PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of *New* Team Event in Sochi?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

CantALoop
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I put for, since it has more promise than it does detriment. Right now the biggest pro for me is the chance at another medal for skaters.

danceronice
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
How about a category for "like the general idea, dread $peedy's execution of it?"

jenji124
04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I am for it, but I think it should be the last event after the singles,pairs, and dance.

madm
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't like the idea. Instead I would love to see Syncronized skating.

Me too! It's long overdue that synchro becomes an olympic sport.

wonderlen
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
What not to say 'Yes' to more drama, kiss & cry and triple splats?? lol

flutzilla1
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I would vote 'for' if (a) it was more like the WTT setup with two men and ladies skaters per team, and (b) if it was after all the other fs events. It should most definitely not be the focus event of figure skating at the Games.

aliceanne
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
It will be far more interesting to have figure skaters team up and play hockey. I want to see some nasty body checking and feathers flying off their costumes all over the place.

I think what you're looking for is a reality show where they all live in the same house and wear their costumes all of the time:lol:

Figure skating fans need to lighten up. Just because something new comes along it doesn't mean their cherished traditions and skaters will be threatened. If things never changed we'd still be watching middle-aged men tracing patterns on a pond with their upper bodies rigid.:eek:

overedge
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Figure skating fans need to lighten up. Just because something new comes along it doesn't mean their cherished traditions and skaters will be threatened. If things never changed we'd still be watching middle-aged men tracing patterns on a pond with their upper bodies rigid.:eek:

No, *you* need to lighten up. The negative response has nothing to do with threatening "cherished traditions" or not wanting change. It's about wanting to see the sport presented in a format that truly benefits both the sport and the skaters.

genevieve
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Result of this poll tells me a team event at Olympics will be a miserable failure. Who in the hell is going to watch a crap event that fails to get approval from the most avid figure skating fanbase.

I think most of the avid fans who are voting against the concept in this poll (including myself) will still watch it, so I don't think it will be a miserable failure at all.

Vagabond
04-07-2011, 06:36 PM
middle-aged men tracing patterns on a pond with their upper bodies rigid.

Ulrich Salchow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vqyLXiYLk&feature=related)
Gillis Grafström (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhphUWTBi7w)

:cheer2: :swoon: :watch:

BigB08822
04-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I have to be honest. I see some people saying they don't think it will work and I can understand that thinking. However, I do not get the people who seem so adamant about this not being an event. It seems like they are almost offended that someone would dare mess with their sport. I got news for you. If you don't like the event, don't compete in it!! Further more, feel free to not watch it!

a56
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
If the event is going be a big mess, I'm all for it. :watch:

danceronice
04-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Ulrich Salchow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vqyLXiYLk&feature=related)

LOL, I think every skater should have an event where he/she has to ignore a :dog: running across the ice in the background!

patinage
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm very tentatively for the team event, but only if it comes after the individual events. To me, figure skating should be taking its cues from track (relay events come towards the end of the Olympic competition), and not from, say, gymnastics.

Come to think of it, how do other sports with both individual and team/relay aspects handle this?

Jayar
04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
So who goes? Is it the national champion or the reigning world champion. What if they get hurt who substitutes?

Did the ISU put out the actual rules of competition or just a statement for the press?

There will be many questions over the next couple of years.

Because it's a TEAM competition, I would hope that the skater who does best in the Olympics gets named to the team.