PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Team Event In?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Jenna
04-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm loving this addition.

jenji124
04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I like the idea of having a team event, but I would like it after the individual, pairs, dance events. I think the importance should be on what the individual or couple can acheive.
I think of the team event medal as a bonus, a nice end to the figure skating competition when the team can come together and win after all the individual, pairs, and dance events have been completed.

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
....I'd rather watch more figure skating than having to watch nordic events...This is a figureskaing fan site!

This is a skating fan site but I don't care to see most of the Disson cheesefests.

I feel that the Olympics are being cheapened by this. So what will be added in 2018 -- the Rock n' Roll Interpretive category?

I would rather watch a PURE TRADITIONAL winter sporting event like nordic or biathlon than a skating cheesefest.

Visaliakid
04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Well it is just a matter of liking or not. Those who don't like the idea of this team format, surely can choose not to watch, and those who do (myself included) can elect to view it. Each to their own.

Much of the time there is a preponderance of bitching here about there is not enough skating shown on TV or the web... so when more is offered, some can't be satisfied. It is their right to feel such, but come on folks. (:<)

Skittl1321
04-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Earlier this year when Cinquanta talked about the possibility of having a team event in the Olympics, it was mentioned that the rules might be modified to allow those qualifying nations who did not have a qualifying pair, or dance team, to substitute a second pair or dance team to fullfill the six skater team total.

The ISU will likely address this probable need between now and the scheduled first outing of the Team event at the 2012 Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

What about a country who qualifies in all 4 events, but has better skaters in a specific event- why can countries without qualifiers substitute from other events, but other countries have to use skater who aren't necessarily their best?

(For example, the US might have pairs in Olympics- but they'd likely be better off sending an additional lady, man, or dance team.)

Not to mention the point that was brought up that a dance team subtituted for a single skater would have a completely different score range possible.

escaflowne9282
04-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Heh, When I read the header I thought maybe they were adding a synchro event (which would have been a nice idea...)

manhn
04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess you don't watch the relay events in sports a lot.

Yeah, all those teams tripping and losing their batons won all those medals.

overedge
04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
You don't have understand it that's fine.

I do understand it. That's not the same as liking it.

Once again I'd rather watch more figure skating than having to watch nordic events...This is a figureskaing fan site!

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed :rolleyes: And I must have missed the parts of the thread saying that the skating team event should be replaced with more Nordic events, or the part where you had to like the team event idea if you were a figure skating fan :rolleyes:

You can be enthusiastic about the idea, but you can do so without insulting people who don't share your enthusiasm.

overedge
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
And once again it's not about the actual news, it's that "Phil Space" Hersh told you about it before anyone else, SO THERE. :rolleyes:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/04/team-figure-skating-event-womens-ski-jumping-new-olympic-events.html

genevieve
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Reuters newswire article: http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=528406.html

According to the IOC, the figure skating team event will feature teams made up of six skaters: one male, one female, one pairs team and one ice dancing couple. Points will be awarded to each skater/couple, and the team with the highest number of points will be the winner.

Hmmmm... so does the highest ranking skater in each discipline automatically get on the team? Or do they have the option to pass? Because if the team event is before the individual events (meaning events for singles/pairs and dance), I can see medal contenders not wanting to do the team, while a lower-ranked skater/pair with no real chance at the podium in their discimpline could seriously increase their medal hopes as part of a team. I would expect the team selection to be even more strategic than Oly team selection.

leafygreens
04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Granted this is off topic, but Sarah Hughes was the reigning World bronze medalist going into the Olympics and had defeated her top two competitors (Irina and Michelle) at a Grand Prix event that season.

Her record before winning Olympic gold is very similar to Alexei Urmanov's.

Not really, at least Urmanov won his national champs. Sarah never did.

BTW - if this new team event consists of skaters already on the team, wouldn't this require that an alternate sometimes compete? Look at the countries who only have one skater, and they are afraid of an injury and are saving themselves for the individual event. Could they relegate their team slot to the next in line in their country? Are the skaters required to do the team event or else they will be barred from the individual? There's just too many questions. A lot of skaters have "secret" injuries that they don't want anyone to know about and push themselves just to do the individual events.

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Details from Phil Hersh's blog...and he is mighty proud that "He Knew First":

The figure skating team event will have six-skater teams: one man, one woman, one pair and one ice dancing couple. Points will be awarded to each skater/couple, and the total for all four disciplines will determine the winner.

There likely will be between eight and 12 countries in the competition.

Between eight and 12 countries? How many of them have a realistic chance to medal and how many will be mere "filling"? What a waste of time. And what an insulting "watering down" of the importance of the four "true" disciplines. So will a somewhat-mediocre skater who happens to be on an otherwise-strong team be able to call him/herself "THE Olympic Champion"? This is a marketing person's dream -- to tout skater-X as "THE Olympic Champion" even if he/she never won the true gold.

We can already guess which country's skaters NBC (or whoever telecasts this in 2014) will show in-full: USA! Then a couple of Russians, a couple of Japanese, a couple of Canadians. It will likely be packaged as "Ice Wars" all over again - USA vs the World! "Can little Suzie-Q, the darling American Ice Princess, have a chance at redemption against the Czarina of the Ice who just won the ladies gold medal?"

leafygreens
04-06-2011, 10:27 PM
You still haven't explained how diversity and inclusiveness is going to be improved by having the same skaters competing in the team events as are competing in the other events.

Or how "learning to work as a team" is going to be developed by everyone performing the same individual/couple programs they'll be doing later on in the competition.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Exactly, I totally agree!

Think of in the Amatuer series of ICE WARS skating competition in mid90's...those were so fun to watch! in this case the athletes are competing for Olympic gold

Omg, Ice Wars was like a joke! Certainly not an Oly event. I agree with whoever said this cheapens the Olympics.

Earlier this year when Cinquanta talked about the possibility of having a team event in the Olympics, it was mentioned that the rules might be modified to allow those qualifying nations who did not have a qualifying pair, or dance team, to substitute a second pair or dance team to fullfill the six skater team total

Again, what is the point if these skaters aren't even good enough to qualify? What chance do they have of winning a medal? It's going to be the same 4 or 5 countries rotating in the medal slots all the time.

I feel as if this idea wasn't thought out very well. It was just a rush to add an event without adding resources needed to accommodate extra skaters. Just recycle the same skaters and voila, an extra money-making event. That's all this is. As much as I'd love to see new skating events, I don't believe that the team event is appropriate.

They're saying the team event will be held before individuals. I think this is a bad idea because skaters train themselves to peak for the individual, not the team. But they won't put the individual events first, because the mens & ladies singles are the money-making cow of the Olympics and they have to put them at the end so people will watch. It's such a marketing ploy, not considering the skaters or countries at all.

millipied
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I am not sure I understand the "how many countries have realistic chance" argument.
In every sport (gymnastics, biathlon, skiing), there are few countries that always dominate. Nothing new.

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 10:37 PM
... I agree with whoever said this cheapens the Olympics.....

Thanks. That was me. And it does cheapen the 'true' Oly events.

One other thing that I noticed in Hersh's blog:

Cinquanta's idea (not necessarily what this occur) was to make this the first skating event at the Olys...even before Pairs begins, which is the traditional opening event. So my little fantasy-scenario of networks marketing this as "a last chance for redemption by America's Ice Princess against the Czarina of the Ice" -- ICE WARS style --would not happen.

Perhaps Cinquanta/ISU's rationale in holding the Team Event first would be to not demoralize the North Americans...because North Americans rarely win medals in Pairs? If the USA or Canada win the very first skating event of an Olympics, it could be used to market the four traditional disciplines, keeping viewership up in N.Am. markets (esp the USA)?