PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 Season ISU Technical Requirements and Changes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Aussie Willy
05-09-2011, 07:16 AM
If the lady breaks the guy's nose on the way down, does that increase or decrease the GOE?:P
She gets extra points for accuracy.

Marco
05-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Let's bring on an "s" - button for the Tech panel?

"s" as in, for sh!t jumping!

ItalianFan
05-10-2011, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Vagabond;3131948]:wideeyes:

You remind me of John Martin (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cjas/dance3.html).

It's silly to deny that Anglo Saxons or Slavic people are not naturally rhythmic or sinuous like, for instance, Hispanics. Pick any guy in the street in Brazil and chances are 90% he can dance. find an American man in the street-- 90% possibility that he can't.
Then there are the exceptions: hottest rhumba ever danced....and they were 35 yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0

I for one think waltzes are just boring as dances go. swirl, swirl, swirl. thank god this year there will be something else to watch.

HisWeirness
05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Today the ISU released ISU Communication 1677 (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4844-128610-19728-18886-313635-3572-4771-layout160-129918-news-item,00.html) (34 pages) which includes technical rules for ice dance (Scales of Values, GOE, and Components for pattern dances, Scales of Values, GOE, and levels for required elements, Program components marking, clothing restrictions).

Here is an excerpt from the clothing restrictions:

- “Lady’s skirt”: it must go around the entire waist. However there may be slits in the skirt on one or both sides up to the waist.
- “Excessive nudity of lady”: the majority of the upper body must be covered.
- “Appropriateness for athletic competitions”: costumes of either partner must not have so much material or decorations that the bodyline of the skater cannot be seen.
- “Accessories and props”: this includes part of the costume used as a support in a Dance Lift.

page 30 (program components adjustments):

If there is a story or theme in the program and it is not clearly understandable to the audience (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0
The music does not have an uplifting effect (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0

barbk
05-24-2011, 04:31 PM
So we're back to the uplifting effect, eh? No more Schindler's List, Tristan & Isolde, -- and maybe not Salome either?

And I've yet to hear an Argentine Tango with anything like an uplifting effect. (Though for me personally, loss of accordions playing tango would be an improvement.)

BittyBug
05-24-2011, 04:32 PM
If there is a story or theme in the program and it is not clearly understandable to the audience (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0 And exactly how are they going to determine what is "understandable to the audience"?

SamuraiK
05-24-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL those rules are sooo pointless.. and in the ends the judges won't bother with them like they didnt with Amodio. I bet Khokhlova or Hoffmann will still manage to dress slutty enough :)

love skating
05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
“Accessories and props”: this includes part of the costume used as a support in a Dance Lift.

Will this be otherwise known as the Domnina & Shabalin rule?

I don't know why a dance has to be uplifting and/or understandable. IMO dance is art and art isn't always uplifting or understandable.

peibeck
05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
If there is a story or theme in the program and it is not clearly understandable to the audience (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0

:blah:

Where are they supposed to make this deduction in the PCS? Choreography? Performance?

I'd rather have an "annoyingly perky" deduction than one for music that isn't "uplifting." :P

HisWeirness
05-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Where are they supposed to make this deduction in the PCS? Choreography? Performance?
"not clearly understandable" comes out of composition/choreography (CC)
"music does not have an uplifting effect" comes out of interpretation/timing (IT)

Hedwig
05-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I am no native English speaker so I may be off base but isn't uplifting not meant to be something like happy/clappy/perky but more "morally erecting" (which is the direct translation from German) which could mean pretty much everything apart from elevator music?

DORISPULASKI
05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Presumably narcocorridos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcocorrido)then are explicitly forbidden ;) ??

They are a distinctly non-uplifting polka.

Ziggy
05-25-2011, 04:41 AM
I am too. I had proposed to take it out of the list of elements in one of the TC reports. That could have been a solution not having it to pass through Congress as a rule change.

Shame that it didn't work. :(

That would be awesome! Lack of steps is never going to get deducted by the blind judges otherwise.

kwanfan1818
05-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes, yes, yes.

VarBar
05-25-2011, 06:56 PM

If that rule applies to just the FD, my take of it would be that the uplifting effect is not a requirement in the SD and I'd be really curious to know why they don't use the same rule for both segments.:confused: