PDA

View Full Version : The Killing on AMC - anyone watching?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Jenny
04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
A year ago I was deep into Lost, so the prospect of another mystery/drama was appealing to me. I was also a big Twin Peaks fan, but other than the general region and central idea of a girl with secrets being murdered, it's nothing like that.

I enjoyed it, thought the casting and writing was good, but it was also really depressing - does it rain in Seattle all the time?? Some of the characters, including the new homicide cop and Jasper the sometime boyfriend were really creepy, and I'd really like Sarah the main cop to stop chewing on whatever she keeps popping in her mouth, but otherwise quite good.

Any thoughts?

No spoilers please!!

rfisher
04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I DVR'd it last night and will watch it this evening. The reviews seem really good.

Allen
04-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I loved it. I was on the fence about watching it, but then saw al of the good reviews and thought "well, it's an AMC show, so it should be good." I wasn't wrong, it's very good. It's very gritty and bleak and doesn't seem as slick as many other crime shows.

Satellitegirl
04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I thought it was great...and that is coming from someone who was iffy about yet another murder mystery. The cinematography is great in this show, and the acting is stellar. Can't wait to see the next episode. :)

Jenny
04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
:cheer2: people to watch with!

Most of these actors are unfamiliar to me, but Mitch (the mom) really stood out. I looked her up this morning, and she was the spokesperson for Oceanic who held the press conference in the hangar in Hawaii when the first six Losties got off the island, and many years ago she played David Duchovny's photographer girlfriend in Kalifornia, with Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis.

Sarah's fiance wasn't listed on imdb, but I think it's the same guy who played the director Lewis Ashby on Californication, who is excellent. I hope that wasn't just a cameo.

mpal2
04-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I meant to watch this but forgot. Does anyone know if they will show repeats of the pilot?

Satellitegirl
04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
AMC usually repeats the pilots quite a bit.

mpal2
04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks. I like that the cable channels have been doing this. It probably helps out their shows too because people have multiple chances to get sucked in. :P

Bostonfan
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I recorded it and just finished watching it now. I like it. It doesn't have that standard frenetic quality that a lot of crime-based shows do. I hated that Rubicon didn't get picked up for a second season because I loved that the series took time to slow down and watch the characters really process what was happening. With this show, they are moving faster than Rubicon, but still keeping a thoughtful pace. The casting is great!

genevieve
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I enjoyed it, thought the casting and writing was good, but it was also really depressing - does it rain in Seattle all the time??
No, but the quality of the rain is such that it seeps into your soul and obliterates any memories of sunny days. Or happiness. It's kind of like being surrounded by Dementors.

Not that our current weather is getting me down or anything :shuffle:

My mom told me about this show last night. I don't ahve the channel it's on, hope it'll show up on hulu

Jenny
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
No, but the quality of the rain is such that it seeps into your soul and obliterates any memories of sunny days. Or happiness. It's kind of like being surrounded by Dementors.

You're off the hook - looks like it was filmed in Vancouver. :lol:

genevieve
04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
pretty much the exact same weather

mpal2
04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
FYI for any other interested in a repeat: the pilot is showing again on Thursday at 9 pm.

emason
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
FYI for any other interested in a repeat: the pilot is showing again on Thursday at 9 pm.

Thanks. I'm kicking myself that I missed it last night and AMC hasn't put it up on demand yet.

BittyBug
04-05-2011, 01:21 AM
I DVR'd it last night and will watch it this evening. The reviews seem really good.Ditto. I've been searching for a show to really since my teeth into since The Wire wrapped.