PDA

View Full Version : Watching old tapes: today mens sp Salt Lake City 2002

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Dancin' Dream
04-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Evan only did his best; it isn't his fault that Dai was underscored.If this was his "best" I'm glad I've never watched his worst! :scream:

senorita
04-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I think Plushenko would still have complained, haha.
haha, conciderin what he has expressed about him before and after Vancouver , no way would he complaint about Taka beatin him as well as the 99% of the board.
And neither for Lambiel for sure:)

misskarne
04-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I often wonder if any other skater had won without a quad if there would be this much drama about the whole thing.

I think the drama is more about the fact that Lysacek is mediocre at best. There would have been less drama had, say, Takahashi or Lambiel won, because they're elegant, dramatic skaters who also happen to be technically excellent.

Right, not many people would've complained if, let's say, Takahashi would've won without a quad. And I don't think it's so hard to guess why! :shuffle:

Please tell. And had Takahashi completed a gold performance, he would have had one. The reason he got bronze was because he fell.

I think Plushenko would still have complained, haha.

No, because Plushenko actually has a certain amount of respect for Takahashi - he has said as much that he wouldn't have minded losing to Takahashi. He respects Daisuke because he takes risks and goes after the hard elements.

If this was his "best" I'm glad I've never watched his worst! :scream:

As I have said before - Lysacek's best was only 1.21 points better than Plushenko's worst. That doesn't say much for Lysacek.

SmallFairy
04-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't hate Evan.

I don't hate Plushy.

Their skating doesn't appeal to me, I don't like them, for different reason, and I prefer to watch someone else.

I don't watch Dai, and then hate Evan. But I do LOVE Dai!!
He's the first skater since Yagudin who have made me gush like I wanna cry.
He has so many qualities Evan doesn't have, still, I don't hate Evan, even though I haven't watched his olympic fs since the competition, and I have watched Dai like a zillion times.

Yes, he fell. That was one element. To me, all his other elements, and not to mention his PSC, were superior to Evan, and Plush. JMO! His overall appearence and passion was to die for!! Thank heavens he was world champion a month later!!

ZuZu
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
I think the drama is more about the fact that Lysacek is mediocre at best. There would have been less drama had, say, Takahashi or Lambiel won, because they're elegant, dramatic skaters who also happen to be technically excellent.

---

Please tell. And had Takahashi completed a gold performance, he would have had one. The reason he got bronze was because he fell.Misunderstood again? My English doesn't seem well. :slinkaway

OK- I'll try again, actually we're not that far away from each other, opinion-wise. All I've said was, that it wouldn't have been such an uproar, that it would've been a lot easier for most people here to accept/*forgive*/even LOVE! a quadless Olympic Champion Daisuke Takahashi (assuming he didn't try and fall) because of all the exquisite features he's got, in opposite to mediocre, non-charismatic and quadless Lysacek.

kwanette
04-23-2011, 10:48 AM
As I have said before - Lysacek's best was only 1.21 points better than Plushenko's worst. That doesn't say much for Lysacek.

IMHO, it doesn't say much for the judges.

misskarne
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Misunderstood again? My English doesn't seem well. :slinkaway

OK- I'll try again, actually we're not that far away from each other, opinion-wise. All I've said was, that it wouldn't have been such an uproar, that it would've been a lot easier for most people here to accept/*forgive*/even LOVE! a quadless Olympic Champion Daisuke Takahashi (assuming he didn't try and fall) because of all the exquisite features he's got, in opposite to mediocre, non-charismatic and quadless Lysacek.

Ah, excellent. I was hoping we were on the same page. I agree wholeheartedly with your explanation. And hope that Daisuke lands his quad flip soon ;)

IMHO, it doesn't say much for the judges.

No, it just doesn't say much for Lysacek's skating. Plushenko was under-scored in the SP and came out ahead by 1.6 points (I think). That was supposedly the SP of Lysacek's life. The LP of Lysacek's life was then ranked only JUST above the one of the worst LPs Plushenko has ever delivered. The net was that Lysacek won by the barest of margins.

kwanette
04-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Ah, excellent. I was hoping we were on the same page. I agree wholeheartedly with your explanation. And hope that Daisuke lands his quad flip soon ;)

No, it just doesn't say much for Lysacek's skating. Plushenko was under-scored in the SP and came out ahead by 1.6 points (I think). That was supposedly the SP of Lysacek's life. The LP of Lysacek's life was then ranked only JUST above the one of the worst LPs Plushenko has ever delivered. The net was that Lysacek won by the barest of margins.

Who said that Plushenko was undercored in the sp?

Someone earlier in the thread descibed Evan as having "dogged determination"..He had been a man on a mission since Torino. Each yr he added a jump after the half-way point. He's been accused of being a point grabber or a point "whore", but isn't that the name of the game?

I could name 5 or more skaters whom I prefer to Evan..Chan, Dai, Johnny, Taka, Lambiel..but by the rules in place, Evan won, fair and square.

misskarne
04-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Who said that Plushenko was undercored in the sp?

He scored higher at Euros for the same SP with a slightly worse performance. His performance of the SP in Vancouver was stunning. How is it possible that his score should be lower...:rolleyes:

Triple Butz
04-24-2011, 08:06 AM
I don't hate Evan.

I don't hate Plushy.

Their skating doesn't appeal to me, I don't like them, for different reason, and I prefer to watch someone else.

I don't watch Dai, and then hate Evan. But I do LOVE Dai!!
He's the first skater since Yagudin who have made me gush like I wanna cry.
He has so many qualities Evan doesn't have, still, I don't hate Evan, even though I haven't watched his olympic fs since the competition, and I have watched Dai like a zillion times.

Yes, he fell. That was one element. To me, all his other elements, and not to mention his PSC, were superior to Evan, and Plush. JMO! His overall appearence and passion was to die for!! Thank heavens he was world champion a month later!!

I feel the same way. I thought Takahashi was the best skater at the games, and I don't know how Plushenko or Lysacek were even close to him, especially in the short program where he was in a different league than both of them.

kwanette
04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
He scored higher at Euros for the same SP with a slightly worse performance. His performance of the SP in Vancouver was stunning. How is it possible that his score should be lower...:rolleyes:

Were the judges the same? Had the Joe Inman e-mail been read? Maybe he was overscored at Euros.

misskarne
04-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Were the judges the same? Had the Joe Inman e-mail been read? Maybe he was overscored at Euros.

I still do not understand how people can defend the Inman email...there was only one intention behind that and it was to make sure Plushenko would not win in Vancouver. It is reprehensible behavior.

briancoogaert
04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
It's not the same competition, and it's not even the same kind of field. How can you compare scores from Euros (with european skaters only) and from the Olympics (with european, US and asian skaters) ? There is still a place for subjective judgement in this judging system. ;)

icenut84
04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
The LP of Lysacek's life was then ranked only JUST above the one of the worst LPs Plushenko has ever delivered. The net was that Lysacek won by the barest of margins.

One of the worst LPs Plushenko has ever delivered? Don't you think that's a bit OTT? He landed a quad and seven triples, two of them 3axels, plus all his non-jump elements were either level 3 or 4. One or two iffy landings is all he did wrong. Whether you like the programme/his style or not, it was actually a very good performance technically.

kwanette
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I still do not understand how people can defend the Inman email...there was only one intention behind that and it was to make sure Plushenko would not win in Vancouver. It is reprehensible behavior.

I'm not defending Inman's e-mail, just mentioning it.