PDA

View Full Version : International developmental opportunities: why is Skate CAN not using them?

Pages : 1 [2]

fan
08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
the thornhill comp this weekend even showed a lot of potential in women. gabrielle daleman landed a 3 lutz (a bit OVER-rottated) in each Jr program (she gets amazing spring and height, not sure if she is age eligible), alaine chartrand went for several triples in sr (including a 3 lutz), Rachel Greben landed a 3 flip, 3 loop and 3 sal in Jr. Things aren't as dire as they seem to be...

sadie
08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I thought that Canada only had 1 spot for each JGP for dance but there are 2 teams listed for the Poland JGP. Can anyone explain this?

nadioso
08-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I thought that Canada only had 1 spot for each JGP for dance but there are 2 teams listed for the Poland JGP. Can anyone explain this?

When countries above Canada don't use all their slots , Canada does have a right to add an additional entry.

In this case Slovakia ( 4th highest ranked country in ice dance ) did not use its slot so Canada got an extra entry.

Just checked the Poland list and again Canada is only sending one man ( they have the right to send 2 ) and one pair :mad::wall:

nadioso
08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
the thornhill comp this weekend even showed a lot of potential in women. gabrielle daleman landed a 3 lutz (a bit OVER-rottated) in each Jr program (she gets amazing spring and height, not sure if she is age eligible), alaine chartrand went for several triples in sr (including a 3 lutz), Rachel Greben landed a 3 flip, 3 loop and 3 sal in Jr. Things aren't as dire as they seem to be...

I checked the results of Daleman and Greben and if you combined their SP scores in their respective groups to the FS scores in the final ( not the FS group scores that were much lower ) then both of them met the 115 minimum set by Skate Canada.

What is also encouraging most of the junior ladies in the final improved their FS scores over that in the group stage. This is important as the final is a much better simulation ( ie high quality field ) of what one would expect in international competition.

Only JGP-eligible ladies can compete in Junior ladies in Canada. Except for pairs (no age restrictions ) you must be Junior age eligible to compete in the other junior events in Canada.

The real problem is that we have only 4 ladies slots available. Because of this there simply is not room to give assignments to deserving ladies.

The only way this can be solved is a good performance by whoever we send to Junior Worlds. JW results determine JGP slots and we failed to qualify anyone for the free skate hence the reduction to 4 spots.

skatingpj
08-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone! It was great to be at Thornhill if only for a day because of visiting family ...Fan caught me in the stands and asked me to find out if I could about this very question of all of the Jr GP spots not being used. I asked 2 different people at different times their opinion. When I asked Mike Slipchuk and told him that I would be posting the answer, this is what he had to say. He didn't talk about money but he did talk about the fact that the application deadline for the first two or 3 Jr GPs had already passed and Skate Canada had made the decision to really utilize the Summer comps as a way of determining whether or not a skater was ready to be put out on the international scene. He also said that in truth if a skater isn't able to make top 10, then it potentially becomes a big hole to climb out of. Rep is after all a part of this sport - especially for newbies on the international scene. I had the chance to talk to Fan and another couple of people after the fact and we entered into a lively discussion about needing to compete in order to understand how to compete not to mention minimum scores. Point taken. I am not sure what the solution to this is - but I promised Fan I would let y'all know the basics of my conversation. More later if I can find out more details as I have to mention that my conversation with Mike Slipchuk was on the staircase and on the fly...cheers :) Pj

fan
08-16-2011, 02:45 AM
thanks for sharing ;-)

Annes
08-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Entire post.

Thanks so much for this, PJ! It was so helpful of you to take the time to ask about this.