PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 Season ISU Technical Requirements and Changes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Cherub721
04-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I must commend HisWeirness not only for making an excellent informative post as usual, but for the creative use of greamlins. I never thought B&S' final pose from Meditation would work for rhumba, but it really does!!! :lol:

Good thing Navka retired well before these rules against stopping in one place for too long were put into effect. :P

The way I am reading it, the seniors can choose from the 5 dances, but they must do a rhumba pattern. There's no requirement that they actually choose the rhumba though. So they can skate a samba and mambo and fit the rhumba pattern in there somewhere. :confused: Why didn't they make it like juniors where they must skate cha-cha alone or cha-cha + other rhythm of choice?

SamuraiK
04-06-2011, 12:52 AM
You're generalizing too much.

I think P&B will be able to bring the sexy. I&K have the chemistry for it too.

Well yes, its a general statement, and of course there are always exceptions that break the rule but the general idea remains the same IMO.. I think Riazanova can do it, I remember enjoyin a lot her latin FD with Guerreiro back in 2008.

Some of the hottest Latin dances I can remember were performed by Russian couples. Usova/Zhulin's and Grishuk/Platov's rhumbas are my favorites.

Well if you consider those really hot I wont argue with that, but thats hardly the definition of hotness for me.

Navka wasn't bad either.
And Anissina's Flamenco was amazing.

Flamenco isn't the type of rythm we're talking here really.. dont think it qualifies as "latin" at least not in the tropical sense this OD is aiming for.

The only ones who nailed the latin/tropical character in Torino were Tanith, Grushina and Sinead Kerr IMHO. All the other girls were a total mess. Navka was hilarious in those first seconds with all that ridiculous-looking ass shaking:yikes:, but then she kinda pulled it off thanks mostly to her awesome charisma.

gkelly
04-06-2011, 01:08 AM
The way I am reading it, the seniors can choose from the 5 dances, but they must do a rhumba pattern. There's no requirement that they actually choose the rhumba though. So they can skate a samba and mambo and fit the rhumba pattern in there somewhere. :confused: Why didn't they make it like juniors where they must skate cha-cha alone or cha-cha + other rhythm of choice?

Because the Rhumba pattern dance is usually skated to music that's faster than a typical rhumba, so the steps would really go better or at least just as well with music intended for one of the other dances named?

Aussie Willy
04-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks for posting HisWeirness. Can always count on you to keep us up to date.

I am glad they have picked a theme and stuck to it. Really didn't like how this season the dances have seemed so disjointed.

Agree about slutty dance costumes. Latin is the best for those.

flyingsit
04-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Both Madisons (Chock and Hubbell) must be looking forward to an extra-slutty season!

literaryfreak
04-06-2011, 03:39 AM
What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"? This isn't the typical circular step sequence, is it, because that one uses holds?

Aussie Willy
04-06-2011, 04:12 AM
What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"? This isn't the typical circular step sequence, is it, because that one uses holds?It is a normal circular step sequence, the couple are just not in dance hold like they currently are.

literaryfreak
04-06-2011, 04:22 AM
It is a normal circular step sequence, the couple are just not in dance hold like they currently are.

Has this element been used before? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'm trying to imagine it in my mind and it seems more difficult than a no touching midline sequence - to maintain a circular path, weaving in and out, without using each other for support.

Aussie Willy
04-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Has this element been used before? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'm trying to imagine it in my mind and it seems more difficult than a no touching midline sequence - to maintain a circular path, weaving in and out, without using each other for support.
Not sure. Will certainly make it interesting.

Allen
04-06-2011, 05:43 AM
No Yankee Polka :lynch:

I didn't want the Rhumba earlier, but for some reason, I feel like it would be fun now. Like everyone else, I'm really happy about the rule that the rhythms have to make sense with other.

Allen
04-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Both Madisons (Chock and Hubbell) must be looking forward to an extra-slutty season!

I just hope they don't go over the top with that Rhumba hip action. :scream:

nashvilledancer
04-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Because the Rhumba pattern dance is usually skated to music that's faster than a typical rhumba, so the steps would really go better or at least just as well with music intended for one of the other dances named?

Yeah, the ballroom rumba is done to much slower music than the ice dance rumba. Even American Rhythm is slower, let alone International Latin, which is slower still.

Moka-Ananas
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I think I/K will have a very hot SD next season :grope:

TanithandBenFan
04-06-2011, 02:21 PM

I've seen pairs teams do circular footwork. My favorite was Inoue/Baldwin's from their 2006 SP. I looked for it on YouTube but no luck. I think it will be a nice change to the SD's next year!

Dave of the North
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"?

This sequence is for brother-sister teams...