8. Navka& Kostomarov
9. Deloebel & Schoenfelder
10. Rahkamo & Kokko

The greatest of all time: Torvill & Dean

Wow No K & P

Jaana
01-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow No K & P

Yeah, there are some Russian dancers I do not appreciate.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
longingfornia, I may have to update my list as well. I can't believe I left out T&D as they certainly belong on any greatest icedance list IMO. Need to do some more thinking.

I think L&A's situation with the medals they won was similar to F/P&M's. The timing was right (00/01) as well as the timing being right and they actually had great programs (01/02). ITA that L&A's Tango/Flamenco OD was excellent and one of the best OD's of that season. Their FD was very good as well but the choice of costume distracted from the skating as many found it in poor taste. I didn't realize until the season was almost over that the costumes and the coloring in Irina's hair was supposed to represent ashes and burned clothing. L&A consistently had IMO the worst taste in costumes so I thought that was more of the same. :shuffle:

Actually as good as the NA teams had/have become I still might have to leave all of them out of a top ten list. Especially if it's an all time best list of international skaters. Granted trends in dancing keep changing but many of the past skaters were so great that their skating and programs still stand up over time. To include T&D I might have to drop either DomShabs or V&M although V&M's skating and their medals might place them ahead of DomShabs. Both teams are fantastic. How about a top 20?

briancoogaert
01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
longingfornia, I may have to update my list as well. I can't believe I left out T&D as they certainly belong on any greatest icedance list IMO. Need to do some more thinking.
Maybe because the thread is post 1989. Of course, T&D skated at 1994 Euros and Olympics, but I'm don't think we can consider that they are from the 90's ! ;)

Vash01
01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
1 Marina Klimova & Seegei Ponomarenko Russia
2 Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov Russia
3 Angelika Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov Russia
4 Maya Usova & Alexander Zhulin Russia
5 Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat France
6 Tatiana NAVKA & Roman KOSTOMAROV Russia
7 Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR Canada
8 Albena DENKOVA & Maxim STAVISKI Bulgaria
9 Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz Canada
10 Oksana DOMNINA & Maxim SHABALIN Russia

HM
Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder France
Irina LOBACHEVA & Ilia AVERBUKH Russia
Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko Finland
Margarita Drobiazko & Povilas Vanagas Lithuania

No Davis & White on the list? I would replace either B&K or Dom-Shab with them.

AYS
01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
There are 3 other world medals for V/M and D/W actually are dancers with Olympic medals and world titles from 1989-present: for worlds, they now have a gold and a silver medal from worlds.

I'll try to do one based on medal count, not my preference, and this is all from memory so feel free to correct mistakes... ...
5. Virtue & Moir - Olympic gold, 1 world title

That ends the list of dancers who won Olympic medals AND world titles during this period...
at this point it starts getting tricky with Olympic medalists who never won worlds vs. World champions without Olympic medals - which is better?

Honorable mentions:
...Davis & White - Olympic silver, 1 world medal

pani
1 Marina Klimova & Seegei Ponomarenko Russia
2 Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov Russia
3 Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR Canada
4 Angelika Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov Russia
5 Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat France
6 Maya Usova & Alexander Zhulin Russia
7 Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz Canada
8 Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder France
9. Rahkamo & Kokko
10 Oksana DOMNINA & Maxim SHABALIN Russia

HM
Margarita Drobiazko & Povilas Vanagas Lithuania
Dusheney

Carmen Ovsiannikov
Maybe because the thread is post 1989. Of course, T&D skated at 1994 Euros and Olympics, but I'm don't think we can consider that they are from the 90's ! ;)

:rofl: Yep that might be why. I guess that would be my :duh: moment for the week.

longingfornia
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
No injuries Domshabs would have won 08 worlds and been in play for Vancouver gold. Their 07 season was undermarked as well.

annie_mg
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Great topic! My list:

1. Anissina & Peizerat
2. Klimova & Ponomarenko
3. Virtue & Moir
4. Grishuk & Platov
5. Krylova & Ovsiannikov
6. Usova & Zhulin
7. Denkova & Staviyski
8. Delobel & Schoenfelder
9. Rahkamo & Kokko
10. Drobiazko & Vanagas

I put A/P into first, because they had it all:technique, chemistry, musicality, great programs, and just a beautiful couple, noone will ever top them on my list.

I really think that all the above couples had unique qualities and that the current couples have a long way ahead of them if they are going to reach that level. Only Virtue/Moir deserve to be on my list, and not because they move me as much as the others do, but because of their amazing skills. (trying to be objective).

NOT on my list: F-P/M ( I will never get over them winning 2001 gold), Navka/Kostomarov (Weak couple technically compared to other champions), Davis/White (yes, they are a very good team, but I would like to see them connect more with each other for me to appreciate them).

Cherub721
01-12-2012, 01:22 AM
There are 3 other world medals for V/M

I only posted the # of world titles for those who were world champions. I did not list all of the world medals won by G&P, K&P, et al either.

and D/W actually are dancers with Olympic medals and world titles from 1989-present: for worlds, they now have a gold and a silver medal from worlds.

Yes, they are now World champs. My post is dated 4/9/11, before the Worlds took place. :)

Proustable
01-12-2012, 02:04 AM
No injuries Domshabs would have won 08 worlds and been in play for Vancouver gold. Their 07 season was undermarked as well.

Man, what might have been if DomShabs stayed injury free.

Susan M
01-12-2012, 02:39 AM
I started by looking and World & Olympic medalists from 1989 - present and culled these names as teams I though were most special. Arranged sort of chronologically, the candidates for my Top 10 were:

Klimova-Ponomarenko
Duchesnays
Usova-Zhulin
Grishuk-Platov
Rahkamo-Kokko
Krilova-Ovsiannikov
Anisina Peizerat
Fusar-Poli-Margaglio
Bourne-Kraatz
Lobacheva-Averbukh
Navka-Kostamarov
Delobel-Schoenfelder
Belbin-Agosto
Denkova-Staviski
Virtue-Moir
Davis-White

From that pool of well regarded, highly accomplished skaters, I looked at teams that were not just great but had qualities that set them apart from other great skaters, making them especially memorable - teams that defined an era, had a special performance quality, or brought the sport to a different place. So here is my list of great, memorable, and/or impactful dance teams since 1989:

1. Klimova-Ponomarenko
2. Grishuk-Platov
3. Duchesnays
4. Anisina-Peizerat
5. Usova-Zhulin
6. Davis-White
7. Rahkamo-Kokko
8. Navka-Kostamarov
9. Virtue-Moir
10. Denkova-Staviski

If I was ranking strictly in terms of how much I enjoyed watching them, Navka-K and Virtue-M would drop off this list as too generic, replaced by Lobacheva-Averbukh and the young team Silverstein-Pekarek, who made a brief appearance in the senior level then disappeared, but were astonishingly good and a joy to watch.

longingfornia
01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Man, what might have been if DomShabs stayed injury free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGazx_iR3u0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti5VyiUSrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AawKFUNmRM
these are under marked IMHO