PDA

View Full Version : Watching old tapes: today mens sp Salt Lake City 2002

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

gkelly
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Probably we should make a poll to see how skaters injured themselves, training jumps, step sequences, spins, etc. It would be interesting.

Yes, it would. Assuming people can pinpoint the cause of their injuries, which isn't always possible.

Would this be a poll for elite skaters -- how would we get them to respond? Or FSU posters, many of whom skate or used to skate at low, middle, or high levels, but the elite skaters who read or post here will mostly not self-identify.

Ajax
04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Ahhh, that is one of my favorite competitions ever! The memory that immediately pops to my mind is Honda's sheer exuberance while he motors through his step sequences in Don Quixote.

Vash01
04-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I saw the mens competition too (SP&LP) live in Salt Lake city. It was awesome. I dare say it was the best mens Olympic competition, because there were so many great performances.

attyfan
04-14-2011, 10:20 PM
I saw the mens competition too (SP&LP) live in Salt Lake city. It was awesome. I dare say it was the best mens Olympic competition, because there were so many great performances.

Not only many great performances, but many different types of great performances. Even watching it on TV, it seemed magical. Tim Goebel was not exactly artistic (IMO), but he had the best skate of his life (at least to that point) and it showed!

I don't think it fair to compare events; too much has changed. Lysacek deserves kudos (again IMO) because he worked on being the best he could be; it isn't his fault that he isn't Yagudin.

Macassar88
04-14-2011, 10:23 PM
That's exactly what I meant. He had that masculine style of skating, his quads were beautiful and at the same time, he was such an artist.

And besides, I didn't say they were all about jumps. Jeez, here we go again. If they want to be "more than just that", that's great. I just don't get why they become sth else instead of that. Yagudin and some others from that period showed it was possible to combine jumps with emotion and artistry.

Besides, it's not only that Lysacek didn't have any quads. If he had been an artistry and emotion master, I would have welcomed his gold over Plush's total lack of choreography. The problem is, he was neither a jumper, nor an artist. This is really not the kind of Olympic champ I wanna see after seing Yags - or even after seing Lambiel win silver in 2006.
I agree with you completely. I don't see why everyone liked Lysacek's Scheherazade so much.
And the other problem is that you have to decide whether Figure Skating should be judged from an Olympic perspective. Because then the jumps and other elements should count for all of it since they are the athletic elements of figure skating. But I think it's safe to say we all miss Yagudin.

Macassar88
04-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I forgot how great Yagudin's "Winter" is.

My favorite program of his was actually his Circus program from 1998-1999, but I love his straight line steps from Winter.
Such a pity he couldn't continue on.

Holley Calmes
04-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Yagudin was to me the greatest men's skater, ever. For so many reasons, but that's all personal to me. I'm not talking absolute here, JMO.

However-about this whole "not taking risks" subject: if you go back and watch a number of the videos of Yagudin's MITIM Olympic performance, you can hear, I think Scott Hamilton, talking about how "tentative" he is skating-not his usual "all out" style. He was making sure he made no mistakes.

Zokko!
04-14-2011, 11:55 PM
However-about this whole "not taking risks" subject: if you go back and watch a number of the videos of Yagudin's MITIM Olympic performance, you can hear, I think Scott Hamilton, talking about how "tentative" he is skating-not his usual "all out" style. He was making sure he made no mistakes. Well, Hamilton "stated" a lot of things throughout the entire skating competitions in SLC :blah: ... :D ;)

Holley Calmes
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
You don't think Yagudin skated more carefully in the Olympic LP? I'm no big fan of Scott Hamilton, but it made sense to me.

Jammers
04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Scott didn't know the hell he was talking about that night. He made it seem like Yagudin left the door open for Plushenko with his performance in the LP. :confused:

SmallFairy
04-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Scott didn't know the hell he was talking about that night. He made it seem like Yagudin left the door open for Plushenko with his performance in the LP. :confused:

Scott even made it seem like Yagudin left door open for Timothy!:rofl:

"Will it beat Timothy Goebel??" LOL I think I'm dying... shut the f''' up you idiot, you're making a complete and utter fool of yourself!
Ok, that was the free skate, but I will watch that tape soon too! Did those 6.0s shut him up?

I have no further comment on Scott Hamilton what so ever!!

SVT did great commentary in the sp though. They (Roger Blomquist) thought the Finnish judge could resign, after being out of line several times. (I think she was the one who placed Davydov ahead of Weiss:D. Had to love her a little bit for that though.)

Generally, SVT are good at speaking their mind, though Blomquist went bananas when Todd landed his 4t2t, and totally missed the 2t. Blomquist didn't care, he raved on and on about Todd landing a quad, and Lotta Falckenbäck had to tell him to stay objective.
I know a lot of people don't like Blomquist, I find him refreshing, though sometimes he's totally confused and talks nonsense too! Good thing we have Lotta there!
(also, I'm pretty sure Roger Blomquist has a secret crush on Todd Eldredge. He would never stop swooning about him!)

DickButtonFan
04-15-2011, 01:36 AM
lol I remember Scott saying after Yag's LP, "If he's second, he still wins the gold, if he's third, then he's third" (or something like that lolllllllllll) Wonder if he was really watching? :lol:

gkelly
04-15-2011, 03:55 AM
lol I remember Scott saying after Yag's LP, "If he's second, he still wins the gold, if he's third, then he's third" (or something like that lolllllllllll) Wonder if he was really watching? :lol:

Maybe he was watching and just counting jumps because that's his favorite part of men's skating.

Marco
04-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Going for broke is different to taking risks. Everyone takes risks.

Quad or no quad: Yagudin didn't go for broke in 2002 (no 2nd 3axel and no 2nd combo). Plushenko didn't go for broke in 2006. Lysacek didn't go for broke in 2010. In Lysacek's case though, he was lucky because the leader underperformed and his 'technically reserved' skate was sufficient for gold.

Kulik and Lipinski went for broke in 1998. Hughes went for broke in 2002.

shine
04-15-2011, 07:42 AM
But they were so much more than that. Have you seen any Yagudin programs after he went to Tarasova?
Uh, yes. I have seen Yagudin's programs after he went to Tarasova. I was a big fan of his when he competed. But mia joy was not only talking about Yagudin. She was referring to that entire generation of male skaters and about how much more "manly" they were and how much they were challenging each other, simply because, well, they were attempting and landing more quads. That, is what I don't agree with.