PDA

View Full Version : Watching old tapes: today mens sp Salt Lake City 2002

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

skateboy
04-17-2011, 09:54 AM
lol I remember Scott saying after Yag's LP, "If he's second, he still wins the gold, if he's third, then he's third" (or something like that lolllllllllll) Wonder if he was really watching? :lol:

Does anyone know if Scott ever took back his comments later on? I mean, that has to be the stupidest commentary I ever heard out of him.

(And for the record, I enjoy much of Scott's commentary.)

SmallFairy
04-17-2011, 01:14 PM
ITA! To this day I haven't rewatched that competition . :violin::wall:

sadly, I have to agree with you on this one, I haven't re-watched neither Plushenko or Lysacek even once....zzzzzzz
but Dai I have re-watched and re-watched, same with Stephane, Schulteiss and lots of others!! so, lets look at the bright side!

(our sport has turned really strange when poor Evan is the olympic champion, he did nothing wrong, he can't help he's the kind of skater he is and he made the most out of it.... if Plush had won, it would have been even worse, I felt like he was panicking his choreo and jumps as he was desperate to win, and his programs ware never great in the first place imo.
but I also understand that when Dai sat down on his quad, he gave it away...though to me, it was overall the best long program, fall or not! to me, it's about the total package, and cop is not able to reflect that in the pcs! how Evan and Plush can score so high on the psc is beyond me!)

let`s talk
04-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes, those!!! were the days, when Men's competition was "the event", when Olympic Champions actually used to deliver Olympic Champion performances to remember ... :swoon:

:cheer2: True.

misskarne
04-17-2011, 04:39 PM
But a klutz? He wasn't the one shaky and unsure on every jump and having trouble having coherent choreography.

I can (almost) see the "klutz" thing but I'd have worded it differently. Lysacek's jump positions are UGLY. The way he folds himself into the air just looks weird. I just can't get behind his jump positions. They just look so odd. And don't say it's his height because Ilia Kulik is 5'11" and has the most beautiful jump technique around.

Oh, and by the way - he wasn't shaky and unsure on "every" jump. The only one he really shook on was the 3Lz-3T combination - I STILL, to this day, do not know how he landed the 3Lz. But land it he did, he didn't fall, and at least his choreography had passion, and didn't limp around like a cold fish.

orbitz
04-18-2011, 12:01 AM
I can (almost) see the "klutz" thing but I'd have worded it differently. Lysacek's jump positions are UGLY.

I think only Evan's 3A is unattractive. The lutz, flip, loop, and toe look fine. The sal maybe doesn't have the height of some of the others, but he's usually clean on it.

And don't say it's his height because Ilia Kulik is 5'11" and has the most beautiful jump technique around.

Is Kulik really 5'11"? He doesn't look that much taller than Katia standing next to her. Even if he is that height, Kulik does not have the long limbs and wiry body frame that Evan has; He's more compact and hence his air positions are different than Evan's.

senorita
04-18-2011, 02:54 AM
Yagudin is one of the best male skaters EVER. I don't see Lysacek's performance as inferior to Kulik's in 1998,

Kulikīs giraffe program??:eek:with the 3axel of the ages?we were watching same competition?Kulik has more charisma in his little finger than all Lori Nichol could add to Lysacekś performance (and no, celebrating at the end of the program and holding the last position for an hour -like Flat īs Eden end position also -is not artistry), can magnet the audience with just a wave. As a matter of fact at least the rest OC in your list could do that.
What is funny about 2002 commentary and 2003 seasonīs also is the commentators saying multiple times he is playing it safe, just one quad. :rollin:

SmallFairy
04-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Kulikīs giraffe program??:eek:with the 3axel of the ages?we were watching same competition?Kulik has more charisma in his little finger than all Lori Nichol could add to Lysacekś performance (and no, celebrating at the end of the program and holding the last position for an hour -like Flat īs Eden end position also -is not artistry), can magnet the audience with just a wave. As a matter of fact at least the rest OC in your list could do that.
What is funny about 2002 commentary and 2003 seasonīs also is the commentators saying multiple times he is playing it safe, just one quad. :rollin:

Great post lol oh how I loved Kuliks giraffe!!

btw Yagudin did two quads in his Olympic fs; one on it's own, and one 4,3,2
both perfect:D

Zokko!
04-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Awww, Kulik 1998, what a program was that!!! (Minus the "Giraffe" costume ... :shuffle: )

Fine presentation plus all of his elements, including the quad, seemed effortless, absolute textbook-perfect! Actually I never realized how tall he is, it wasn't a problem for him, he is- and always has been such a tremendous elegant (and creative!) skater ... :swoon:

Still remember it all, unbelievable ... since we're talkin' about the last millennium!!! :eek:

Marco
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Kulik's flow was just impressive and is yet to be topped by any male skater even to this day. (Maybe Takahashi or Kozuka?)

I find certain tall guys' jumps to be even more spectacular because of the height they get and the tightness in the air. Love Urmanov's jumps for example.

briancoogaert
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Kulik's flow was just impressive and is yet to be topped by any male skater even to this day. (Maybe Takahashi or Kozuka?)

I find certain tall guys' jumps to be even more spectacular because of the height they get and the tightness in the air. Love Urmanov's jumps for example.
Urmanov had an impressive technique. He was so light and clean. I'm not fond of his skating, but really, his jumps were beautiful.

senorita
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Great post lol oh how I loved Kuliks giraffe!!

btw Yagudin did two quads in his Olympic fs; one on it's own, and one 4,3,2
both perfect:D
I know :) Plushenko also hit two quads. Thats why I was laughing with Yagudin going safe comment..because of 3axel!

misskarne
04-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Kulik has more charisma in his little finger than all Lori Nichol could add to Lysacekś performance

If I could give reputation, I would give you SO MUCH FOR THIS.

Ilia's jumps are absolutely beautiful to this day. So light, so airy, so huge. And so effortless. He always looks like he has all the time in the world to land. But I loved more his way of moving - one of the American commentators once described it as "flying", I prefer "skimming" - just moving lightly over the surface as though it was completely solid.

I miss him. :( He needs to do more shows ;)

blue_idealist
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Say all you want, but I just don't get all the Lysacek hate.

Jammers
04-19-2011, 12:14 AM
I wish Kulik had stuck around for at least a couple more years in his eligible career. He was only 20 when he won gold and as like Scott said he hadn't even peaked yet.

misskarne
04-19-2011, 05:03 AM
Say all you want, but I just don't get all the Lysacek hate.

There was a quote in "The Incredibles" that I actually find really relevant.

"They keep finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity!"

Lysacek is not a great skater and he never will be. He is a good skater who had the good luck to be at his peak at the time when there were no greats, when quads were disappearing, when the sport was stagnating.

Plus, he has all the charisma and emotional expression of a dead fish.

I wish Kulik had stuck around for at least a couple more years in his eligible career. He was only 20 when he won gold and as like Scott said he hadn't even peaked yet.

I wish it too :(:(:(:(:( But I'm glad he's still so brilliant nowadays :cool: