PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Team Event In?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

leafygreens
04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I just don't see why not have jump and spin events. Then you could have someone revolutionary like Lucinda Ruh win for her talent. And Plushy could quad to his heart's content.

Think of how long it's going to take to have 8 teams skate 4 programs each, say each program is 4 minutes. That's 32 long programs, plus resurfacing, judging time, etc. If they are truly concerned about the lack of ice time and shortening the Olympics, this isn't the way to do it. Jump and Spin events would be much shorter.

I am not sure I understand the "how many countries have realistic chance" argument.
In every sport (gymnastics, biathlon, skiing), there are few countries that always dominate. Nothing new.

Because Cinquanta said this was about unity and equality. How is it more equal this way? The only thing equal is adding the women's ski jump, which I agree with.

julieann
04-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Hmmmm... so does the highest ranking skater in each discipline automatically get on the team? Or do they have the option to pass? Because if the team event is before the individual events (meaning events for singles/pairs and dance), I can see medal contenders not wanting to do the team, while a lower-ranked skater/pair with no real chance at the podium in their discimpline could seriously increase their medal hopes as part of a team. I would expect the team selection to be even more strategic than Oly team selection.

Who in their right mind would give up a chance to win a medal and wait to compete later individually? Only to get the chance and possibly fail and go home with nothing?

elanor
04-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Will these skaters be introduced as the Olympic medalists? I guess so. This will greatly cheapen and devalue the Olympic medals in figure skating when anybody who can skate at the world level competition and has the right citizenship can get it, not only the best skaters of the hardest event. On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing when the mythic, magic aura will be taken out of the Olympic medal and it's not unique anymore, skaters won't receive that insane amount of pressure to win it.

made_in_canada
04-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I am not sure I understand the "how many countries have realistic chance" argument.
In every sport (gymnastics, biathlon, skiing), there are few countries that always dominate. Nothing new.

Because only a very few countries are even able to compete. It's not just that there will be stronger countries it's that the entries will be very limited.

julieann
04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Will these skaters be introduced as the Olympic medalists? I guess so. This will greatly cheapen and devalue the Olympic medals in figure skating when anybody who can skate at the world level competition and has the right citizenship can get it, not only the best skaters of the hardest event. On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing when the mythic, magic aura will be taken out of the Olympic medal and it's not unique anymore, skaters won't receive that insane amount of pressure to win it.

So what you are saying is Michael Phelps isn't really a good swimmer because he has 16 Olympic medals a some of them were with a team, so they must have been pretty easy to get?

a56
04-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll watch it since it's more figure skating, but I don't think I'll be able to take the team event seriously though. :shuffle:

minignome
04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Because only a very few countries are even able to compete. It's not just that there will be stronger countries it's that the entries will be very limited.

This is not unique to figure skating. Basketball, gymnastics, soccer, hockey (pretty much any team sport) have a limited number of entries -- 8 or 16 depending on the sport. In some cases the host country automatically gets a berth (hence most of the "Greek" baseball team had never set foot in Greece prior to Athens), but in most cases your country has to qualify to field a team.

smartblade
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I do understand it. That's not the same as liking it.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed :rolleyes: And I must have missed the parts of the thread saying that the skating team event should be replaced with more Nordic events, or the part where you had to like the team event idea if you were a figure skating fan :rolleyes:

You can be enthusiastic about the idea, but you can do so without insulting people who don't share your enthusiasm.

I'm happy you understand, i'm sorry you're not a fan of the idea of team figure skating, and i'm sorry you feel insulted. However, you questioned my opinion as to why i didn't understand so many were displeased with this new event such as yourself, so i as this forum is set up to. we debated, i would reply my thought and reasoning, just as you have yours.

And i never said nordic events should be replaced with team figure skating, i said i'd rather watch it. I'm happy they have mixed biathalon relay, and women ski-jumping as part of the olympic program.

The point i'm trying to prove is that team sport helps build the sport overall. The idea of the team event may encourage france to start producing elite athletes in pairs and ladies, or china with ladies and men, germany ladies, men and dance, These countries have had history of elite skaters in these disciplines recently. Then there is Italy who have great skaters in all disciplines they just need to push some of them to a higher level. So its not entirely impossible that they can challenge for team medals at some point. Then there are teams such as Great Britain, Spain, czech, who have potential to try and challenge so they can qualify for a team spot in the future.

BigB08822
04-06-2011, 11:00 PM

Only 8 teams get to compete in the team competition for gymnastics at the Olympics...

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 11:12 PM
... This will greatly cheapen and devalue the Olympic medals in figure skating ....

BINGO!

Just like gymnasts who happen to be members of a winning group in the Team Event at the Summer Olympics are not truly THE champions of the all-around or the apparatus events...but still can run around showing off their Olympics gold medal as if they were the Olympic individual champion. Ma & Pa Kettle watching on TV won't know the difference.

Why does figure skating have to lower itself to that level?

minignome
04-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks. That was me. And it does cheapen the 'true' Oly events.

What does a 'true' Olympic event mean? Seems to me if it's they are awarding medals it IS a true event. The Olympics have been fluid -- sports are added/dropped as popularity dictates.

SamuraiK
04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Who in their right mind would give up a chance to win a medal and wait to compete later individually? Only to get the chance and possibly fail and go home with nothing?

Contenders with podium chances in the invidiual and waaay more prestigious events of course. We will never know , but if this team event would have taken place in Vancouver for example, Im willing to bet my money some skaters like V&M or Mao Asada and probably Lysacek too would have passed on the team competition.

SamuraiK
04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
What does a 'true' Olympic event mean? Seems to me if it's they are awarding medals it IS a true event. The Olympics have been fluid -- sports are added/dropped as popularity dictates.

I agree with that.. Lets not make it this a "purist" discussion. The olympic concept is not set in stone. If that were the case Ice Dancing would have never made it in..:shuffle:

julieann
04-06-2011, 11:20 PM
BINGO!

Just like gymnasts who happen to be members of a winning group in the Team Event at the Summer Olympics are not truly THE champions of the all-around or the apparatus events...but still can run around showing off their Olympics gold medal as if they were the Olympic individual champion. Ma & Pa Kettle watching on TV won't know the difference.

Why does figure skating have to lower itself to that level?

I think people like you just don't understand the sport of gymnastics enough to understand the difference in the medals. It's like understanding the difference between the Grammy for Song of the Year and Record of the Year. There is a big difference for those who care.

You either care to learn the difference or you don't and you don't and apparently never will so you are the one that cheapens it not the IOC.

manleywoman
04-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Contenders with podium chances in the invidiual and waaay more prestigious events of course. We will never know , but if this team event would have taken place in Vancouver for example, Im willing to bet my money some skaters like V&M or Mao Asada and probably Lysacek too would have passed on the team competition.

I don't know. An Olympic medal is an Olympic medal.

And I'm not buying the whole "skaters will be too tired to do both" argument either. They have to run their programs every day anyway. Gymnasts and swimmers have to be at peak every day too.