PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews and Recommendations

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Cyn
04-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Every time I read Lincoln Lawyer, I think of Lincoln Logs. did anyone else have those as a kid?

Oh yeah…….Once the novelty of making the same damn cabin over and over and over, my cousins and I discovered that they made great weapons (and had them taken away in the process) :o .

emason
04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I saw Jane Eyre and enjoyed it, though the main actors were the most awkward kissers. Plus, I had to giggle every time the horse was on screen, because Mia Wasikowska (Jane) said in an interview that every time Michael Fassbender (Mr. Rochester) got on the horse, it got rather aroused. The trainers would walk it and ride it to calm it down, then Michael would get back on and it would happen again. But in any case, it was a good movie.

I saw Jane Eyre last week and am not recommending it; there is no chemistry between the leads at all and the second hour of the movie feels like it lasts for 3. It just plods on and on and on; I thought it would never be over.

Grannyfan
04-03-2011, 02:07 PM
If you have tweens to entertain, the new Wimpy Kid movie isn't bad. Not believable at all, but what else is new. And I know this isn't a new movie, but I recently watched Whip It, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

immoimeme
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
The Ghost Writer=good/intellectual
Greenburg=bad/not funny
Death at a Funeral=bad/not funny
Repo Men=good/gory
$5 A Day=good/funny
Harry Brown=good/gory
That Evening Sun=good/thought-provoking
Iron Man 2=good/action-packed
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky=good/sexy
Babies=good/thought-provoking
Robin Hood=good/action+intellectual
You Don't Know Jack=good/thought-provoking
Inception=bad/total suck
Gamer=meh/interesting concept but.....
The Social Network=bad/total suck
The American=bad/v useful as a sleep aid
Nowhere Boy=good/tear-jerker

allezfred
04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Whoever knew the Chronicle of Narnia films were so hated? :shuffle:

OK, the children are slappable in all three films, but I quite enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Thought Voyage of the Dawn Treader was OK, although that may have something to do with being stuck on an airplane with nothing to do. Prince Caspian was a bit meh, but I still watched it to the end.

I never thought much about the books, so that may help. ;)

IceAlisa
04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I saw about 20 minutes of Eat Pray Love, got nauseated and turned it off. I never disliked Julia Roberts but few characters are more annoying than hers in this movie.

BigB08822
04-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I saw about 20 minutes of Eat Pray Love, got nauseated and turned it off. I never disliked Julia Roberts but few characters are more annoying than hers in this movie.

Thanks for the warning. This is on Netflix streaming and I've been tempted but keep remembering horrible things I've heard about it.

IceAlisa
04-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the warning. This is on Netflix streaming and I've been tempted but keep remembering horrible things I've heard about it.

It's unoriginal, narcissistic and annoying. It makes Gwyneth Paltrow" The Goop blog seem adorable by comparison.

KikiSashaFan
04-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Okay, I know this recommendation is out there, but Paul (yes, the alien movie) was hilarious! When my husband & I saw it, the entire audience was howling with laughter. This is NOT a kid movie - adult situations & language, & the movie pokes major fun of creationism. But if you're not uptight about religion (creationism specifically), it's a really funny movie.

We're going to see this tonight. Glad to know it was decent.

My girlfriends and I rented Eat Pray Love. We fast fowarded through any part that didn't include Javier Bardem :swoon:

IceAlisa
04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Yes, the sight of Javier Bardem was probably the only good thing. But I didn't get that far.

Theatregirl1122
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
AMEN! I have loathed this entire series. After the first one was so bad, I skipped PC and then read AWFUL things about VDT.

I thought the first one was a fairly faithful adaptation, actually. I saw it with my cast of the play The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (so they had all read it) and we were really happy with their adaptation. Which is part of why we were all so miserable when the next two seemed to be barely based on the books.

BigB08822
04-04-2011, 05:11 AM
We didn't make it the movie today, we were going to see Lincoln Lawyer. My bf had a gift card and it turns out it is for only one theater in town and that theater is one we refuse to go to. Not safe and you can never enjoy a movie. We are just going to give the gift card away as a re-gift, haha.

bek
04-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I thought the first one was a fairly faithful adaptation, actually. I saw it with my cast of the play The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (so they had all read it) and we were really happy with their adaptation. Which is part of why we were all so miserable when the next two seemed to be barely based on the books.

I didn't think Prince Caspian was THAT bad when it comes to keeping with the story. I mean sure they did Caspian/Susan but the basic plot line was still there IMO. Movie adaptations are never going to be exact.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader was glaringly different from the book. I mean there are literally no words to describe how different. Although I sort of understand why, I wondered how they'd make a movie out of that one (the most boring book).

Theatregirl1122
04-04-2011, 06:25 AM
I didn't think Prince Caspian was THAT bad when it comes to keeping with the story. I mean sure they did Caspian/Susan but the basic plot line was still there IMO. Movie adaptations are never going to be exact.

Well they changed Caspian's entire character both in age (he is supposed to be younger than Edmund) and in temperament, changed a lot of the dynamic between him and Peter and in general made Peter a lot less likeable. And then there was the whole foolish "let's storm Miraz's castle and get our entire army killed" business which really bothered me because the decision is not consistent with either character. I don't require the movie to be an exact retelling of the book, I was perfectly happy with the first movie which, while it makes a few changes, stays true to the characters and the story. But Prince Caspian was fairly off and Dawn Treader was a disaster.

(sorry to anyone who doesn't care about this at all.)

Mozart
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Should I see Lincoln Lawyer or Insidious? I love horror movies. Is Insidious good?