PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews and Recommendations

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Andrushka
04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
If you like the books at all, it was TERRIBLE. I have no idea why you would make movies based on a truly great book series and basically throw the books out the window. If you haven't read the books, maybe you will like it. I have no idea. But if you have read the books, this one is AT LEAST as bad as Prince Caspian. I am pretty sure they read the dust jacket and nothing else.

Unfortunately,I have read the books and am in the process of reading that part of the series.I have been exclaiming throughout the book "That was NOT in the movie"... :lol: I hate it when they change things,when what is written is equally impressive/exciting.

Andrushka
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Well they changed Caspian's entire character both in age (he is supposed to be younger than Edmund) and in temperament, changed a lot of the dynamic between him and Peter and in general made Peter a lot less likeable. And then there was the whole foolish "let's storm Miraz's castle and get our entire army killed" business which really bothered me because the decision is not consistent with either character. I don't require the movie to be an exact retelling of the book, I was perfectly happy with the first movie which, while it makes a few changes, stays true to the characters and the story. But Prince Caspian was fairly off and Dawn Treader was a disaster.

(sorry to anyone who doesn't care about this at all.)

Well,the majority of that movie,didn't happen in the book at all.That's what is so bad.

Allen
04-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Should I see Lincoln Lawyer or Insidious? I love horror movies. Is Insidious good?

I thought Insidious was pretty good actually.

talulabell
04-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I saw Limitless the other day. It was AWFUL.

I saw Limitless last Saturday, and really enjoyed it. I thought the plot was good, as was Bradley Cooper. And while he is quite handsome, I've never been a fan of his. The only thing I didnt like was the camera "trick", where the camera would travel, in fast motion, down some avenue thru Manhattan. They just did it one time too many times (at least), and I thought I was going to be motion sick.

Okay, I know this recommendation is out there, but Paul (yes, the alien movie) was hilarious! When my husband & I saw it, the entire audience was howling with laughter. This is NOT a kid movie - adult situations & language, & the movie pokes major fun of creationism. But if you're not uptight about religion (creationism specifically), it's a really funny movie.

I think Paul looks very funny. It's high on my list to see. I'm glad to hear you liked it.

<snip>
Death at a Funeral=bad/not funny
<snip>

Not sure which one you're talking about. THe original British version of this movie was hysterical!

:shuffle: We also saw Red Riding Hood this weekend, and I hate to say it, but it wasnt as bad as I expected. A little Twilighty/music video-y, but once it got started, it didnt suck (hows that for praise).

Mozart
04-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I just got back from Insidious. I loved it. Some parts were hilariously funny while I wanted to jump out of my seat at other parts. Loved it

Theatregirl1122
04-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Well,the majority of that movie,didn't happen in the book at all.That's what is so bad.

I'm not exactly sure which of the movies you are talking about or whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

BigB08822
04-08-2011, 07:12 AM
If you like documentaries then I recommend watching Pie in the Sky. It is a documentary about Brigid Berlin who was good friends with Andy Warhol and part of his entourage. Quite fascinating. It was shot 10 years ago and she fully participates and it is interesting to see her then and now (10 yrs ago). She is one extremely interesting person. I wish I could have been a part of that, seems like a blast!

BigB08822
05-05-2011, 03:43 AM
I put on a random movie today that is on Netflix Streaming that was very good. It has Ryan Gosling in it so of course I had to look for the eye candy if nothing else. It also stars Kirsten Dunst.

The name of the movie is All Good Things.

It is about a man who is a real estate heir and his wife. He has some obvious mental issues and then the wife goes missing. Lots of twists. This is a true story and I actually remember this making the news but did not realize until the very end which story I was hearing. Something happens at the end and you go "ah ha, I remember that CRAZY story." I had not heard much about the beginning, it wasn't as scandalous, so it didn't click which was nice because it kept my interest the entire time. Give it a try!

smurfy
05-05-2011, 03:53 AM
I belong to a film club that sees movies before release. We saw 'Incendies' over a month ago and it is now out in NYC, not sure where else. Excellent movie, disturbing, so some may not like it. Set in Montreal and mostly Middle East (country not named, but probably Lebanon). Very well made, interesting story, well paced, great acting. I have belonged to this film club since 2002, we see 14 movies a year. This is the only movie that received no negative ratings (Bomb, Poor) and only positive (Excellent, Good, Fair).

BigB08822
05-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Is Incendies the one about the kids (adults really, but someones kids) tracking down their mother or her origins and going to the middle East? The previews looked powerful.

Allskate
05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I saw about 20 minutes of Eat Pray Love, got nauseated and turned it off. I never disliked Julia Roberts but few characters are more annoying than hers in this movie.

To be fair, the movie is based on a book and the character in the book is really annoying and obnoxious. What makes that really sad is that the book is not fiction and Julia's character is the book's author.

smurfy
05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Is Incendies the one about the kids (adults really, but someones kids) tracking down their mother or her origins and going to the middle East? The previews looked powerful.

Yes. Cool that the previews are powerful. The movie stays with you. The movie is based on a play, and the story is well constructed.

Allen
05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Recent movies I would suggest:

Win Win: Amy Ryan and Paul Giamatti are really great in this film
Hanna: I found this film to be escapist fun at its best.
The Arbor: I'm a sucker for unconventional documentaries.
Children of Hiroshima: Really stunning documentary
13 Assassins: Great Japanese action film
Armadillo: A documentary about Danish soldiers in Afghanistan

Recently out on DVD:

Rabbit Hole: I HATE Nicole Kidman, but I loved this movie. Aaron Eckhart is my one big celebrity crush and Sandra Oh is also great here.

The Ghost Writer: I really love this movie, except for Kim Cattrall's accent, which may actually be her own.

Machete: Maybe not as recent, but for those of you into Grindhouse cinema, you'll love this. Beyond the exploitation factor, there is an amazing sense of rage against the establishment in this film that I found really, really interesting.

The Fighter: David O. Russell is one of my favorite directors and I love every single actor in this film. It's a great, great movie.

Artemis@BC
05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Recently out on DVD:

Rabbit Hole: I HATE Nicole Kidman, but I loved this movie. Aaron Eckhart is my one big celebrity crush and Sandra Oh is also great here.

The Ghost Writer: I really love this movie, except for Kim Cattrall's accent, which may actually be her own.

ITA on both of these. I don't have any particular feeling for Kidman one way or the other, but she was amazing in this, well deserving of the nomination. But Eckhart should have been nominated for his performance too, he was just as impressive.

The Ghost Writer was suspense the way it should be done. And of course Ewan McGregor is worth watching in just about anything. Now I'm dying to read the book.

As for Incendies, I saw it at a film festival last year and it blew me away. I'm glad it's finally getting wider release.