PDA

View Full Version : Adam Rippon Makes Coaching Change - NOT an April Fool's thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

sk9tingfan
04-01-2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=45978&type=media

Not unexpected. I approve

HisWeirness
04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
From article:

Adam Rippon, a two-time World Junior champion and the gold medalist at the 2010 International Skating Union (ISU) Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, announced today that he has ended his two-year professional relationship with coach Brian Orser and will train with Ghislain Briand, who has served as a member of his coaching staff for the past two years.

"I want to thank Brian for our time together," Rippon said. "He's very much responsible for making me the competitor and athlete I am today, and I'm grateful for that."
PJ (http://twitter.com/#!/skatingpj) just tweeted (http://twitter.com/#!/skatingpj/status/53854094862991360) that Adam is remaining at the Cricket Club.

Ajax
04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I didn't know there were problems between Brian and Adam... I mean I know he didn't have the best of seasons this year. Tough for Brian, with his two best students leaving him one after another.

Satellitegirl
04-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Weird day to announce that. My first thought was "April Fools?"

pinky166
04-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Weird day to announce that. My first thought was "April Fools?"

Haha same here. But this makes sense, and I'm glad Adam is staying at the Cricket Club, because I know how close he and Christina are and that would be sad if he left entirely. It is interesting though how many students have left Brian recently, not only Yuna and Adam but also Min-Jung, Yea-Ji, Rylie...it appears that Christina is the only noteworthy pupil of Brian's left, unless i'm missing someone? Maybe that will be good news for Christina though as she can now be his top priority.

genevieve
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I also expected this to be an April Fool's thread :eek:

I hope this will be a good step for Adam. While it was an improvement to get him out of Morozov's eville clutches, Adam's programs this year really did not suit him. Here's hoping this change works for the lil angel boy and he has a good season next year.

DickButtonFan
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I thought this was another April Fools joke as well.

Is Brian going to be ok with Adam staying at the Cricket Club? When Yuna wanted to stay there, Brian said he wanted her to leave.

Loves_Shizuka
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I just have a feeling that Brian is quite a difficult man. Just a hunch.

pinky166
04-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I just have a feeling that Brian is quite a difficult man. Just a hunch.

I mean, we've all seen the way he acts in the Kiss N Cry...

Also, I don't think he'd have an issue with Adam staying at the Cricket Club if the coaching change was solely Adam's decision and those two ended their relationship on good terms. With Yuna, things had gotten sour, and obviously wherever Yuna is, there's going to be a lot of press coverage, media, drama, etc. It's quite a different situation, IMO.

overedge
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I mean, we've all seen the way he acts in the Kiss N Cry...

Yes, because that is a truly reliable indicator of how a coach interacts with their skaters during the other 23.9 hours of the day :rolleyes:

manhn
04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Can Brian coach Canadian skaters now? Nam Nguyen, move to Toronto!

BigB08822
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Wow, not looking good for Brian Orser. I am not sure if any top skaters would consider switching to him if they are busy wondering why he lost so many star pupils.

I don't know if it is fair to assume something happened. People always think things ended so horribly. Maybe Adam is just upset with his results and isn't going to hang around another season to see if the same thing happens. Life in figure skating is very short, you can't spend an extra year just hoping for the best. You have to make a change so you can at least say you tried and have no regrets. That being said, maybe something did happen but let's not start rumors.

Lacey
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Can we all say triple axel? At least to my inexperienced eye, everything else was gorgeous. However, maybe he's got it, and it's all just in his head.

I'm not sure about staying at the same rink, that would spook me, but maybe he just doesn't know where else to go, and liked this coach who he had used a little before.

I predict good things for Adam, actually they are already good, so I predict the best of things.

mrinalini
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't know if Brian is difficult or not (actually, I've had the opposite impression from what I've seen of him off-ice), but this change isn't surprising considering how chilly he seemed to be with Adam in the K & C this season. I think, with having lost Kim, there's added pressure on Brian to produce another star pupil to show that his success with Kim wasn't just a fluke, and obviously Adam just wasn't giving him that this season (not that I blame Adam).

I do hope that this coaching change helps to turn Adam into a more interesting skater - I remember being quite excited over him a while ago, but lately it seems like he's stagnated and I find him very generic to watch.

reese
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I hope this will be a good step for Adam. While it was an improvement to get him out of Morozov's eville clutches, Adam's programs this year really did not suit him. Here's hoping this change works for the lil angel boy and he has a good season next year.

I blame David Wilson more than Brian for Adam's totally cliche music choices this year though.