PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

aliceanne
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm remembering too that there was a former international medalist at pairs (Canadian) who actually got sponsorship to go to adult worlds in Oberstdorf. If money gets involved this could open up a whole new direction for professional skating.

I think right now so few adults go (at least in the U.S.) that you don't have to qualify, just sign up.

overedge
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I think right now so few adults go (at least in the U.S.) that you don't have to qualify, just sign up.

That's right, but there are also a significant number of adult skaters who would like to keep it that way, so that it's an event that's accessible to all skill levels.

aliceanne
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
That's right, but there are also a significant number of adult skaters who would like to keep it that way, so that it's an event that's accessible to all skill levels.

It would be nice to see professional opportunites grow with masters competition but I would hate to see it squeeze out the recreational competition for adults. It seems like that is what has happened to the kids. USFSA competition is so expensive that most kids do the whole route, testing, private coaching, freestyle sessions, maintaining Olympic eligibility, or they just quit. There is ISI and synchro, but a lot of coaches (in my area) are reluctant to participate.

victoriajh
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I didn't knew that former "international" skaters had the right to take part in the ISU Adult circuit?

we are equal opportunists in adult skating- it is not about earning the opportunity to come it is about WANTING to be there- :) lloyd eisler was registered last year in us adult comps ( but did not compete due to injury) and one year we had a few former senior level skaters at canadaian adult nationals!! fun to watch!

orbitz
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
we are equal opportunists in adult skating- it is not about earning the opportunity to come it is about WANTING to be there-

Then we should never hear any complaints about sandbagging at AN, right ? ;)

blue_idealist
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Does anybody know the story on the Japan documentary that forced Midori Ito to lie about something? I found that on youtube, but I couldn't understand any of it as I don't understand any Japanese. I also couldn't find any good non-Japanese articles on what happened, so if anyone has any info, please tell because I'm really curious now.

MacMadame
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Not exactly.

There are two types of competitions at AN. Most of the events are open. You sign up if you are interested and meet the testing requirements for a particular event.

Then there are the Championship events. These are ones that you must qualify for via your placement at Adult Sectionals. You can't just sign up and compete at them at AN. These events are open to anyone who meets the testing criteria including ones who would qualify for a Master event because of having skated as a kid.

The Masters events are new. I'm not sure if they are also qualifying events or if they are like the open events that anyone can enter. I'm sure someone here knows though.

manleywoman
04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
The Masters events are new. I'm not sure if they are also qualifying events or if they are like the open events that anyone can enter. I'm sure someone here knows though.

Do you mean Masters at the ISU event or Masters at Adult Nationals?

MacMadame
04-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Do you mean Masters at the ISU event or Masters at Adult Nationals?

I was talking about AN.

aliceanne
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Not exactly.

There are two types of competitions at AN. Most of the events are open. You sign up if you are interested and meet the testing requirements for a particular event.

Then there are the Championship events. These are ones that you must qualify for via your placement at Adult Sectionals. You can't just sign up and compete at them at AN. These events are open to anyone who meets the testing criteria including ones who would qualify for a Master event because of having skated as a kid.

I was referring to the World Championships in Oberstdorf. Do you have to qualify for that? Most of the skaters that I know who have gone to U.S. Adult Nationals or to Worlds did the bronze or silver freestyle or they enter interpretive events. I didn't think they had to qualify, but I have been seeing "adult sectionals" advertised...

The only masters I have ever known were college students, does that overlap with collegiate championships?

Whew skating is complicated!

overedge
04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I was referring to the World Championships in Oberstdorf. Do you have to qualify for that? Most of the skaters that I know who have gone to U.S. Adult Nationals or to Worlds did the bronze or silver freestyle or they enter interpretive events. I didn't think they had to qualify, but I have been seeing "adult sectionals" advertised...

The qualifying events are for US Adult Nationals. Other than writing a cheque that doesn't bounce, you don't have to qualify for the Oberstdorf event. And technically it is the ISU international adult event, not Adult World Championships.

manleywoman
04-14-2011, 12:56 AM
The only masters I have ever known were college students, does that overlap with collegiate championships?

It used to. There was one year where a skater competed in both Collegiates and Adult Sectionals in one year. That loophole was closed.

The Masters event has always been in ANs, but it was recently split by levels. It used to be that anyone who had passed Intermediate/Novice/Junior/Senior tests were all lumped together in "Masters" because there just weren't enough Adult skaters to separate them out into the four groups. Now it's been split into Masters Intermediate/Novice and Masters Junior/Senior, because the numbers are there to support it. :)

There is still a loophole that a person who has passed the Novice Free Test can compete in Championship Intermediate/Novice at Sectionals (ie: the Qualifying event), but compete up to Junior in the Non-Qualifying event. And a person who has passed no higher than the Junior Free Test can skate down in the Championship Intermediate/Novice event. Personally I think the loophole should stay, since for right now as we all age, I think it's nice to provide a way for skaters to skate more to their comfort level, and not what they passed on a test they may have taken 20 years ago.

LilJen
04-14-2011, 01:09 AM
It used to. There was one year where a skater competed in both Collegiates and Adult Sectionals in one year. That loophole was closed.

The Masters event has always been in ANs, but it was recently split by levels. It used to be that anyone who had passed Intermediate/Novice/Junior/Senior tests were all lumped together in "Masters" because there just weren't enough Adult skaters to separate them out into the four groups. Now it's been split into Masters Intermediate/Novice and Masters Junior/Senior, because the numbers are there to support it. :)

There is still a loophole that a person who has passed the Novice Free Test can compete in Championship Intermediate/Novice at Sectionals (ie: the Qualifying event), but compete up to Junior in the Non-Qualifying event. And a person who has passed no higher than the Junior Free Test can skate down in the Championship Intermediate/Novice event. Personally I think the loophole should stay, since for right now as we all age, I think it's nice to provide a way for skaters to skate more to their comfort level, and not what they passed on a test they may have taken 20 years ago.

Or more. We have a triple gold medalist in our club (sr dance, figures, FS), but she's now in her 40s and did all that in her teens. She's fairly hamstrung if she wants to be "competitive," but I keep telling her to just compete and not worry about the results. In spite of injuries and the stiffness that creeps upon you with age, her skating skills are MARVELOUS. Unfortunately USFS has no "can I petition down because so much time has passed?" option. ISI does have some sort of option to petition downward due to age or medical conditions, but then ISI isn't the "elite" organization that USFS is.

Anyway, on topic: YAY for Midori!! I think it would be splendid if more former elites returned to the sport. It is supposed to be FUN, after all, no matter your age.

Skittl1321
04-14-2011, 02:45 AM
I was referring to the World Championships in Oberstdorf.

It's not technically Worlds or a Championship... though many skaters will say they went to World's. I think using either of these two terms is misleading- because as has been explained, you don't qualify for it...it's an open competition (and I think you actually can just pick what level you want to skate at on an "honor policy")

I think it's just called the "International Adult Skating Competition" which has a very different connotation than World's.

Here is the announcement:http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-203264-220487-168338-0-file,00.pdf

(ETA: oops, didn't read all of overedge's post... that it's not a championship was covered. I recall in the past message board fight's over people calling themselves "World Medalists")

MacMadame
04-14-2011, 07:18 AM
The Masters event has always been in ANs,

In some disciplines, but having it for ice dance is recent (and I'm not sure it stuck as my friends haven't been talking about it recently).