PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Team Event In?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

walei
04-07-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm also torn at the idea. I understand that gold is gold but to me what made figure skating at the Olympics one of THE marquee events is the drama of the one shot skates.

You know the feeling, watching live to see the skater take the Olympic ice to skate to THE Olympic free skate, THE Olympic free dance. Now that they will skate twice to the same program, to me it takes the magic and the prestige away.

Also, imagine all the :argue::barrel:soapbox::drama: that could happen. Say if Lysacek and Plushy skated similarly to their performances in Vancouver, and Plushy scored higher in the team event but lower in the individual... :scream:

Sylvia
04-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Comments by U.S. Figure Skating Executive Director David Raith: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110406&content_id=17441206&vkey=ice_news

The IOC announcement specifies the Olympic team event will consist of each of the four figure skating disciplines, but does not specify the number of skaters that may compete. Some countries may wish to use different skaters for the short and long programs.

"One of the questions would be can a team use just one athlete [or couple] per discipline, or can substitutions be made," Raith said.

"Preliminarily, we've heard there will be a short and long program, but we also hear that teams can substitute different athletes if those athletes are already there at the Olympics. There are a lot of questions still, but I am confident they can be determined to the benefit of all."
"There is an ISU Council meeting this week, the world championships are in three weeks, and there is an ISU office-holders meeting in early June, so we would expect more concrete details no later than the end of June."

barbk
04-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Will these skaters be introduced as the Olympic medalists? I guess so. This will greatly cheapen and devalue the Olympic medals in figure skating when anybody who can skate at the world level competition and has the right citizenship can get it, not only the best skaters of the hardest event. On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing when the mythic, magic aura will be taken out of the Olympic medal and it's not unique anymore, skaters won't receive that insane amount of pressure to win it.

I don't see the team gymnastics medal cheapening the reputation of gymnastics; why would a team medal cheapen figure skating? :confused:

Marco
04-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Bring Top Jump back, and also bring in Top Spin and Top Footwork / MITF!

made_in_canada
04-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Only 8 teams get to compete in the team competition for gymnastics at the Olympics...

I don't follow gymnastics so forgive my ignorance but are there only a few countries that can feasibly participate in the team competition for gymnastics? I know that certain countries tend to dominate but how big is the potential pool of competing nations? It just seems odd to me to have an event in which there really are a very limited amount of nations who can actually compete.

As a skater, I'm not a fan of the idea. :/

And for those who say they do run throughs every day in practice anyway, it isn't that simple. Competition is an entire process, and a draining one, emotionally and physically. Combined with the importance of peaking at the right time, I'd be nervous - and let's be honest, would you rather peak for the team competition or for an individual gold medal?

Look at how many skaters have issues @ Worlds because they're tired after the Olympics -- and that's with a month to recoup.

I agree with you that equating practice run throughs with competition is not a fair comparison. Completely different ballgame, imo.

Athletes in other sports have learned to do it -- skiers, speed skaters, short track have multiple competitions and can managed to stay at their highest levels throughout the Olympics. It may take a bit of time for figure skaters to learn, but they ARE athletes.

I would think there is a big difference between trying to peak and stay at the top of your game for 4 days during a 2 week period when you are in the Olympic atmosphere vs. peaking for the Olympics, going home to your daily life and then trying to peak 6 weeks later for the worlds.

I don't not if that's really fair to compare skating with endurance sports. I'm no expert in the other sports that you brought up but the training is completely different. I also don't think it's fair to have five skaters/teams that have performed twice and then have to compete again with skaters/teams that haven't yet competed and are completely fresh. If the top skaters are able to opt out, which I'm thinking many will probably want to do to not jeopardize their individual medals then it just becomes an Olympics for the second tier skaters, which I don't think we really need.

millipied
04-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Pissev's comments on the topic pretty much same as David Raith's above. He states that the event format is yet to be finalized.
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/89170135.html

SmallFairy
04-07-2011, 06:59 AM
You're kidding, right? I don't think you even know what pure Nordic or biathlon events were.

In the good old days - all the cross country skiers went into the woods and the spectators or TV audience did not see them for 1, 2 or 3 hours. Didn't make for great television by today's standards. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8trjTH4lS4):D It has developed massively over the years and now they "skate" part of the distances (thanks to American Bill Koch), they have mass start and sprint. Many countries (including the purist from my country) voted against these changes because they were very much against the sport developing into something that was not traditional. The outcry was massive here, yet FIS and IOC welcomed the changes and new disciplines and now everybody loves it.

New disciplines will always be disliked by some and celebrated by others. Time will tell if they continue to be Olympic events.

Amen to that from a fellow Norwegian!

EricRohmer
04-07-2011, 07:27 AM
This would be very unfair when only some skaters get the opportunity while the others don't because they have no team with medal chances. The sport should be about fairness (naive, I know). Some will have multiple Olympic medals just because they happen to be Russian or Canadian. It would make me even more sad for good skaters who will never win the Olympic medal. The idea is nationalistic to the core and I hate it.

It would be a little bit better if not the same skaters can do both events.

Figure skating is an individualistic sport, not team sport. Getting medal with easy program or splatting all over the place because someone else landed many jumps or is a great ice dancer makes no sense to me.

I would love synchro competition but, well, it's not going to happen.

well said!

I'm also torn at the idea. I understand that gold is gold but to me what made figure skating at the Olympics one of THE marquee events is the drama of the one shot skates.

You know the feeling, watching live to see the skater take the Olympic ice to skate to THE Olympic free skate, THE Olympic free dance. Now that they will skate twice to the same program, to me it takes the magic and the prestige away.

Also, imagine all the :argue::barrel:soapbox::drama: that could happen. Say if Lysacek and Plushy skated similarly to their performances in Vancouver, and Plushy scored higher in the team event but lower in the individual... :scream:

'the drama of the one shot skates' <--- This.

manhn
04-07-2011, 07:39 AM
When a skater bombs, it really only affects that specific skater. But in a team competition, other skaters will be affected. I can already imagine the headlines if Canada loses a medal because its lady skater skates like she usually does. Or the US Pairs team skate like they usually do. Or watching the Reeds apologize to Japan. Or Plushenko is still banned.

And I can see the Russian audience really getting into it. I would've loved being in that type of event in Vancouver, especially when I imagine the reaction after Dube/Davison and Chan get "overscored" (assuming they skated the same way they did in their own competition). There's that nationalism that gets more intensified in a team sport environment.

In that respect, I do like it.

I also look forward to all the "What would happen if there were team events at the ______ Olympics" threads and "Should the USFSA have chosen Tara or Michelle for the Olympic Team Event in 1998" threads.

julieann
04-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Figure skating is an individualistic sport, not team sport. Getting medal with easy program or splatting all over the place because someone else landed many jumps or is a great ice dancer makes no sense to me.

I remember during the pairs medal cermony after they put a medal on Aliona they went over to Robin and gave him a medal as well even though he fell. They didn't go over to him and say "You fell on your ass, so even though you are a team, you don't get one, only she does" :rofl:

Sorry, not the way it works in any sport.

I remember watching a swimming relay in China or Barcelona when the US team had a disastrous start when the first guy slipped off the start and just splashed in the water. He was wayyyyyyy behind but the other men on his team caught up enough to win gold. ALL the men won gold, even Slippy Slipperson who almost lost the whole race. That is the whole thing about being on a team, you all win and you all lose.

Spartacus
04-07-2011, 09:01 AM
:mad: What the ****?! I absolutely HATE this ****ing idea!!!! Why? Well, I'm not ****ing ashamed to admit it so I'll tell you - it's because MK would've been an Olympic mutha****ing Champion if these mutha****ers had pushed for the inclusion of these events earlier! Yes, that's right *****es, I'm a MK fan and I'm still bitter as **** about her not having an OGM! Son of a *****! I'm so ****ing PO'd right NOW!!!!!! Mutha****ers! ****! ****!...... ****!...........****!:mad:.........:D.......:lol:

I think it's a wonderful idea!!!!

Jenny81
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
'Team event'??
What the hell was that ??? :mad:

$peedy!!!
I will kill you!!! :revenge:

Jaana
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
A positive side is, that some skaters who are not talented enough to win the gold medal or any Olympic medal in singles skating, may actually have a chance in a team event.

Frau Muller
04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
A positive side is, that some skaters who are not talented enough to win the gold medal or any Olympic medal in singles skating, may actually have a chance in a team event.

So they can run around claiming to be "Olympic Champion" when, IMO, there should be only one TRUE "Olympic Champion" in each discipline. This Cheesy Team crap just cheapens the TRUE Olympic figure skating events.

On the other hand...

If there were a Synchro event, that would be different. That would be a truly legit, new figure skating discipline. Yes, that would bring more athletes to the games...but aren't there already other "lotsa athletes" events, such as Hockey and Women's Hockey? Just saying.

GarrAarghHrumph
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
BINGO!

Just like gymnasts who happen to be members of a winning group in the Team Event at the Summer Olympics are not truly THE champions of the all-around or the apparatus events...but still can run around showing off their Olympics gold medal as if they were the Olympic individual champion. Ma & Pa Kettle watching on TV won't know the difference.

Why does figure skating have to lower itself to that level?

Why is that level considered "low"? I mean, if you're on the gold medal winning hockey team, but you only played 10 minutes of the game, does that make you *less* of a gold medalist, because your team won?

As a former gymnast, I love the team event in that sport. For athletes who normally compete as individuals, for individual medals, being able to truly be on a team is an experience not to be missed. It's a whole different dynamic.