Also, the section that stars about the 6 minute mark and especially 7:15.

Love it. This is one of my all time favorites.

essence_of_soy
04-17-2011, 03:54 AM
You know what's funny? Call it complete coincidence but last year around this time Mirai asked for music suggestions on her facebook and I posted a link to a performance of Un Sospiro on youtube.

I loved that part of Mirai's short program.

Thank you for broadening my musical education.

victoriaheidi
04-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Mirai has a facebook? :)

Karpenko
04-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Cinderella could actually be a beautiful program for Mirai. I still think her "Coppelia" LP is her best program to date. If you meshed the new improved Mirai the skater with another balletic LP, I think she could produce one of the most beautiful LP's we've ever seen.

I liked Memoirs, I still want to see it at Worlds :( but Mirai is a woman now and from here until Sochi I think she should try to play up the beauty of her skating more when putting programs together and less the personality, which will naturally come out in spades because it's Mirai.

Marco
04-18-2011, 09:14 AM
I want Mirai to skate to Liebestraum, but it might be too soon to skate to it next season. Maybe for Sochi?!

God forbid I think Don Quixote might suit Mirai well :shuffle:

floskate
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I want to see her skate to something that will help her use her arms better. I totally blame Lori for this but her endless use of ballet arm positions not done very well or gracefully drive me nuts and believe me, I LOVE Mirai's skating. They don't mean anything and don't add anything. If she could gain more fluidity to her use of arm movements a la Asada & Kim, then artistically she would be something else. As it is, while the rest of her skating is amazing, I'm always left with a junior feel about it which should really be gone by now. But again, I really do blame Lori for this ;)