PDA

View Full Version : Watching old tapes: today mens sp Salt Lake City 2002

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

VIETgrlTerifa
04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
But but...he has no Quad!!!! ;)

poths
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
If Abt just sacked his wife and got an actual choreographer, Russia could have had a sweep.

blue_idealist
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
But but...he has no Quad!!!! ;)

Candeloro, Buttle, Wylie, Orser, Boitano and Stojko '98 didn't either ;) (can't remember if Urmanov did or not, but I think not).

Vagabond
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Candeloro, Buttle, Wylie, Orser, Boitano and Stojko '98 didn't either ;) (can't remember if Urmanov did or not, but I think not).

Urmanov and Petrenko didn't attempt any quads at the Olympics.

Buttle had a fully rotated quad but fell on it.

gkelly
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Urmanov did two 3A's, but the combo was only a 3A+2T. The other triple jump he did twice was just a 3T (one of which was a solo jump).

Candeloro, Buttle, Wylie, Orser, Boitano and Stojko '98 didn't [have a quad] either ;) (can't remember if Urmanov did or not, but I think not).

Not in 1994 when he won. The solo 3T seems to have been a placeholder for a quad in case he had felt up to trying it. (At NHK that year he tried and fell.)

He did have one, not completely clean, at 1992 Olympics and on a few other occasions.

orbitz
04-19-2011, 10:51 PM
If Abt just sacked his wife and got an actual choreographer, Russia could have had a sweep.

Even with the fall on the quad and other mistakes ?

I think using the wifey as your choreographer is generally a bad idea, ie Weiss, Petrenko, Abt .

senorita
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I think they just meant that the previous OC were better skaters or more talented in general, or one of the best skaters in their Olympic wins, meaning that if all had skated perfect they would have still probably won their gold medal. Not that their program would be better in CoP.

Holley Calmes
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I still don't get the unpleasant attitudes towards Evan. No, he's not my favorite skater, and no, he's not the best male skater who ever lived, but he's still damned good. I know there is a faction of Plushy-lovers who hate him for obvious reasons, and I can understand that even if I don't agree. I just tend to ignore them-they're usually only interested in one organ of his body these days anyway. :lol: But otherwise? I just don't get it. Evan's not my type of male skater, but he's a tall, handsome, gifted athlete, gracious and with lovely demeanor and manners, which of course don't count as much on the ice but sure count outside of it. He's a champion with heart. I think he deserves respect. Maybe not adoration but at least respect. JMHO.

personwhoishere
04-19-2011, 11:53 PM
I still don't get the unpleasant attitudes towards Evan. No, he's not my favorite skater, and no, he's not the best male skater who ever lived, but he's still damned good. I know there is a faction of Plushy-lovers who hate him for obvious reasons, and I can understand that even if I don't agree. I just tend to ignore them-they're usually only interested in one organ of his body these days anyway. :lol: But otherwise? I just don't get it. Evan's not my type of male skater, but he's a tall, handsome, gifted athlete, gracious and with lovely demeanor and manners, which of course don't count as much on the ice but sure count outside of it. He's a champion with heart. I think he deserves respect. Maybe not adoration but at least respect. JMHO.
:respec::respec:
Thank you for this.
Anyways, back to the original topic, yes it was a fantastic competition. Men's skating definitely felt a little emptier after Yagudin retired. He sure knew how to step up and deliver when it counted.

kwanette
04-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I think it tells a lot more about the other skaters in the competition who could not beat this mediocre dead beat...

Mediocre..but why dead beat? I don't get it.

dinakt
04-20-2011, 12:12 AM

Absolutely. Thank you.
Though Evan is not my "ideal skater" ( I'd take Takahashi, Abbott, Lambiel... and I adore Yagudin), he has my great respect. Not every Olympic Champion is a trail- blazer, or Browning and Lambiel would have been Gold Medalists. So much depends on timing, on nerves, on perseverance, and well as on sheer luck at the moment. I will always admire Evan's dogged determination, and that he managed to have no weaknesses. No stunning strengths, but no glaring weaknesses, and for these Games it was enough.
The things about Yags though is that he had so many strengths:), and the excellence of 2002 is what made the Men's event so very memorable. I think it was my most emotional Olympic event ever.

SmallFairy
04-20-2011, 12:30 AM

his wife was never his choreographer, was she?
I was a Sasha-über, and can't recall she was....I thought Rafael did a lot of the choreo, if I remember correctly.

misskarne
04-20-2011, 01:17 AM
I loved Kulik's SP from 1997. Not so much the one in 1998.

Perhaps not really evident in this SP, but overall I think he was much better overall skater than Evan.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only person in the world who actually LIKED Revolutions...Faust was better, but I really thought Revolutions was a cool program. :slinkaway

I think there can be no doubt that he was better as a skater than Lysacek.

I don't "hate" Lysacek. I just think he's not a "great" skater as some people try to make him out to be. He's a good skater who got lucky in that when he reached his peak, there was not really anyone else around who was as good. He never really had to fight another skater for supremacy.

That and the one thing that bugs the everliving hell out of me about him is that he seems to think he's the only skater who works hard. :mad:

The other thing that annoys me is the fans who call Plushy a douchebag because they think he's arrogant, but think the sun shines out of Lysacek's backside. Last time I checked, Plushy had never made transphobic comments about fellow skaters...

Marco
04-20-2011, 03:04 AM
My favorite Kulik program was his 1996 Addams Family program. Wonderful.

Sparks
04-20-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't "hate" Lysacek. I just think he's not a "great" skater as some people try to make him out to be. He's a good skater who got lucky in that when he reached his peak, there was not really anyone else around who was as good. He never really had to fight another skater for supremacy.That and the one thing that bugs the everliving hell out of me about him is that he seems to think he's the only skater who works hard. :mad:

IMO, Evan wasn't just lucky. He trained damned hard...like his style or not. That medal was earned. He never claimed he was the only person who worked hard. His story is a lot like a fable: perserverance of the Ant wins over the Grasshopper....and I tend to be more like the Grasshopper. :slinkaway
Evan is not my absolute fave, but his win was totally deserved.
Re: SLC - The Men's programs were the best part. No whining and a pure win...and Yagudin was King!