PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

paskatefan
06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
It was a great atmosphere and I feel very lucky to have seen Midori Ito skate live. She was beaming before and afterwards and one could also see that she was nervous. Before the skate she held the hand of her friend. She was delighted with her score and her skating skills and speed were second to none. Also her presence on the ice. She beamed through her whole program.
She made a few mistakes and didn't do as many elements as Jan so I wasnt surprised about the result. But that wasn't really important anyway.
Funny was that Jan said I am so sorry!! When Midori hugged her to congratulate her. Jan was in total shock but Midori was delighted for her.

later I thanked Midori for being such a great ambassador for adult skating. Eislauffan had done an interview with her before so she might post some additional comments. ( did you get my text eislauffan? It took ages at my hotel to sort things out therefore I didnt came back )
Midori is tiny. I stood next to her when she was waiting to get on the ice and even though I am not tall and she had skates on she was still shorter than me!

Yes, I am just so happy she's back and looking healthy after all these years. She has been through as much as anyone in skating, and it's awesome that she still loves it.

Thank you! :encore:

Jaana
06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Funny was that Jan said I am so sorry!! When Midori hugged her to congratulate her. Jan was in total shock but Midori was delighted for her.

WOW, what a great lady Midori is and so very gracious!!! And of course Jan is a great lady, too.

Thanks so much for your details!

Hedwig
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I dont think she attempted the triples, floskate. She didnt try them in the warm up either. She had said before that the switch to CoP was difficult for her for the spins etc. I can imagine that.
Winning was probably not what was her ultimate goal. She could have done more doubles or singles as it was still allowed. But for me it felt like she wanted mostly show her love for skating. :)

Anyway. The rest of the competition was also enjoyable although I was somewhat surprised by the conservative and often boring music and program choices. The adult skaters I know are mostly in it for fun and enjoy to make their programs as innovative as possible. Some here did as well but there were enough tngo de los exilados and Warsaw concertos to make me be surprised.

allezfred
06-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Off topic, but Ireland medalled! :cheer2:

TheIronLady
06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I dont think she attempted the triples, floskate. She didnt try them in the warm up either. She had said before that the switch to CoP was difficult for her for the spins etc. I can imagine that.
Winning was probably not what was her ultimate goal. She could have done more doubles or singles as it was still allowed. But for me it felt like she wanted mostly show her love for skating. :)

What you write strikes me as a commentary on why, since 2005, skating is no longer quite as popular in the West/United States. It seems IJS element/point strategies are not compatible with programs that show love for skating and provide entertainment.

Aussie Willy
06-12-2011, 02:15 PM
What you write strikes me as a commentary on why, since 2005, skating is no longer quite as popular in the West/United States. It seems IJS element/point strategies are not compatible with programs that show love for skating and provide entertainment.
Under 6.0 you would still give a skater credit for the amount of technical content they put in compared to another and have to take that into consideration when giving the technical mark.

overedge
06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
The rest of the competition was also enjoyable although I was somewhat surprised by the conservative and often boring music and program choices. The adult skaters I know are mostly in it for fun and enjoy to make their programs as innovative as possible. Some here did as well but there were enough tngo de los exilados and Warsaw concertos to make me be surprised.

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way about some adults' music and program choices. Of course I feel the same way about a lot of kids' music and program choices too :)

Aussie Willy
06-13-2011, 12:34 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way about some adults' music and program choices. Of course I feel the same way about a lot of kids' music and program choices too :)
Just because you are an adult skater doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to have better music choices than other competitive skaters. There are a lot of adults I know who have very limited music knowledge and a tough time trying to find music to skate to.

kapriza
06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Midori's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUljJwPaJKo&feature=channel_video_title

skateboy
06-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Midori's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUljJwPaJKo&feature=channel_video_title

So nice to see Midori back and enjoying skating again.

Sweet program. The double axel was just like the old days!

Artifice
06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Midori Ito seems to still have her incredible height on jumps. The double axel looks big !

Artifice
06-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Double post.

Aussie Willy
06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting the clip. Nice to see her skating again. Maybe it might encourage some other former competitive skaters to give it a go because it is a great promotion for adult skating to have her competing.

sarah009
06-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Thank you so much for uploading the video!! Very nice to see her skating again!! I was deeply moved!! :)

Allisanna
06-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much for the video.