PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Team Event In?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

allezfred
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Wth is team luge? Isn't luge a team sport already?

Luge has single for men and women and then double luge for men only. The team luge event is a kind of timed relay where at the end of the run the luger/double lugers have to slap a contraption that signals it's OK for the next luger to start. Fastest combined time wins obviously. One team consists of men single, women single and double lugers. I saw it on TV and it was fun. If they missing the slapper, the whole team gets disqualified. :drama: :EVILLE:

Back to the topic at hand and how typical that skating fans complain about having to watch more skating. :lol:

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 07:28 PM
....Maybe the IOC could just mail out the medals to Russia, Canada, and the U.S. and be done with it.

BINGO! And thanks for reminding me that Tran is not Japanese; I was thinkiing that Japan had a potentially-top Pair team for Sochi.

I go back to my original thought: This smacks of $peedy Chee$efe$t in every regard.

itsartemis
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Adam and Jeffrey on Twitter:

Adam Rippon:
Of the 6 NEW events added to the Winter Olympics, a Figure Skating TEAM event was added!

Jeffrey Buttle:
@Adaripp No way! Omg, I love team events... That's it, I'm coming back... Is there a non-jumping portion to the team event?

I love Jeffrey. :lol: Yes, please come back!

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
....Jeffrey Buttle:
@Adaripp No way! Omg, I love team events... That's it, I'm coming back... Is there a non-jumping portion to the team event?

I love Jeffrey. :lol: Yes, please come back!

Aha! So maybe we can get an Olympic Gold Medal for Michelle Kwan after all? I can just see it now - NBC will market the 'Team Event' as if it were the real deal...and half of the American public would eat it up. "Oh, Kwan is back!" :lol:

Just kidding...but who knows?

nro
04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I like that figure skaters will have another medal opportunity but I wish they had explored the ideas mentioned in this thread, medals for short and long programs, or medals for jumps, spins, throws, footwork, etc.

WildRose
04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I like it! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

overedge
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I Disagree these same skaters who are cometing in their own events later on get to recognize first, how to work as a team, be supportive and compassionate. realize its not just their olympic moment, but their teams moment, their country's moment!

You still haven't explained how diversity and inclusiveness is going to be improved by having the same skaters competing in the team events as are competing in the other events.

Or how "learning to work as a team" is going to be developed by everyone performing the same individual/couple programs they'll be doing later on in the competition.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

SamuraiK
04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
The team members will consist of skaters who qualify for their nation's olympic team (from among the qualifying teams determined by outcome of the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships).

I Dont think that could really work. In Vancouver only 5 countries (USA, Canada, Russia ,Germany and Italy) had teams including all 4 categories. They will need to bring skaters who didnt qualify for the individual events otherwise it wont be possible, and even still.. Japan for instance won't have pairs participation unless Tran gets miraculously the japanese citizenship in time.

Wyliefan
04-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I kind of love this idea. :shuffle:

Visaliakid
04-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I Dont think that could really work. In Vancouver only 5 countries (USA, Canada, Russia ,Germany and Italy) had teams including all 4 categories. They will need to bring skaters who didnt qualify for the individual events otherwise it wont be possible, and even still.. Japan for instance won't have pairs participation unless Tran gets miraculously the japanese citizenship in time.

Earlier this year when Cinquanta talked about the possibility of having a team event in the Olympics, it was mentioned that the rules might be modified to allow those qualifying nations who did not have a qualifying pair, or dance team, to substitute a second pair or dance team to fullfill the six skater team total.

The ISU will likely address this probable need between now and the scheduled first outing of the Team event at the 2012 Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

barbk
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Earlier this year when Cinquanta talked about the possibility of having a team event in the Olympics, it was mentioned that the rules might be modified to allow those qualifying nations who did not have a qualifying pair, or dance team, to substitute a second pair or dance team to fullfill the six skater team total.

The ISU will likely address this probable need between now and the scheduled first outing of the Team event at the 2012 Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

I wonder how they'll level the scores if they do that? Dance and pair teams don't have scores that turn out the same.

Frau Muller
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
.... The team members will consist of skaters who qualify for their nation's olympic team (from among the qualifying teams determined by outcome of the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships)......

I just saw this important bit now. This is actually reassuring in that it must be currently-active skaters who also compete in the 'real disciplines' -- men, ladies, pairs or dance -- first and foremost. I was afraid that this would be a scheme to get the oldie-goldies back into the Olympics.

I still think that it's a waste of time and chee$y. Almost a 'pre gala' before the final gala. BO-RING!!!

aka_gerbil
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I can't believe I'm even making this analogy, but...

I grew up on a dairy farm, and our family exhibits some of our livestock. At the bigger shows (state fair, national shows), they have something called "Premier Exhibitor." Points are given for placements in each of the indivudual classes. Most places count an exhibitors top 6 placements. The farm with the most points wins; its not a separate competetion.

I can see awarding points for placements within the competetion and not trying to add in separate skates for a team competetion. (Speaking of which, I'd imagine that having to skate 4 performances at the Olympics rather than 2is not going to be the easiest thing--I'd think the skaters would be worn out by the time it's all over with.) On the otherhand, as has been pointed out, not every country has a pairs or dance team. I'm still not sold on this team competetion thing at all.

On another note, one of the things I didn't quite like about the WTT in 2009 was that emphasis was still placed on singles over pairs and dance. You have some countries where their depth is in ice dance or pairs rather than singles. It seems like it would be a little more fair to let countries choose two disciplines to have two teams/skaters in and then have 1 in each of the other two. Then, though, you get into differences in scoring and base values.

I'm making my head hurt.

smartblade
04-06-2011, 08:55 PM
You still haven't explained how diversity and inclusiveness is going to be improved by having the same skaters competing in the team events as are competing in the other events.

Or how "learning to work as a team" is going to be developed by everyone performing the same individual/couple programs they'll be doing later on in the competition.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

You don't have understand it that's fine. You are entitled to close yourself off from the idea, but its happening and when it does i'll be thrilled watching it. Things change, and sport be it Figure skating or any other sport is always evolving. Figure skating is not the same as it was 30 years ago. Adding a new dimension to figure skating opens up the idea of competition in a different perspective. It may not happen within the next two olympiads but other countries may see the team event ideal as a reason to start developing skaters and focusing skaters in all disciplines theres diversity and inclusion. People may find it hard to believe, maybe because there was no incentive to do so. Now there is!

It's another chance, opportunity for athletes to experience olympic glory, and with the new team event, why not celebrate the achievement with team mates.

Once again I'd rather watch more figure skating than having to watch nordic events...This is a figureskaing fan site!

Think of in the Amatuer series of ICE WARS skating competition in mid90's...those were so fun to watch! in this case the athletes are competing for Olympic gold

minignome
04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I like that figure skaters will have another medal opportunity but I wish they had explored the ideas mentioned in this thread, medals for short and long programs, or medals for jumps, spins, throws, footwork, etc.

Olympic rules state that medals can only be awarded for separate competitions. So, if you wanted to give out short program, long program medals there would need to be 3 competitions -- short, long, combined, and the scores in the short and long could not be added together to give the combined -- the skaters would have to skate them again.