PDA

View Full Version : Watching old tapes: today- mens fs Salt Lake City 2002

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Holley Calmes
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I am a born and raised citizen of the USA, and I would have been perfectly delighted with a Russian 1-2-3 at the SLC games. I know.....but, personally, it would have prefered it.

let`s talk
04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
well, it's not so strange he's in this thread, is it...? :shuffle:
Absolutely !!!

:plush:

At least I'm glad you're so easy to please! :D

... if you have quads, brilliant skating skills, unbeatable confidence, musculinity, super command of ice, charisma, a big nose and not the nose only, you can try to please people too if it is that easy as you say. :shuffle:

Vagabond
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
a more obscure guy I lhave a soft spot for:
Roman Skorniakov UZB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCet-f2rKY

he actually skated quite well:)

Thank you for posting this link! I'm not sure that I had ever seen him skate before. Skorniakov and his wife, Tatiana Malinina, trained under the same coach, Igor Ksenofotov. After Ksenofotov died in an accident, the couple trained each other. The similarity between the two skaters' styles is striking.

gkelly
04-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Whatever, I'm sure everyone agrees on one thing: in the SP, Sasha was really robbed.

Nah, I thought at the time that fifth place was exactly right for that short program, and I haven't changed my mind. Should I go back to the SP thread and explain my reasoning?

There's room for disagreement, but please don't tell me you're sure I agree with you.

casken
04-19-2011, 01:39 AM
I really love Yagudin, but for me that performance of MITIM wasn't him giving his 100%, and I'm not talking about watering down the technical difficulty (2 quads and his gigantic 3a is still totally amazing...). For me that program never had much choreographic content nor I sensed a very soulful performance by Alexei.
Don't get me wrong, he totally deserved the Gold Medal but I'll always associate that music to A/P 99 free dance...and Honda skated better to it, too imho:dog:

Agree 100%. I hated *both* of Yag's Olympic programs (yes Winter too. Especially Winter, actually). MITIM felt like a retread of Gladiator, except without the good parts. It's my least favorite LP he's done as a senior, other than the sloppy Carmen FS from way back when he skated in seniors in 96-97. Even the Sviridov mishmash Mishin did for him in 98 or the "thrown together at the last second Tosca" LP from 2000 are better than MITIM.

My favorite program of his, apart from Gladiator, was the obscure Broken Arrow program. That was Tarasova at her best: dark, intense and powerful as only Yagudin could deliver.

"Broken Arrow" is my favorite Yag's program by far, so of course it's the one that got the cold shoulder from the judges. :blah:

misskarne
04-19-2011, 04:53 AM
Nah, I thought at the time that fifth place was exactly right for that short program, and I haven't changed my mind. Should I go back to the SP thread and explain my reasoning?

There's room for disagreement, but please don't tell me you're sure I agree with you.

You thought a clean, interesting program deserved to be placed behind a fall?

gkelly
04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I thought that taking all elements and all presentation criteria into account, Plushenko started with a higher base mark than Abt. Then I subtracted 0.4 deduction for Plushenko's fall and maybe 0.2 deductions for Abt, and Plushenko still came out ahead. When I get a chance I'll give details in the SP thread.

shine
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I really love Yagudin, but for me that performance of MITIM wasn't him giving his 100%, and I'm not talking about watering down the technical difficulty (2 quads and his gigantic 3a is still totally amazing...). For me that program never had much choreographic content nor I sensed a very soulful performance by Alexei.
My favorite program of his, apart from Gladiator, was the obscure Broken Arrow program. That was Tarasova at her best: dark, intense and powerful as only Yagudin could deliver.
Don't get me wrong, he totally deserved the Gold Medal but I'll always associate that music to A/P 99 free dance...and Honda skated better to it, too imho:dog:
Thanks. I agree with this post. Alexei's 2002 performance has always been talked about as ultimate men's performance but I always found it kind of underwhelming. I loved his Gladiator (2000 Skate Canada) and Lawrance of Arabia (1999 Worlds) a lot more.

Also totally agree about A/P and Honda's programs to MITIM. Honda musicality really shined in that program and it was a lot more heart felt than Alexei's IMO.

senorita
04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I love LOVE Yags broken arrow as his best ever program :)

Holley Calmes
04-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I think I first fell in love with Alexei for his Lawrence of Arabia. I am old enough to remember the movie coiming out...and beautiful young Peter O'Toole, and that glorious music! I was VERY young, but it made an impression. That is one perfect program...I was entranced, although possibly "softened up" before hand.

paskatefan
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
^ Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite long program of Alexei's too. Overall I have enjoyed his Olympic eligible programs more than his professional ones 9an exception being "Racing" - I love that one).

SmallFairy
04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I loved Broken Arrow too!! The music was awsome, and he expressed it so well!
I was really sad he changed it for worlds, stupid judges didn't "get it" or "recieve it well" ?!? go back to your rocks!!
(btw in Tosca, a lot of Broken Arrow moves appeared, very funny lol)

I love all Yagudins eligable programs, and have a hard time ranking them, but I agree MITIM was not his best. I loved the total package of emotions, program and technique in Salt Lake, but my ultimate dream would have been if he had won Olympics with Gladiator!!
I can't believe he never won a major title with Gladiator, it's my definitely my favourite program of his, at Euros in Bratislava the audience went mad for him after he finished, that program had everything. Makes me shiver just thinking about it!

It's really hard to say what program of his that comes second or third or fourth....Circus, LoA, Nutrocker, Broken Arrow, Winter....the were all so freakin GOOD!!!
(and no, I have not forgotten One Banana lol lol)

misskarne
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought that taking all elements and all presentation criteria into account, Plushenko started with a higher base mark than Abt. Then I subtracted 0.4 deduction for Plushenko's fall and maybe 0.2 deductions for Abt, and Plushenko still came out ahead. When I get a chance I'll give details in the SP thread.

See, the problem I have with this is (and this is regardless of who is skating) a fall is a MAJOR mistake. I don't think the penalties for falling are harsh enough. I will always believe that Plushy should have been at least fifth after the SP in SLC (although it must be said that the recovery was flawless - he still fell, and on the hardest combination jump, too). Likewise I will always believe that it should have been completely impossible for Patrick Chan to win Skate Canada with four falls. I just don't think that falls are penalised hard enough.

^ Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite long program of Alexei's too. Overall I have enjoyed his Olympic eligible programs more than his professional ones 9an exception being "Racing" - I love that one).

I must go look it up - I think I actually may not have watched that. I always seem to discover a program every so often that I haven't seen before. I recall seeing the costume and I loved its simplicity.

(Racing was actually his 2002-2003 SP - he performed it at Skate Canada before withdrawing before the LP ;)) But I agree. I do prefer his eligible skates. We should find a way to give him bionic hips and send him back to eligible competition... Plushy would love it! :cool:

ciocio
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I like Lawrence of Arabia too. LoA and Gladiator are my favourite programs of Alexei. :swoon:

kia_4EverOnIce
04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I completely fall in love with figure skating (before it was *only* one of my favourites sports) thanks to MITIM, so that's my favourite :)
I agree that his eligible programs were better than the professionals ones, actually I remember seeing him alive for the first time already in 2006 and I was quite disappointed from his performance (it was wonderful, but I was expecting something more like winter or MITIM or Gladiator...I was quite naive maybe ;) )