PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

aliceanne
04-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Or more. We have a triple gold medalist in our club (sr dance, figures, FS), but she's now in her 40s and did all that in her teens. She's fairly hamstrung if she wants to be "competitive," but I keep telling her to just compete and not worry about the results. In spite of injuries and the stiffness that creeps upon you with age, her skating skills are MARVELOUS. Unfortunately USFS has no "can I petition down because so much time has passed?" option. ISI does have some sort of option to petition downward due to age or medical conditions, but then ISI isn't the "elite" organization that USFS is.

Anyway, on topic: YAY for Midori!! I think it would be splendid if more former elites returned to the sport. It is supposed to be FUN, after all, no matter your age.

Couldn't the triple gold medalist do an interpretive event? I've been told that they really do judge you on choreo and expression of the music, not the difficulty of the elements you select.

As far as more former elites returning USFSA is definitely encouraging it, and at least the Canadians seem to be favorably inclined. Go for it Midori!

nubka
04-14-2011, 04:33 PM
What exciting news! I wanna see this competition...

LilJen
04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Couldn't the triple gold medalist do an interpretive event? I've been told that they really do judge you on choreo and expression of the music, not the difficulty of the elements you select.

As far as more former elites returning USFSA is definitely encouraging it, and at least the Canadians seem to be favorably inclined. Go for it Midori!

Yep, this is what she did in a recent local competition. Although it's tough for her to lay off of things that used to be easy (exhibit A: Layback spins. Not good for a 40something back).

gkelly
04-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Although it's tough for her to lay off of things that used to be easy (exhibit A: Layback spins. Not good for a 40something back).

I think it depends on the back. Different people age differently.

I'm nearly 50 and layback is still one of my favorite moves -- and one I hadn't mastered as a teenager. I don't do extreme flexibility, but enough. In my case sitspins are more of a problem.

But that's the thing about adult skating. Everyone has different limitations, and different skills based on when they first started skating (both age and rules at the time) and how far they got, and what has happened to their bodies through the normal wear and tear of everyday life in addition to skating.

manleywoman
04-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I had a fantastic layback. Then I gave birth. Not so much now. :(

essence_of_soy
04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I had a fantastic layback. Then I gave birth. Not so much now. :(

Give me an epidural, and I could probably do a Biellmann.

Taso
04-15-2011, 03:03 AM

:rofl:

AragornElessar
04-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Good for Midori!!

I remember the look on her face in the Kiss and Cry after her LP at Edmonton Worlds in 96 and she just looked so heartsick and defeated. I honestly thought that would be it for her and I wouldn't have blamed her either. So happy to know Midori's still skating and going to give this a go.

I never got the privledge of watching her live, but that spunk and sparkle just beamed off the TV. Hope we get a chance to see this somehow. :)

skateboy
04-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Especially because you'd still be taller, even if you were the bronze medalist!:lol:

I plan to compete against her, with my awesome single axels and incomparable choreography. Oh wait... she's in the ladies' event. Oh crap...

So happy to hear she's competing again!

Sk8Kate
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Or more. We have a triple gold medalist in our club (sr dance, figures, FS), but she's now in her 40s and did all that in her teens. She's fairly hamstrung if she wants to be "competitive," but I keep telling her to just compete and not worry about the results. In spite of injuries and the stiffness that creeps upon you with age, her skating skills are MARVELOUS. Unfortunately USFS has no "can I petition down because so much time has passed?" option.

I have this same issue - I passed my Senior tests and had triple jumps back in the day. Now, with a career and a life outside of the rink, there's no way I could be competitive at a Masters Gold level, so it's unlikely I'll ever compete. If I could "skate down" I'd be much more likely to participate in AN's since I wouldn't feel so outclassed. It's not about the results, of course, but I would feel quite foolish to be grouped with skaters I can't keep up with.

Anyway, on topic: YAY for Midori!! I think it would be splendid if more former elites returned to the sport. It is supposed to be FUN, after all, no matter your age.

More power to Midori! As I get older myself, I have so much more respect for adult skaters. I hope she's able to bring positive attention to adult skating, and that she can skate FOR HERSELF and enjoy it without Olympic-style pressure. Whether she can jump anymore or not, I am sure she'd still be incredible to watch.

manleywoman
04-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I have this same issue - I passed my Senior tests and had triple jumps back in the day. Now, with a career and a life outside of the rink, there's no way I could be competitive at a Masters Gold level, so it's unlikely I'll ever compete. If I could "skate down" I'd be much more likely to participate in AN's since I wouldn't feel so outclassed. It's not about the results, of course, but I would feel quite foolish to be grouped with skaters I can't keep up with.

No lady at ANs has landed a triple yet, and only a very few have tried. You'd probably be extremely competitive. :)

aliceanne
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
My experience with adult competitive skating is that it is heavily skewed to the plus 40 age group. Most people in their 20's and 30's are busy with college, establishing careers, haviing children etc. They don't have the time or money for competitive skating (I didn't). Plus, they just want to do something different for awhile. I think coming back to skating after a 20 year break is not unusual at all.

Sk8Kate
04-15-2011, 08:06 PM
No lady at ANs has landed a triple yet, and only a very few have tried. You'd probably be extremely competitive. :)

Oh, it's been many years since I've jumped like that! These days, I'm very lucky to land more than one double. :-)

manleywoman
04-15-2011, 09:05 PM
My experience with adult competitive skating is that it is heavily skewed to the plus 40 age group. Most people in their 20's and 30's are busy with college, establishing careers, haviing children etc. They don't have the time or money for competitive skating (I didn't). Plus, they just want to do something different for awhile. I think coming back to skating after a 20 year break is not unusual at all.

You are correct.

victoriajh
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM

OMG that is HILAriOUS! i wish I could repp you for that!! :lol::lol: