PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews and Recommendations

Pages : [1] 2 3

agalisgv
04-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Okay, I have none. But I'd really like to read y'alls :D. I'm thinking of seeing Source Code and Lincoln Lawyer. Any good?

Oh yeah, Rango and Insidious are other possibilities.

Well, really any reviews of any movies of any sorts--have at it.

And if ebayj is around, any reviews of limited release movies would be greatly enjoyed :). Not that I'd likely ever see it, but vicarious movie-going works for me :saint:

Andrushka
04-03-2011, 04:18 AM
I've heard that The Chronicle's of Narnia:Voyage of the Dawn Treader was good but not as good as the first one. I am waiting to see for myself.

I've also been told by a movie going friend that I am Number Four is really good as well.

reese
04-03-2011, 04:20 AM
I saw Limitless the other day. It was AWFUL.

BigB08822
04-03-2011, 04:41 AM
My bf and I are going to see Lincoln Lawyer tomorrow so I will be sure to come back and let you know how it is.

I am glad you started this thread. I watch a lot of odd movies on Netflix and some of them end up being quite good so I can let you all know which ones to look out for.

I recently saw a French horror movie called Inside. It was one of the goriest things I have seen but that is how the French like to do them. I recommend it if you like gory horror movies. It is subtitled for those of us who don't speak French but there isn't a lot of dialogue so it is no big deal. Give it a try if you like that kind of thing.

agalisgv
04-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks all

Anyone seen the Adjustment Bureau? That looked interesting.

Just got back from seeing Source Code. Rather trippy movie--reminded me of Inception in some ways (insofar as it messes with reality). I liked it and would give it a good recommendation to anyone considering it. If anyone has seen it, I had some questions about the very end (I can post it in spoilers because it is a spoiler kind of movie).

Matryeshka
04-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Lincoln Lawyer's pretty good. Skip The Adjustment Bureau (sorry PRLady--I'm with your daughter and BR on this one). Unless you're looking for something to mock--then I highly recommend it.

agalisgv
04-03-2011, 05:58 AM
I saw Limitless the other day. It was AWFUL. What was wrong with it? The plot sounds fairly interesting.

Skip The Adjustment Bureau (sorry PRLady--I'm with your daughter and BR on this one). Unless you're looking for something to mock--then I highly recommend it. It's that bad? Was the entire movie a fail, or was it just a particular actor/plot hole?

My hopes are being dashed :shuffle:

Matryeshka
04-03-2011, 06:08 AM
No, the entire movie wasn't a fail, and the love-story aspect of it was well done. I totally bought into Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's Epic Lurrrve, which was a good piece of acting on their part and directing on the director's part, as you would not have bought it in other situations. The acting was good all the way around.

The whole thing was just hokey, and the ending was eye-rolling and cliched. The sci-fi/fantasy aspect of it was not well thought-out and poorly done. It was almost like they said, you know, we gotta wrap this up amd close it up, but we don't have time, so we'll pull a conclusion out of a hat. I've heard the short story it's based on is much different and much better.

Theatregirl1122
04-03-2011, 06:08 AM
I've heard that The Chronicle's of Narnia:Voyage of the Dawn Treader was good but not as good as the first one. I am waiting to see for myself.

If you like the books at all, it was TERRIBLE. I have no idea why you would make movies based on a truly great book series and basically throw the books out the window. If you haven't read the books, maybe you will like it. I have no idea. But if you have read the books, this one is AT LEAST as bad as Prince Caspian. I am pretty sure they read the dust jacket and nothing else.

genevieve
04-03-2011, 06:11 AM
I finally rented Burlesque :shuffle: It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, although Xtina Aguilera's wig was a nightmare - you know when your hair looks more fake than Cher's, there's a problem - and overall she did not exactly look "fresh". but aside from some real clunkiness about the central relationship and the unbelievably bad final song, it's good campy fun.

MR-FAN
04-03-2011, 07:14 AM
I just saw the movie Flipped, and I loved it. simple, honest, and totally sucks you in. That one was a pleasant surprise

pilgrimsoul
04-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Okay, I know this recommendation is out there, but Paul (yes, the alien movie) was hilarious! When my husband & I saw it, the entire audience was howling with laughter. This is NOT a kid movie - adult situations & language, & the movie pokes major fun of creationism. But if you're not uptight about religion (creationism specifically), it's a really funny movie.

screech
04-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I saw Jane Eyre and enjoyed it, though the main actors were the most awkward kissers. Plus, I had to giggle every time the horse was on screen, because Mia Wasikowska (Jane) said in an interview that every time Michael Fassbender (Mr. Rochester) got on the horse, it got rather aroused. The trainers would walk it and ride it to calm it down, then Michael would get back on and it would happen again. But in any case, it was a good movie.

One of my friends saw the Lincoln Lawyer and enjoyed it. She said that it's amazing how people always think of Matthew McConnaughay as a crappy actor in his crappy romcoms, but then he does something like this and you go 'wow, he can actually really act!'

I'll probably go see Scream 4 when it comes out in a few weeks. It'll be oh so awesomely crappy.

John 3 17
04-03-2011, 08:00 AM
If you like the books at all, it was TERRIBLE. I have no idea why you would make movies based on a truly great book series and basically throw the books out the window. If you haven't read the books, maybe you will like it. I have no idea. But if you have read the books, this one is AT LEAST as bad as Prince Caspian. I am pretty sure they read the dust jacket and nothing else.

AMEN! I have loathed this entire series. After the first one was so bad, I skipped PC and then read AWFUL things about VDT. I'm truly hoping they quit and don't make any more because they're so bad I think they will actually turn people off the books thinking they must be awful, too (which, of course, they're the best books ever written imho ;))

The BBC series is far and away better than these. Sure, they have very low-budget fx, but they're true to the story and they must've spent a lot of $$ on that animatronic lion (who is really gorgeous).

-Bridget

genevieve
04-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Every time I read Lincoln Lawyer, I think of Lincoln Logs. did anyone else have those as a kid?