PDA

View Full Version : Ladies 2004 worlds/ man on ice

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Marco
04-14-2011, 05:36 AM
i was there too!!! and it was the first and only time i saw michelle skate live.

How did her speed compare to Arakawa, Cohen, Ando and Suguri?

Alas it was the first time she didn't win gold or silver at Worlds since 1995.

briancoogaert
04-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I wonder if Monica Seles was watching and if she thought that it was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zir_Bj7Dw8E
I agree.
I was a bit afraid when it happened.
Michelle is such an amazing athlete. Doing what she did after the man arrived on the ice is impressive. ;)

Screenie
04-14-2011, 08:21 AM
How did her speed compare to Arakawa, Cohen, Ando and Suguri?

Alas it was the first time she didn't win gold or silver at Worlds since 1995.

what really strikes me about kwan (in-person) is her flow. she's fast, definitely -- faster than cohen and ando, probably equal to arakawa and suguri. but really it's her flow that makes it seem even faster. she has a great glide.

Kelvster
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, i saw the qualification round as well and I thought she was slow and laboured there ... the loop had been a nightmare! She was struggling with it so much in the warm up :( In fact we never saw a triple loop from her again after the LP in Dortmund.

And what a loop that was ... the entire audience was in dead silence as she began her programme (after the naked guy went). the atmosphere was just electrifying!!! can you imagine!! and even more so as she landed the first loop ....

What impressed me the most was obviously her focus & determination. She also had a commanding presence on the ice (a bit diva-ish) and her edges were clean & general basic skating / posture absolutely beautiful. Something completely lacking these days! (Dare I say it, I don't think Yu na kim / mao can compare .... :o ) ...

giselle23
04-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Michelle seemed to have ice-water in her veins after that incident. I was very impressed. She didn't skate perfectly, doubling one of her jumps late in the program, but it was a courageous effort.

Well, i saw the qualification round as well and I thought she was slow and laboured there ... the loop had been a nightmare! She was struggling with it so much in the warm up :( In fact we never saw a triple loop from her again after the LP in Dortmund.

And what a loop that was ... the entire audience was in dead silence as she began her programme (after the naked guy went). the atmosphere was just electrifying!!! can you imagine!! and even more so as she landed the first loop ....

What impressed me the most was obviously her focus & determination. She also had a commanding presence on the ice (a bit diva-ish) and her edges were clean & general basic skating / posture absolutely beautiful. Something completely lacking these days! (Dare I say it, I don't think Yu na kim / mao can compare .... :o ) ...

walei
04-15-2011, 05:59 AM
LOL @ Kwan's bitchface. Can I be the keeper of that?

skateboy
04-15-2011, 06:08 AM
No huge MK fan here, but I think she handled the situation VERY admirably. I probably would've freaked out and headed to the closest hotel bar...

VIETgrlTerifa
04-15-2011, 06:58 AM
I haven't seen Kwan's 2004 Worlds LP performance in a while, and although it really is far from her best skate (in terms of both tech. content and choreography), the intensity + anger in this performance is really something to see. Then mix it in with the streaker and the jovial mood Kwan was in afterwards, it really was "theatre."

Marco
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
I haven't seen Kwan's 2004 Worlds LP performance in a while, and although it really is far from her best skate (in terms of both tech. content and choreography), the intensity + anger in this performance is really something to see. Then mix it in with the streaker and the jovial mood Kwan was in afterwards, it really was "theatre."

She was in pain, she had a rough qualifying, she got a time deduction in the short, was out of reach for the title by the time she skated, and was interrupted by a streaker.

Gotta have anger. :lol: Lucky she was skating to Tosca and not... Lyra Angelica. Otherwise it would have been the bitchiest Swan interpretation ever.

UGG
04-15-2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zir_Bj7Dw8E

Here is the bitch face LOL.

Fozzie Bear
04-16-2011, 07:04 AM
^ What's always bothered me was how the commentators made light of what could have been a potentially dangerous situation. It's like they expected her to just laugh it off. :rolleyes:

Mafke
04-16-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm still furious at the German federation for not being more on top of the situation. Did German sporting officials not learn _anything_ from the Monica Seles incident?

It was only pure dumb luck that he was an attention wh*re and not a violent maniac.

I'm also still furious that he was let off so lightly.

skatesindreams
04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm still furious at the German federation for not being more on top of the situation. Did German sporting officials not learn _anything_ from the Monica Seles incident?

It was only pure dumb luck that he was an attention wh*re and not a violent maniac.

I'm also still furious that he was let off so lightly.

As am I!

MK handled the situation amazingly well,
Many others did not.

UGG
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I remember on another board there was a member who suggested Kwan hired the streaker because she was jealous of all the positive attention Sasha was getting at that world championships. It was the same poster who had a huge problem with Michelle's dress color of choice for her Tosca program LOL.

MikiAndoFan#1
04-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I remember on another board there was a member who suggested Kwan hired the streaker because she was jealous of all the positive attention Sasha was getting at that world championships. It was the same poster who had a huge problem with Michelle's dress color of choice for her Tosca program LOL.

:rofl: