PDA

View Full Version : Evan Lysacek's Very Revealing Interview, Your Questions Answered

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ChrisYandek
04-05-2011, 12:32 AM
You're all very welcome. It's worth listening to as well besides reading if you get the time.

Made4Dancin
04-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Hmm... I may end up liking this Evan Lysacek yet.

Great interview.

dinakt
04-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Fascinating, thoughtful interview. Many thanks!!!

Justathoughtabl
04-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Evan is smarter than he gets credit for, and I think he comes across better in print than on video. I've read interviews where he almost (almost) expresses regret that he dedicated SO MUCH time to training, thereby becoming unable to focus on anything else--because of the comedown after the Olympics. But now he seems to be more energized about thinking about his future.

I'm not a fan of Evan's skating, even though it has become a bit less wooden recently. I like the more creative/artistic skaters. I'm also not a fan of a few things he has said over the years. However, I think he's basically a good guy. I hope he finds himself, the person, now that he's developed himself, the skater.

Jaana
04-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm not a fan of Evan's skating, even though it has become a bit less wooden recently. I like the more creative/artistic skaters.

One must remember/understand how much taller Evan is than his competitors. A tall guy´s skating never looks the same as a short guy´s. And they move very differently on the ice. Besides, I think that also Evan is creative (refering to his performances in 2 improve Ice (sp?) -shows. Artistry is different, there is not just one kind. In my opinion Evan is artistic in his own way as some other guys are in their own way.

Justathoughtabl
04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
One must remember/understand how much taller Evan is than his competitors. A tall guy´s skating never looks the same as a short guy´s. And they move very differently on the ice. Besides, I think that also Evan is creative (refering to his performances in 2 improve Ice (sp?) -shows. Artistry is different, there is not just one kind. In my opinion Evan is artistic in his own way as some other guys are in their own way.

Okay, but I still don't like his skating. It's just my opinion. I know he can't help how tall he is--and I think that's a big part of why I don't like think he looks all that great on the ice with his long arms and legs. But I also just think of him as the Tom Cruise of figure skating. Often he replaces "intensity" for real emotion. It's just how I see it, and it's not my taste. I like character-- Kurt Browning or Stephane Lambiel or Johnny Weir.

Yazmeen
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
To each their own. I fell for Evan's skating because his intensity and power reminded me of my favorite male skater of all time, Brian Boitano. Brian was also considered more of a technician than an artist, and like Evan, it took time for him to develop both.

And one fan's interpretation of emotion may be very different for another. Evan's intensity hits me the right way as a display of emotion, while some of the artistry that many love in other skaters (Oksana Bauil being my favorite example) comes across to me as histrionics and over-the-top mugging. Again, different people, different preferences.

Back to the interview, Chris, please keep us posted on my interviews like these. You really were able to get to Evan's "heart" and allowed him to reveal new sides to himself. I look forward to more of your interviews! Bravo!:40beers:

skatesindreams
04-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Yazmeen, I'm with you!

Evan has developed a style and approach that works for him,
I enjoy and admire his skating; as I do that of many people.
May he enjoy a long and successful career, wherever life takes him.

Chris, thank you for the great questions.
Evan, thanks for your candor.

Satellitegirl
04-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Great interview. Thanks for sharing!

Cheylana
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Okay, but I still don't like his skating. It's just my opinion. I know he can't help how tall he is--and I think that's a big part of why I don't like think he looks all that great on the ice with his long arms and legs. But I also just think of him as the Tom Cruise of figure skating. Often he replaces "intensity" for real emotion. It's just how I see it, and it's not my taste. I like character-- Kurt Browning or Stephane Lambiel or Johnny Weir.
That's understsandable - like Yazmeen said, to each his own. I really like all of those guys you mentioned, but I think Evan brings something a bit different to the table that I also like. :)

Aimless
04-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Fabulous, thoughtful interview. I feel I know Evan better. I'm proud of him as the US champion.

ChrisYandek
04-06-2011, 04:16 AM
I feel like we've gotten every figure skating fan in the world to come to our page. Thank you all for your support.

In the past I've interview now Evan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Sasha Cohen and Scott Hamilton.

Every so often I'll make an effort to do another figure skating profile. Who would you like to see me speak to?

ChrisYandek
04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your continued support of http://www.cyinterview.com. You guys are amazing. Again, interview suggestions?

Yazmeen
04-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd love to see on in the future with Alissa Czisny, especially how she worked to get over her head issues and make such a comeback.

dinakt
04-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Glad to see the thread bumped up.
I'd love to hear so many people interviewed, i don't know where to start! Maybe with Orser- I'd love to hear where he is in life and his opinions on skating vs coaching without the edge of controversy. But really, any in- depth interview would be greatly appreciated.