PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20

Aussie Willy
07-04-2011, 02:02 AM
She just seems so happy to be there. I hope more former elite skaters can use these competitions to rediscover their love of.competing
I think that is what is about - the love of the sport.

MR-FAN
07-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Midori's reaction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlD6cbyv7zE&feature=player_detailpage#t=206s) in the K&C and after seeing the result :). Love her!

Awwwww!!! LOVE HER!!!!!

Legend.

allezfred
07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
This sounds like publicity on the part of whomever is planning this competition. I'd be willing to bet money the real Midori Ito (or probably *any* Midori Ito) won't be present. But, I'm also willing to bet entries will be up from the news alone, even if it's not confirmed.

I bet you a million dollars Midori Ito will show up. :saint:

coskater
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
It was very nice to see Midori skate, on several practices she tried 3toes and just stepped out, she was lovely to watch and I don't think her goal was to win, she really seemed to enjoy the event and I would guess that she will return next year. Her program was only 2:40 and she did leave out some elements but that's her choice, maybe she was shooting for the goal of doing a clean program and hitting a certain score.

In the past we have seen many of the masters skaters do fewer than the required number of elements, especially the men. They will front load the program with a triple attempt and double axel and then do the steps and spins, mind you they are still nice programs and score well.

This is an ADULT event, we aren't penalized for not doing the maximum number of jumps, if we forget a combo it is added with +seq. We can skate to the max time and do the jumps we want and the spins we want, if we add extra they don't count, if we don't do enough we lose the box.

Regarding people who claim this is an "Adult World Championship" I will remind them that it is an open event, where you pick your own level. The title of the event is the ISU International Adult Figure Skating Competition 2011, nowhere do you see the word, world or championship. That said, it is a lovely event and a growing event and if you are over the age of 27 as of 7/1/2011 save your pennies and go if you can.

If more elite skaters want to show up I'd encourage them, the crowd is cheerful, we cheer each other on and you make good friends! :eek:

caseyedwards
10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/611-midori-ito-returns-to-competition

I didn't remember seeing this before now

“At the victory ceremony everyone was telling me that I needed to do more elements (to win). I saw the difficult elements the other skaters did, but for me, having fun was the most important part and the result doesn’t matter. I saw a lot of people who were just enjoying skating and that gave me a lot of energy.”

Artifice
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/611-midori-ito-returns-to-competition

I didn't remember seeing this before now

“At the victory ceremony everyone was telling me that I needed to do more elements (to win). I saw the difficult elements the other skaters did, but for me, having fun was the most important part and the result doesn’t matter. I saw a lot of people who were just enjoying skating and that gave me a lot of energy.”

Thanks for the link.
That is very interesting. Midori Ito looks like she is the regular adult skater, new in the IJS, she is just learning the rules and try to use them. It's very refreshing and shows that this fantastic champion is actually like other skaters, especially adults, who are many of returning skaters.
As for the result she got in Germany, I bet she didn't realize that it was a real competition and in order to win she needed some content. Not winning probably didn't feel comfortable for her, and this is natural. She thought she could show up, do a double axel, and win. But the lack of elements cost her. She said skaters are there for fun. Yes of course they are here because they like it, but they are here also because they want to perform and get a good result. (If skaters were there only to have fun we wouldn't see gold level skaters in the silver category, nor silver level skaters in the bronze category, neither would we see silver level skaters in the master category - in order to compete against fewer skaters and make a podium with 3 competitors ! - and neither would we see skaters crying after a so so performance).
That is to show that for some people the cup and podium is more important than their own personal performance.

I bet the next time Midori comes to Germany she will have a program with the right content in order to win points.

Hedwig
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
bullshit - I was there and saw her. She was just delighted to be skating again and she didn't go there to win.
This is one of the very few cases where I believe someone when they say that they just wanted to have fun at a competition.

And she clearly didn't think obnoxiously that she just had to show up and do a double axel and win.

Her reaction to her skate and to Jan's skate was prizeless and awe-inspiring and just too cute for words. There is no need to put her down this way.

Most skaters there take the competition very very seriously, no doubt about that. But that is a different case.

Artifice
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
bullshit - I was there and saw her. She was just delighted to be skating again and she didn't go there to win.
It's possible, I can admit that. Maybe I didn't explain well my thoughts. I just wanted to say that as a competitor she probably thought she could win, even if it was not her first goal. She didn't know what to expect coming to Germany and she probably didn't realize that competitors did their programs very seriously with the goal to maximize points.
We will see how she shows up next time and with what content.

This is one of the very few cases where I believe someone when they say that they just wanted to have fun at a competition.
Ok, maybe one of the few cases indeed.

There is no need to put her down this way.
There you missinterpred my post. I don't put her down in any way. I actually spoke about a "fantastic champion". It's not putting her down ! However she is human and has the right to feel like a human being. It's not insulting in any way to think that someone can expect to win.

Most skaters there take the competition very very seriously, no doubt about that. But that is a different case.

Yes, it may be a different case for Midori Ito, who knows. She obviously loved being there. But one can love doing something and at the same time expect a result. And again, it's not a downgrade in any way, just a normal feeling of a human being. Midori is not an extraterrian ! She has the right to have mixed feelings and "hide" some of them.
By the way we are not in her head. What she said was actually very gracious, and we can't prentend knowing what are her real feelings. I should probably not have put that she could feel like any other one.

Hedwig
10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
thanks for your explanation! I obviously misunderstood some of your thoughts before! Sorry about that!

Aussie Willy
10-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Ok, maybe one of the few cases indeed.

Most adult skaters just get out there to do their personal best and challenge themselves. Very few I know actually think it is about winning. They appreciate the camraderie and support they find amongst other adult skaters and that is why they do it.

People I know who have gone to competitions like Obdersdorf come away remembering the experience, not just the competition, even though that is the reason they go.

We are holding an international adult event here in Melbourne next year so it would be great to see people from all over the world come to our event.

Artifice
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Most adult skaters ...

It's your personal assumption. "Many" would have been more appropriate because as long as one didn't make any global statistic about the entire field of adult skaters (and not only about the few friends around someone) one can't conclude for everyone.
But many skaters also go there to have good ranking. One shouldn't hide the reality that many skaters do competitions because they primarly want to make a podium or win. The self challenging part is not always the main goal for some (a lot actually and unfortunately) skaters.
One just have to see that many skaters enter lower category than their level. If they do so it's because they want to face an easier field in order to get a good ranking. If they were there only to challenge themselves and perform, then they would enter the category where they could demonstrate everything they can do. Other than that many skaters actually show easy programs (for them) in a lower category in order to win. Examples are easy to find.
This is also a reality.
Expecting to win is something that should be admitted, because this is a human feeling, it's not a shame. The only thing is that one should expect and enjoy a win that is only really deserved. Winning easely in a lower level field is not a win IMO.

Aussie Willy
10-19-2011, 11:51 AM
It's your personal assumption. "Many" would have been more appropriate because as long as one didn't make any global statistic about the entire field of adult skaters (and not only about the few friends around someone) one can't conclude for everyone.
But many skaters also go there to have good ranking. One shouldn't hide the reality that many skaters do competitions because they primarly want to make a podium or win. The self challenging part is not always the main goal for some (a lot actually and unfortunately) skaters.
One just have to see that many skaters enter lower category than their level. If they do so it's because they want to face an easier field in order to get a good ranking. If they were there only to challenge themselves and perform, then they would enter the category where they could demonstrate everything they can do. Other than that many skaters actually show easy programs (for them) in a lower category in order to win. Examples are easy to find.
This is also a reality.
Expecting to win is something that should be admitted, because this is a human feeling, it's not a shame. The only thing is that one should expect and enjoy a win that is only really deserved. Winning easely in a lower level field is not a win IMO.
Sorry but now you are being rude to be so dismissive of my post on this.

And it is not my personal assumption. Being an adult skater myself who occaisionally competes and also judges, MOST adult skaters I do know are trying to just achieve personal bests. If they win then that is the cherry on top of their hard work.

However also as a judge I have dealt with a few adult skaters who are pains in the butt when it comes to competition, including directly accusing judges of cheating. Thankfully they have been in the minority.

antmanb
10-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Then similarly, you with your perosnal opinion cannot conclude for everyone else either. It seems in AussieWilly's experinece, and also in mine as an adult skater, that most of the competitors are in it for the challenge, and the taking part, such is the cameraderie of adult skating events.

This is also a reality.

I don't understand what you mean about obtaining a good ranking. Adult skating isn't like elite skating, there is no overall ranking you obtain by competing :confused:

Artifice
10-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Aussie Willy, being rude is far from what my post demonstrated. It was actually facts oriented.

As you said, "MOST adult skaters I do know", that is among the skaters you do know, not about every skaters.
I myself can tell that many skaters behave like result is the most important thing in competition. I'm not saying "most" skaters behave like this because I don't know every skaters, as it is the case for you.

It's only a matter of not generalizing a personal experience.

Artifice
10-19-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't understand what you mean about obtaining a good ranking. Adult skating isn't like elite skating, there is no overall ranking you obtain by competing :confused:

Yes there is a ranking (don't know what about the "overall" but ranking there is). A ranking in competition, every competition has a ranking, that is actually why it is a competition. The competition in Germany is the most known example.