PDA

View Full Version : Midori Ito returning to competition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

overedge
06-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure why it would matter who the competitors are

Because that never plays a role in how skating is judged :rolleyes:
Yes, Jan had more elements than Midori did. But we did not know that until they skated.

zigzig
06-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Haha, so random.
I like how one judge gave Midori a 9 for SS. :)

briancoogaert
06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
LOL
Midori only attempted 6 elements vs 11 ? I guess she wanted to loose, or she didn't know the rules ! LOL

Anyway, congrats to all the competitors.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-11-2011, 10:51 PM
LOL
Midori only attempted 6 elements vs 11 ? I guess she wanted to loose, or she didn't know the rules ! LOL

Anyway, congrats to all the competitors.

She don't care about no COP. ;)

caseyedwards
06-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I am interested in the programs. If one person does 11 elements and one person does 6 what did that look like if they skated the same amount of time. What was Ito doing on the ice if not elements. Glad she was the ice, good for her.

ltnskater
06-12-2011, 01:42 AM
I am interested in the programs. If one person does 11 elements and one person does 6 what did that look like if they skated the same amount of time. What was Ito doing on the ice if not elements. Glad she was the ice, good for her.

It would probably look like a very nice exhibition program =D I mean, think of a short program, but extend it for a minute with just choreography :)

Aussie Willy
06-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Very interesting result. It did come down to the elements so probably good strategy for Jan to use the maximum elements she was allowed.

At least Jan can say she has beaten Midori.

I do find it interesting that both got the same GOE for the relative steps and spirals. Considering steps are probably more difficult than spirals generally. Not sure if I agree that for adults it can be either one or the other. Probably something I think needs to be reviewed.

Jenna
06-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Very intersting..I wonder why Midori did so few elements. It seems to me that she could've won easily if she just did a few more because her PCS were so much higher. That's OK though, I don't think Midori really cares. :D

Interesting that the winner did a change foot layback spin! I don't think I've ever seen that done in competition before.

MR-FAN
06-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Knowing what Midori is like, I'm sure she's just flabbergasted with landing that 2-axel (and look at those GOEs!!!) She came back for the joy of skating, landed her gorgeous axel, and I'm sure she got what she hoped for out of this (and look how much attention she gave to an adult competition!!) I'm so proud of her and can't wait to (hopefully) see her performance :)

Yay Midori!

YukiNieve
06-12-2011, 06:12 AM
This article has a small picture of Midori:
http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2011061200030

Larger version (photo):
http://www.jiji.com/jc/p?id=20110612131705-0970003

TheIronLady
06-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Is Judge #1 in big trouble for scoring out of range with the others? :lol:

TheIronLady
06-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Knowing Midori, she is going to come back after with a 3T and a 2-2-2 combination. I hope they schedule a rematch!

Hedwig
06-12-2011, 08:52 AM
It was a great atmosphere and I feel very lucky to have seen midori Ito skate live. She was beaming before and afterwards and one could also see that she was nervous. Before the skate she held the hand of her friend. She was delighted with her score and her skating skills and speed were second to none. Also her presence on the ice. She beamed through her whole program.
She made a few mistakes and didnt do as many elements as Jan so I wasnt surprised about the result. But that wasnt really important anyway.
Funny was that Jan said I am so sorry!! When Midori hugged her to congratulate her. Jan was in total shock but Midori was delighted for her.

later I thanked Midori for being such a great ambassador for adult skating. Eislauffan had done an interview with her before so she might post some additional comments. ( did you get my text eislauffan? It took ages at my hotel to sort things out therefore I didnt came back )
Midori is tiny. I stood next to her when she was waiting to get on the ice and evev though I am not tall and she had skates on she was still shorter than me!

floskate
06-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the details Hedwig. I really hope Midori enjoyed this enough to persevere with it and continue to compete at this level. With a program that actually has the right number of elements she would easily walk it. But it doesn't even matter. I hope some video will appear at some point and I'm so happy she landed her double axel. For those of you who were there, did she attempt the triples she says she still has in practice? From what she did it seems she was perhaps planning triple toe and triple loop?

TheIronLady
06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the details Hedwig. I really hope Midori enjoyed this enough to persevere with it and continue to compete at this level. With a program that actually has the right number of elements she would easily walk it. But it doesn't even matter. I hope some video will appear at some point and I'm so happy she landed her double axel. For those of you who were there, did she attempt the triples she says she still has in practice? From what she did it seems she was perhaps planning triple toe and triple loop?

Yes, I am just so happy she's back and looking healthy after all these years. She has been through as much as anyone in skating, and it's awesome that she still loves it.