PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Nan
06-13-2011, 02:59 PM
It was a great atmosphere and I feel very lucky to have seen midori Ito skate live. She was beaming before and afterwards and one could also see that she was nervous. Before the skate she held the hand of her friend. She was delighted with her score and her skating skills and speed were second to none. Also her presence on the ice. She beamed through her whole program.
She made a few mistakes and didnt do as many elements as Jan so I wasnt surprised about the result. But that wasnt really important anyway.
Funny was that Jan said I am so sorry!! When Midori hugged her to congratulate her. Jan was in total shock but Midori was delighted for her.

later I thanked Midori for being such a great ambassador for adult skating. Eislauffan had done an interview with her before so she might post some additional comments. ( did you get my text eislauffan? It took ages at my hotel to sort things out therefore I didnt came back )
Midori is tiny. I stood next to her when she was waiting to get on the ice and evev though I am not tall and she had skates on she was still shorter than me!

Midori's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUljJwPaJKo&feature=channel_video_title

Thank you both! :)

bardtoob
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
HOLY COW! She is still doing a Flying Camel-Inverted Camel-Y Position Combination spin with the top of the blade in hand!

She stubbled a little on the jump, but I am still impressed that she did spread eagle into 2Lp :)

VIETgrlTerifa
06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
She is absolutely incredible. I had tears in my eyes watching that. I mean, this is why we're skating fans.

bardtoob
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Does anybody have a link to Jan Calnan program? I can only find clips of her pairs skating from a few years back.

Bev Johnston
06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
This happened to me at the last AN I went to - I had on the aformentioned belt and was running through my program when I got plowed into and knocked over -- hard -- by someone in the 'I' division of my level. She neither apologized afterwards nor asked if I was ok, despite the fact that I made sure she was alright before she skated off. :mad:

I had this same experience with someone who had to have been a Class V. I don't believe the young have a lock on rudeness/cluelessness. Some people will just never get it.

I hope Midori comes back next year! I really want to go to Oberstdorf and it would be great to see her there. That, and the champagne that it looks like they get on the ice. :cool:

floskate
06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
She is absolutely incredible. I had tears in my eyes watching that. I mean, this is why we're skating fans.

This!! She's done so much for skating as it is. I mean she revolutionised the technical aspect of womens skating singlehandedly for starters, and to see her out there again in competition after 15 years was just a joy to watch. I mean, we're the winners here, as well as her. I really hope she keeps competing in these adult competitions because she is totally one of a kind, out of this world phenomenal. That double axel was ridiculously good. I mean there's no other word for it really; at the age of 41, having not competed in 15 years and only skating once or twice in the last decade. I can imagine many of the Worlds leading ladies watching that jump with pure envy. Yep keep dreaming girlies :lol:

skatesindreams
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
^^^
You spoke for me, floskate!

DickButtonFan
06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
That was just lovely and the audience was so appreciative. Hope she comes back next year as well.

overedge
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Just because you are an adult skater doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to have better music choices than other competitive skaters. There are a lot of adults I know who have very limited music knowledge and a tough time trying to find music to skate to.

Very true, but I would also guess that as an adult you have more control over what you skate to (i.e. your coach is probably not going to be able to force you to skate to something).

overedge
06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I really hope she keeps competing in these adult competitions because she is totally one of a kind, out of this world phenomenal. That double axel was ridiculously good. I mean there's no other word for it really; at the age of 41, having not competed in 15 years and only skating once or twice in the last decade. I can imagine many of the Worlds leading ladies watching that jump with pure envy. Yep keep dreaming girlies :lol:

(word) X 10,000 to this.

ks777
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM

ITA.

CantALoop
06-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Just pure brilliant joy. After 15 years, her radiance still shines through just as brightly.

Skittl1321
06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Very true, but I would also guess that as an adult you have more control over what you skate to (i.e. your coach is probably not going to be able to force you to skate to something).

My experience is that adults also are willing to spend less to have music cut, so they skate to easier to cut music. Thus, the music is generally common music.

Doubletoe
06-14-2011, 12:11 AM
My experience is that adults also are willing to spend less to have music cut, so they skate to easier to cut music. Thus, the music is generally common music.

I have never known that to be true. The only difference I can see between adult skaters' and younger skaters' music choices is that adult skaters more often choose their own music, whereas younger skaters more often submit to the choices of their coaches. Some choose great music, some choose music that has been used a lot for skating, and others choose music that hasn't been used for skating. . . and probably shouldn't be, LOL! But you certainly can't call Warsaw Concerto overused in light of the number of "Tango de Roxanne" skates we've seen over the past two seasons--even at the elite levels!

Aussie Willy
06-14-2011, 02:01 AM

I think a reason why adults would not get music cut is not knowing where to find someone to do it (which has happened with many adults I know). I have found adults generally have a harder time learning the ins and outs of the sport because of the lack of mentors and role models. Parents and younger skaters get looked after better because once a kid gets spotted with potential everyone is really willing to offer all the advice in the word. Plus the competitive drive with kids, either through parents and coaches, gets pushed from very early on.

Adults don't get that same level of attention and from the outset get looked on as recreational skaters by coaches and those around them, with no competitive ambitions, probably not encouraged to do so and not taken as seriously. Many adults who do want to compete do so from self-motivation and desire. And the encouragement usually comes from other adult skaters.