PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Skittl1321
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
My experience with adult competitive skating is that it is heavily skewed to the plus 40 age group. Most people in their 20's and 30's are busy with college, establishing careers, haviing children etc. They don't have the time or money for competitive skating (I didn't). Plus, they just want to do something different for awhile. I think coming back to skating after a 20 year break is not unusual at all.

US Adult nationals this year seemed to have quite a few young adults skating in the high level events. I was surprised, because I didn't think it was typical for 20-somethings to be in the championship events. In ladies, a 23 y/o won junior/senior, and a 24 y/o won intermediate/novice. In men, a 25 y/o won junior/senior, the men's intermediate/novice winner's age isn't listed in the icenetwork article, but it mentions the 54 year old bronze medalist "in the company of signifigantly younger" and names the silver-gold medalists.

I wonder if this trend will be discouraging to older master levels skaters. (But Master's has age divided levels still right? It's just championship where everyone is all mixed together? I'm not too sure.)

manleywoman
04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
^ I don't think so. We've been trying for years to get the younger demographic interested. I'm glad they are finally showing up in larger numbers!

(though I did hear from a fellow competitor friend of mine who competed at ANs last week that the younger girls seem to . . . as a group . . . have no on-ice etiquette, and regularly were getting in the way of those skaters running programs with an obvious orange belt on, or cutting people off. Interesting.)

briancoogaert
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I know some adult skaters who will enter the competition. Midori will beat them, easily :P

overedge
04-20-2011, 07:38 PM
(though I did hear from a fellow competitor friend of mine who competed at ANs last week that the younger girls seem to . . . as a group . . . have no on-ice etiquette, and regularly were getting in the way of those skaters running programs with an obvious orange belt on, or cutting people off. Interesting.)

FWIW I have seen this a lot too, with younger adult skaters who are just getting into adult competition. Once they figure out that adult skating is fun and supportive, and you don't have to be a beeyotch to your competitors, they dial it down. And most of them end up appreciating the more relaxed atmosphere and enjoying it a lot more.

I do know one or two, though, where someone had to have a sit-down with them and tell them to knock it off and that being a beeyotch was not looked upon kindly in the adult skating world.

Stormy
04-20-2011, 08:20 PM
FWIW I have seen this a lot too, with younger adult skaters who are just getting into adult competition. Once they figure out that adult skating is fun and supportive, and you don't have to be a beeyotch to your competitors, they dial it down. And most of them end up appreciating the more relaxed atmosphere and enjoying it a lot more.

I do know one or two, though, where someone had to have a sit-down with them and tell them to knock it off and that being a beeyotch was not looked upon kindly in the adult skating world.

I certainly didn't witness ANYONE being a beeyotch (as you so nicely put it). And not for nothing, but my friend and I actually had more trouble with lower level skaters not yielding or moving while programs were on. Some of the sessions were crowded but I didn't witness any bad behavior at all from the younger new AN competitors.

antmanb
04-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Some of adult ice princesses are often worse than the child ones!

I've been at adult skating camps where one particular adult ice princess starts trying to take over from the renowned coach trying to teach the adults because after all, she must know everything, she assists with learn to skate classes :rolleyes:

YukiNieve
05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Here's the entry list and Midori's name is there (Master's Elite, Ladies II and III, Free Skate).

http://www.deu-event.de/results/adult2011/Entrylist.pdf

oubik
05-16-2011, 01:55 PM
According to the Facebook page of the U.S. Adult Skating Committee, Midori Ito has entered the 2011 ISU Adult Competition in Oberstdorf! :eek: The competition will be taking place June 8-11.

With 3Axel or without? :kickass:

Ozzisk8tr
05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I really hope people accept Midori the way she is now, with whatever items she has, and embrace her. She is such a legend I personally would pay just to see her skate around the ice and do pretty arm movements. I'm dreading some of the reports saying how she didn't do such and such and isn't what she used to be. Midori thankyou for gracing the ice again. I don't care if you fall on your ass three times in your program. You'll always be a winner to me.

skatesindreams
05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Ozzisk8tr,

entire post :respec:

flutzilla1
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM

This happened to me at the last AN I went to - I had on the aformentioned belt and was running through my program when I got plowed into and knocked over -- hard -- by someone in the 'I' division of my level. She neither apologized afterwards nor asked if I was ok, despite the fact that I made sure she was alright before she skated off. :mad:

floskate
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
ITA Ozziesk8r.

I don't care what she does at this competition; what's important to me is that she's out there skating and sharing her joy in what she does. The most attractive thing about her skating over the last 30 odd years is the sheer joy she showed out on the ice. Yes her jumps were out of this world, yes she was light years ahead of her time, yes she was truly one of the greatest skaters to ever live etc etc, but it is that joy in her skating that will always be my abiding memory of her, and the thing that gets to me the most when I (frequently) rewatch her programs.

But as we all know, she has gone through times when she didn't love skating; 1991-92 carrying the pressures of a nation, the ill-fated comeback in 1996 and her virtual disappearance from skating of any kind in 2002 until she re-emerged at Junior Worlds to support Mao in 2005. I couldn't give a damn what she does or where she places at this competition. What's important to me as a lifelong fan of Ito, is that she is enjoying her skating again and just wants to get out there. Her legend and her place in history are assured. Let her be happy and do what she will and not criticise if she's not out there doing triple axels and 3-3's. She IS nearly 42 after all!!

leafygreens
05-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Masters Elite Ladies II and III Free Skating
01 CALNAN Jan CAN
02 ITO Midori JPN
03 SHABY Natalie USA

There's only three skaters in her group, so all of them will have the chance to be "on the podium with Midori." Pretty cool.

manleywoman
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I couldn't give a damn what she does or where she places at this competition. What's important to me as a lifelong fan of Ito, is that she is enjoying her skating again and just wants to get out there. Her legend and her place in history are assured. Let her be happy and do what she will and not criticise if she's not out there doing triple axels and 3-3's. She IS nearly 42 after all!!

:respec:

Doubletoe
05-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I know some adult skaters who will enter the competition. Midori will beat them, easily :P

And you know this because you have been watching Midori's practices? If so, what jumps is Midori landing these days, and with what consistency?